You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Shield

Section_31

Finished them last night, fantastic.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Shane's arc was probably the best realised, a full turn from hubris to pathos and you really felt for him in the end, but ultimately his stupidity did him in.

Vic's ending was exquisite, the victory from the previous episode brilliantly inverted, loved it.

CCH Pounder's was a bit of a damp squib, but she played it as well as she always does.

The other, more peripheral characters (bar Billings) felt a bit sidelined, which is fair enough but still you feel there could've been more tension about who was looking to step up and there's not much shown about Danny's reaction to the full truth about Vic. Especially considering the wrangles over the kid. I think that despite the ambiguity of the final moments, Vic would soon be back putting a lot of pressure on her to see Lee, who is, all he has left... but a bit of an afterthought in the script as they sought to emphasise the loss of Corinne.

Season 2 is brilliant, easily the best so far.

I can't wait to finish the whole lot so I can watch Season 1 again. I reckon I'll enjoy it so much more second time around.

Much like The Wire.

Dutch still intrigues me. I need to know about his life before he became a cop, there's loads there but not sure I'll get what I want.

I'm not a fan of Coldplay but that song and the way it was used was fantastic. And of course I Hung my Head, incredible. I think The Shield makes by far the best of use of music out of all the top shows in recent years.

Some other quality ones:

[YOUTUBE]vNayySwr7SQ[/YOUTUBE]

Sensational.

[YOUTUBE]GqiSpgIfLUU[/YOUTUBE]

Let's go and bitch slap the Armenian mob.

[YOUTUBE]iUO4bMRuT9Y[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vi_j5E1JFd8[/YOUTUBE]

Season 5 Episode 1 is something else.

There have been funnier episodes, more dramatic episodes and more explosive episodes but it's the greatest one yet.

I've never wanted to watch the next episode so quickly than after this one. We had to go out with family and after 20 minutes both of us admitted we were getting withdrawl symptoms.

Forest Whitaker is fucking brilliant.

I've spoilered in case, although I don't think there is any real spoiler in what I'm saying, however best to be on the safe side and all that.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

As a general rule I love Forest Whitaker in anything he ever does, but in this it's amazing how despite really starting out as the good guy chasing Vic he actually is quite dislikeable. I find he really makes my skin crawl in it. Just has such a creepy freaky edge to him in it. People can fuck off with there Ryan Gosling and his ilk, Whitaker is a proper actor.

I've spoilered in case, although I don't think there is any real spoiler in what I'm saying, however best to be on the safe side and all that.

As a general rule I love Forest Whitaker in anything he ever does, but in this it's amazing how despite really starting out as the good guy chasing Vic he actually is quite dislikeable. I find he really makes my skin crawl in it. Just has such a creepy freaky edge to him in it. People can fuck off with there Ryan Gosling and his ilk, Whitaker is a proper actor.

Yep, agree with that. Just shows what a brilliant actor he is.

Poss very small spoiler if you've not seen the first episode of season five.

There’s a good Q&A with Whiteker and Sean Ryan at the end of season five on the extras disk. Ryan says Kavanaugh was originally envisaged of a white middle aged bloke who was pretty affable and that the whole season was going to be about the viewer not knowing who to root for, one minute they’d be backing him to take down Vic, then they’d be backing Vic, but he said Whiteker made it so you were just rooting for Vic all the way through because he’s so utterly relentless and more than a little bit nuts.

Whiteker’s take on Kavanaugh is fascinating. He’s obviously a careerist, he corrects Corrine when she calls him a cop and he says ‘I’m a Lieutenant’ and it’s obvious that that’s important to him, he says to Dutch too ‘do I need to remind you how many rungs above Detective Lieutenant is on the ladder?

It’s obvious he sees the strike team as a prize, something to put on his belt. He’s a hunter, if you look at the way he picks up Lem’s badge and smiles, it reminds me of Predator cleaning his skulls.

Edited by Stouffer
sorted

Poss very small spoiler if you've not seen the first episode of season five.

There’s a good Q&A with Whiteker and Sean Ryan at the end of season five on the extras disk. Ryan says Kavanaugh was originally envisaged of a white middle aged bloke who was pretty affable and that the whole season was going to be about the viewer not knowing who to root for, one minute they’d be backing him to take down Vic, then they’d be backing Vic, but he said Whiteker made it so you were just rooting for Vic all the way through because he’s so utterly relentless and more than a little bit nuts.

Whiteker’s take on Kavanaugh is fascinating. He’s obviously a careerist, he corrects Corrine when she calls him a cop and he says ‘I’m a Lieutenant’ and it’s obvious that that’s important to him, he says to Dutch too ‘do I need to remind you how many rungs above Detective Lieutenant is on the ladder?

It’s obvious he sees the strike team as a prize, something to put on his belt. He’s a hunter, if you look at the way he picks up Lem’s badge and smiles, it reminds me of Predator cleaning his skulls.

WTF is PHP when it is at home?

On to Episode 7, season 2 - it is absolutely brilliant.

My only worry is that i'm going to steam through them way too quickly, I really need to try and space them out a little bit.

Big thanks to you Section as if it wasn't for your constant adulation over the show I probably wouldn't have started watching it.