You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Minor achievements you're proud of?

Section_31

I've kept a list of a the ale houses I've been in this year and had a pint in. I'm on 117 for the year from Jan.

I'm don't count abroad except for Ireland where I went on a stag, have lost at least 30 bars in Iceland, Portugal, Montenegro, Kosovo and Albania.

I can't count if I'm eating, duplicate bars, can't purposely go out my way to have a pub crawl or visit those I haven't been in. It has to work out organically choosen and I can't force the issue. On top if this the missus is 6/7 months pregnant and my ale drinking opportunities are falling away.

So at 117, with crimbo and new year I think that is solid.

• Upvote 2

Was in Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago at a conference with Mrs G. It was nice to get out of the cold in Indiana. Played a round of golf on a beautiful course - mountain backdrop and overlooking the strip. Was playing against some fella who used to be a pro. (Now, before we get too excited, there are pros and there are pros. This was of the latter variety. Solid player no doubt, but not quite Rory McIlroy, if you know what I mean). 

Anyway, it goes to the 18th. He played the course a lot and told me to lay up and hit a longer iron in to the green, as the risk reward in taking on the water with a driver wasn't worth it. He hit his shot in the middle of the fairway, but shorter. I took that as a sign to hit a driver. Who wants to go home and tell their son, "You should have seen the lay up I did?!" Anyway, I smacked a driver straight and true, carrying the water and leaving it about 120 yards out. He hit his second onto the green and two-putted. I hit a wedge to about 8 foot and holed the birdie putt. 

It was glorious. 

Mrs G didn't care one jot when I told her later that day. 

• Upvote 2

My manager repeatedly blocked me going for promotion and would never let me deputise when she was off. She had a group of 2 or 3 people who she would always give the opportunity to and never me. When you go for the next grade in my place you have to take part in an assessment centre. One third is a written exam, one a job interview and the last a presentation. Her favourites were given the opportunity to do this assessment 4/5 times each and failed it.

I got fed up of being blocked so I moved to another department in Cambridge where I virtually doubled my monthly wage for 2 years and sat the assessment centre, passing it first time and gaining top marks in two parts of the test.

The stupid cow boss who stopped me e-mailed me when she heard i had passed saying she deliberately held me back as some form of reverse psychology to make me more determined to pass.

• Upvote 2

When I went on a touring holiday in South Africa our truck stopped in the middle of nowhere with a burst tyre. I'd never changed a tyre before as I'd never owned a car. I managed to take of the tyre which was massive and put a new one on whilst not panicking that we were about to get charged by elephants or eaten by lions.

I did a thing on Facebook the other day where you can list the amount of countries you have visited and it colours it in on a map for you. I am currently on 49, which is good going considering most of it was done off my own bat and not because I've got a job that takes me everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Not so solid is your possible drink problem.

Can honestly say this has been a light year and I am comfortable with my consumption. I should stress that these are not sessions or have resulted in drunkeness. In fact I reckon I have rarely consumed over the adult male weekly limits this year.

Although, some have been crawls ended up that way, clearly!

• 4 years later...

Bought a new titanium watch and got it resized, lazy cow took two links out of the same side so the clasp was riding up the side and annoying me. 

I ordered a resizing kit, complete with hammer and various contraptions, pin extractors etc and decided to resize it properly. 

Upon attempting to do so I discovered it's what's called a 'pin and collar' arrangement, which only Seiko and Citizen do. It makes for a smoother band movement but is considered a fiddly nightmare even by pro jewelers. 

So I watched a few Youtube videos and a couple of hours later it was one. One reinserted and one removed at the others side. Fits like perfect. 

The Mrs said she heard lots of hammering, followed by some swearing, eventually followed by 'I win - again!'. 

Job done. 

• Upvote 8

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Bought a new titanium watch and got it resized, lazy cow took two links out of the same side so the clasp was riding up the side and annoying me. 

I ordered a resizing kit, complete with hammer and various contraptions, pin extractors etc and decided to resize it properly. 

Upon attempting to do so I discovered it's what's called a 'pin and collar' arrangement, which only Seiko and Citizen do. It makes for a smoother band movement but is considered a fiddly nightmare even by pro jewelers. 

So I watched a few Youtube videos and a couple of hours later it was one. One reinserted and one removed at the others side. Fits like perfect. 

The Mrs said she heard lots of hammering, followed by some swearing, eventually followed by 'I win - again!'. 

Job done. 

Repped. Picture of the watch, please. Nosy cunt, me.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I asked a retired vet to show me how to clip the dogs claws properly. Bought a special bit of equipment required and I'm now a master at it, save a fortune and had no mishaps. Also do a fair few dogs in the neighbourhood and get goodies in return.  

58 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I asked a retired vet to show me how to clip the dogs claws properly. Bought a special bit of equipment required and I'm now a master at it, save a fortune and had no mishaps. Also do a fair few dogs in the neighbourhood and get goodies in return.  

I’d be tempted to revise that last sentence PB

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, sir roger said:

I’d be tempted to revise that last sentence PB

Yeah, the women around here have sharp claws. 

1 hour ago, Pistonbroke said:

We've all done a fair few dogs in our neighbourhood's I'm sure.

Edit. Sorry, Sir Roger beat me to it.

• Upvote 1

I love stories of people who have achieved something and the prize twats who have stood in their way come out with utter tripe about testing them

Add to that the daft cunts who inconvenience you massively along the way and at the end, you get 'you got there in the end' from them

Hanging is too good for them

• Upvote 2

• 1 year later...

I was just trying to find the video of when McNulty accuses Daniel's of being in Burrell's pocket in season 1.

There is no video, but my transcript 6 years ago - which I must have made when I was annoyed that I couldn't find it -  is on page 1 of any Google search.

• Upvote 1

On 08/12/2014 at 08:05, Doctor Troy said:

When I went on a touring holiday in South Africa our truck stopped in the middle of nowhere with a burst tyre. I'd never changed a tyre before as I'd never owned a car. I managed to take of the tyre which was massive and put a new one on whilst not panicking that we were about to get charged by elephants or eaten by lions.

I did a thing on Facebook the other day where you can list the amount of countries you have visited and it colours it in on a map for you. I am currently on 49, which is good going considering most of it was done off my own bat and not because I've got a job that takes me everywhere.

Aren't you also married with like 3 kids and scrapped, been scrapped and seen scraps in every pub known to man?

I always feel like I haven't lived when I read your posts.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1