You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Greatest player in your lifetime?

Section_31

I barely remember Maradona, so I'm going for Zidane.

Used to love watching him for Juventus, getting the shit kicked out of him from the animal-like Italian defenders, and he's still manage to dance past three of them and put Del Pieiro through..

He lit France 98 up, whenever the BBC coverage started and 'faure's pavane' would be played while a painting of Zidane came alive and start running with the ball, i'd shake my head and choke back tears knowing that one day this fella would retire.

Remember this goal?

Champions League final at Hampden Park. At 1-1, a cross from the left wing falls at the edge of the penalty box before Zidane, level with his chin. The Franco-Algerian fires a geometrically perfect volley stretching the net under the bar and winning the ninth European title for Real Madrid.

This is apparently his last season

A true legend..

Who is/was the best In your opinion?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Zidane for me too. Ronaldinho can be #1 though, but he needs to be on top a few more years before he's in the same class.

I haven't seen much of Ronaldinho to be honest so i can't comment, other than his demolition of Chavski :yes:

The acid test will be if he ever makes it to Italy IMO. When Zidane was in his prime there was a faction who touted Rivaldo as his equal or better, but he had all the time in the f*ckin world to play his football for Barca, Zidane used to be man-marked by at least two 'choppers' in virtually every game i wathced. Remember Roy Keane doing a couple of hatchet jobs on him in 97 too, and Zidane still tore them a new arse on both occasions!

Zidane for me too. Ronaldinho can be #1 though, but he needs to be on top a few more years before he's in the same class.

Ronaldinho is already better than Zidane was, imo, he just needs to do it for longer. Goals aren't a full indicator of a man's talent but he's already got 20+ this season. I've seen Barca a few times this season, notably Barca Vs Madrid, when Igor's bunch played there and both Chelsea matches and he's never failed to amaze me. He does things with a football that literally no other player has ever done. The England lob, I believe he meant it.

Ronaldinho is already better than Zidane was, imo, he just needs to do it for longer. Goals aren't a full indicator of a man's talent but he's already got 20+ this season. I've seen Barca a few times this season, notably Barca Vs Madrid, when Igor's bunch played there and both Chelsea matches and he's never failed to amaze me. He does things with a football that literally no other player has ever done. The England lob, I believe he meant it.

I agree, and I've seen Barca quite a few times myself this season. But as someone mentioned; Rivaldo and Zidane had a "fight" over who's the best, but Rivaldo kind of faded away from that fight, at least that's what I think. So, if Ronaldinho keeps up the pace he's at now, he'll get there and beyond.

I've also seen a few Real games this season. Zidane gets all the stick in the world these days, but every game I've seen with Real this season, he's pulled at least one stunt that other profiled players do once a season. Be it a 50 yard pass from a tight position or a recieving of one that he glues to his boot and make a pass of imediately. He's still world class, it's just not the class of 2-10 years ago so people are dissapointed at him. That's why players like him should quit on top.

It was actually Madrid Vs Barca that I watched, when he scored those two wonder goals. The thing about Ronaldinho is that he seems to have the brains to be able to cope with his talent. Every interview I've read he's come across as level headed, dedicated not only to his game but also his family and intelligent.

Maradonna, we'll never see someone win a world cup practically on his own again. And the handball............let it go, let it go

Remember Linaker talking about Maradonna - saying he watched him practicing keep-ups, but he was launching them 50 foot up in the air and the ball would land in the same spot every time, he didn't even have to move. He reckoned all the England lads were just standing there with their mouths open - wish i'd seen him play..

Zizou/Maradona/Ronahldino...hard to pick between them. but maradona's goal v engerland maybe puts him in #1 position...

actually, fuck it, defo maradona. in his book he says 'fuck was it the hand of god, it was the hand of diego'. you dont often get honesty like that out of a pr managed footballer.

Maradona's the best player ever for me.

Ronaldo is the best striker of my generation,

Zidane is the best player I can really remember

Ronaldinho will be within a couple of years

But a big mention to the best player I've ever seen....

John Barnes. For 3 seasons he was well up there with ANYONE!! Absolutely incredible.

the best player, without a doubt for anyone who saw him was diego. its true what rashid says that he could do it all. i watched ronaldinho closely against chelsea last week and although class, he is not near diego's level. maradona would just sit in the middle of the park and burst forward with it, completely unstoppable against any opposition. i find that most of the clips on the net don't do him justice. i used to watch napoli in serie A every monday night on rte in Ireland back in the 80's and he was a sight to behold.

check out this genius at work clip for evidence, one of the few good ones on the net. this was diego at 20, use high resolution if possible. he had this balance and deftness of touch that no other had. ronaldiho is brilliant has great tricks but he can't glide like maradona

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/09/EnglandvArgMaradonaVideo.htm

if anyone has good highlights of the 86 belgium or england games it'd be great to get a link

the best player, without a doubt for anyone who saw him was diego. its true what rashid says that he could do it all. i watched ronaldinho closely against chelsea last week and although class, he is not near diego's level. maradona would just sit in the middle of the park and burst forward with it, completely unstoppable against any opposition. i find that most of the clips on the net don't do him justice. i used to watch napoli in serie A every monday night on rte in Ireland back in the 80's and he was a sight to behold.

check out this genius at work clip for evidence, one of the few good ones on the net. this was diego at 20, use high resolution if possible. he had this balance and deftness of touch that no other had. ronaldiho is brilliant has great tricks but he can't glide like maradona

http://www.thefa.com/England/SeniorTeam/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2005/09/EnglandvArgMaradonaVideo.htm

if anyone has good highlights of the 86 belgium or england games it'd be great to get a link

stunning skills...and a carbon copy of his goal against england in 86.

his through balls were unhuman...