You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Shield

Section_31

"No speak Ebonics, shithead." Quality.

There are so many little incidences and clever set ups on second viewing. I particularly liked the 'Ass invader' dildo/Acevada pun and...

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

...the way that Dutch and Claudette establish the signs of a rape victim in the episode leading up to the assault on Acevada. Obviously the viewer knows what's gone on but I found myself wanting to shout "Idiots, the signs are all there!" at the TV. The 3rd season really ramps it up and it's mostly down to Shane; Myra, buying her the car and letting her in to his world along with the Tayvon incident, everything so far this season down to him. Tayvon is one cool cat.

"No speak Ebonics, shithead." Quality.

Some of the dialogue in thet episode is off the scale for quality. When he's shaking down that crack head:

"Delante' scopes this bitch taking down number plates, goes outside, tells her ass to get ghost or be swarmed on by a nigga, after that I don't know what happened next, when homes came past with the product I was too busy getting my smoke on."

"I'm an American citizen!"

Shane: "Not in my world."

I actually think there's a lot of subtle racism in The Shield. From the fact the strke team are all white and listen to 'white' music in the clubhouse, while outside is painted to be dangerous and hispanic. Gilroy says something like 'have you driven around the city lately? Me and your are endangered species my friend'.

I do genuinely believe the writers - who were all white - thought LA was a shithole.

• 2 weeks later...

The way he treats 'Taylor' the fence is fucking quality too. He just shows up with Shane and scares away some women who are buying stolen gear out the back of his van. Shane just walks up and steals his ghetto blaster and walks back to the car without saying a word. Vic goes "you having a street sail and you never told us Taylor, and I thought we were on yo mailin list?". Then as he's about to go he gives him a fiver and tells him to go and buy a taco, but Taylor goes, "c'mon man it's a 50 dollar box!" and you just see Shane pointing at him and smiling through the windscreen, at which point Vic snatches the five back and walks off.

Vic has got him over a barrel because he forced him to sign a confession on a three strikes conviction, and Taylor goes later - after giving him some info - "are you gonna take your hand out of my ass now?" and Vic goes "no, and if this tip doesn't pan out I'm gonna make a fist."

Another time Taylor asks "are you gonna hold this third strike over me forever?" and Vic goes "I could lie to you, but I have far too much respect for you as a person...yes I am."

It's just absolute, constant, gold.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

"VIC MACKEY KILLS COPS! HE ... HE DEALS DRUGS! HE BEATS SUSPECTS! You know what he did yesterday? He ... He screwed my ex wife, with the sole purpose of making this investigation seem like a personal vendetta. He may have ... assassinated a gang leader. And that's just all in one day! I wonder what he's going to do today! I wonder what he's going to do tomorrow! This guy ... this guy's just pissing ... he's pissing all over us! He's pissing on you ... wha ... what does it taste like? Chief, what does it taste like, 'cause it tastes like PISS to me!"

Just finished watching Season 5 last night. Fucking hell, what a brilliant piece of TV.

I haven't read the rest of the thread as I don't want to catch any spoilers.

The killing of Lem was a brilliant shock and I can't wait to see where this goes now. Although I do think if they were to kill off a member of the strike team I would have preferred the other quiet fella with the melted face (just shows how much of an impact he has on the show as I can't even remember his name).

Forest Whittaker has been superb as the IAD Kavanugh. The introduction of his character has really led to the other characters stepping up their game and the enemy-of-your-enemy-is-also-your-friend triangle between Kavanaugh, strike team and Aceveda has worked brilliantly.

I was getting a little bored with the format through season 4, it was all becoming a little stale, but season 5 has grabbed my interest by the balls and I cant wait to get season 6 started.

• 2 weeks later...
Got the final two episodes left tonight.

Loved it, still think the Forrest Whittaker series was the best one.

Although i'm gutted to be at the end, at least I'll be able to read this thread!

You'll love them mate.

The penultimate episode is the best of the lot.

• 2 months later...