Quantcast
The Shield - Page 14 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Section_31

The Shield

By far my favourite TV show of all time, I've watched it countless times and always smile at Sections quotes. I think I'll start re-watching this tonight as its been over a year.

• Upvote 2

Ironically though due to Sean Ryan's penchant for nepotism The Shield also has comfortably some of the worst actors I've ever seen on the small screen. 

Corine (his bird) Ronny (his mate) Cassidy (Chiklis's daughter). Emolia (don't know but shocking).

The Kavanaugh vs Vic stuff is some of the most itense shit I've ever seen on telly or film, utterly unreal. 

When he gets Vendrell to walk him through the house where they killed Terry. "You think I don't know about the days and the nights you spent being Antwon Mitchell's, bought - bitch?" Then he sort of winks at him and nods slowly. Fucking nuts he is. 

• Upvote 2

I’m jealous of everyone who is watching this for the first time. 

the best Box Set ever Written.

Of all the relationships on screen, between Vic and the various characters that he either works with, against, criminals, cops trying to bring him down etc, the one relationship that’s intriguing is the one with Wyms. 

You better figure out how much you hate me. And how you're going to deal with that. 'Cause I'm not going anywhere.

• Upvote 3

Finished series 1. Having a small breather before cracking on with series 2. Some random observations:

- I think this is the third time i've watched series 1. I watched it when it was on originally (and swiftly bought the DVDs so i didn't have to wait for Channel 5 - i used to get perfect quality DVD from some dude on ebay. I'm hoping they all still work...). I then rewatched it with a missus not long after.

- They cram in a lot of stuff in the first series, I was surprised. Stuff like the Armenian's, Dutch's serial killer i thought they came later. The whole gilroy storyline i thought was way later on. When Vic realises he's at his house with his wife and kids is a great moment.

- It's funnier than i remember. So many one liners and put downs, especially from the Strike Team, Dutch, Claudette. 

- The one-off supporting cast are really excellent. Even if it's just some gang banger in it for a few minutes, they usually have something about them.

- Someone else had posted that the best episodes are where someone (usually Aceveda) and the Strike Team need to find someone/fix something before the other does. These make great TV. The episode where everyone is looking for the SUV with the drugs in is brilliant. 

- I was surprised series 1 dated back to 2002. I was worried it might have dated and i was looking back with rose tinted glasses. But apart from the pilot episode which is understandably a little shaky, the show really gets into it's groove very early on and doesn't let up. 

- Bearing that in mind, i personally think the Shield tramples most other shows underfoot. I still, after all these years, only put The Sopranos ahead of it. How lucky were we to have NYPD Blue, then The Sopranos, followed by The Shield, followed by The Wire? (Obviously a bit of overlap between them).

• Upvote 2

Just finished this today. Absolutely loved it, even if ALL 4 screwed me over with the very last episode being about 8 inches wide by about 4 inches for the last 10 mins because they had pulled up all the other shit you don't want to watch alongside the episode.

It's truly wonderful TV, tense, sad, action packed and as johnsusername said above, the one liners are laugh out loud funny, I reckon Shane drops the most in over the 7 seasons.

I've recommended this to anyone and everyone, if you haven't watched it then get on board, it's fucking brilliant.

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Finished series 1. Having a small breather before cracking on with series 2. Some random observations:

- I think this is the third time i've watched series 1. I watched it when it was on originally (and swiftly bought the DVDs so i didn't have to wait for Channel 5 - i used to get perfect quality DVD from some dude on ebay. I'm hoping they all still work...). I then rewatched it with a missus not long after.

- They cram in a lot of stuff in the first series, I was surprised. Stuff like the Armenian's, Dutch's serial killer i thought they came later. The whole gilroy storyline i thought was way later on. When Vic realises he's at his house with his wife and kids is a great moment.

- It's funnier than i remember. So many one liners and put downs, especially from the Strike Team, Dutch, Claudette. 

- The one-off supporting cast are really excellent. Even if it's just some gang banger in it for a few minutes, they usually have something about them.

- Someone else had posted that the best episodes are where someone (usually Aceveda) and the Strike Team need to find someone/fix something before the other does. These make great TV. The episode where everyone is looking for the SUV with the drugs in is brilliant. 

- I was surprised series 1 dated back to 2002. I was worried it might have dated and i was looking back with rose tinted glasses. But apart from the pilot episode which is understandably a little shaky, the show really gets into it's groove very early on and doesn't let up. 

- Bearing that in mind, i personally think the Shield tramples most other shows underfoot. I still, after all these years, only put The Sopranos ahead of it. How lucky were we to have NYPD Blue, then The Sopranos, followed by The Shield, followed by The Wire? (Obviously a bit of overlap between them).

Interesting that you mention it dates back to 2002. Sean Ryan specifically talks about 9/11 as being relevant to the show in the sense that a lot of it was about how much you're prepared to tolerate in order to stay safe. Are you willing to see brown and black people get their head shoved through some French windows if it keeps crime down? Much the same discussions were being had at the time about things like waterboarding.

Season one is probably the weakest season for me. The original plan for the series was for Vic to be corrupt and the strike team to be background extras essentially, hence Ronny getting an acting job! Lem only got the job because of his look, he'd auditioned for Terry Crowley but they liked him and kept him around.

But the more they worked with them the more they liked the dynamic. 

The studio didn't like Goggins at first so they wrote an episode purely to showcase him, the chicken fighting one I think. After that the show started to turn into what it became.

The first two episodes of seson 2 were what really blew me away and I knew this was a seriously special show now.

• Upvote 1

I’ve got the bird into watching this and she’s obsessed with it. 

*SPOILER ALERT*

We’ve just got to where Mara is being a dick, has stolen the money train money for her mum and is fucking everything up. 

Bird: “She’s an even bigger cunt than her mum”. 

I was so proud of her! 

• Upvote 1

Good. I think I have another run in me. Will be nice to watch it, without having to call in sick for work, as "just one more episode" turns into "I should probably see how they get out of this one."