You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Quotes from Eamonn Dunphy during this weeks CL matches.

DJLJ

7 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

"Stay out of this Bill, this is a football argument"

Ouch.

Kev, when the lads were really on their game I (and the other Irish forumites on here will hopefully concur) would look forward to the pre and after match analysis as much as the actual match being played, just for the inevitable arguing. Bill O'Herlihy was a great anchor for the show, RIP.  

We got a good 20 years out of Giles and Dunphy (over 30 if you count the World cups and Euro championships in the 80's as well), with Brady a welcome addition in later years and Souey guesting on occasion too. 

Magical times 

• Upvote 6

Just now, KMD7 said:

Kev, when the lads were really on their game I (and the other Irish forumites on here will hopefully concur) would look forward to the pre and after match analysis as much as the actual match being played, just for the inevitable arguing. Bill O'Herlihy was a great anchor for the show, RIP.  

We got a good 20 years out of Giles and Dunphy (over 30 if you count the World cups and Euro championships in the 80's as well), with Brady a welcome addition in later years and Souey guesting on occasion too. 

There was a period of 3 years of pure chaos that I remember being on the RTE website to watch the post-match analysis. We had Rafa, Man Utd had Ronaldo and Ireland had Trappotini. 

Every episode was worth the price of admission; if they weren't calling Ronaldo a fraud, they were laying into Gerrard, then you got international breaks- ie matches they actually cared about - so all bets were off. There was a point when Dunphy was stumping for Venables for weeks, changed his mind and then spent 15 minutes committing all out slander against him and Bill was like hang on, weren't you saying he should get the job yesterday.

• Upvote 1

Venables was 100% going to get the Ireland job until Dunphy spewed his name on national telly. Also, this was a very underrated gem from him.

On John Hartson:

"Bill, Hartson is not a 7million pound player...it’s a disgrace, a shambles! This is the state of football today Bill. I have a clip here of why Hartson is NOT a £7million player....Roll it there Bill!(literally 1 second in to the clip) OKAY, HOLD IT THERE BILL!!! (draws a circle around Hartson's arse) Bill, that is NOT the arse of a £7million player!''

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Em City said:

Venables was 100% going to get the Ireland job until Dunphy spewed his name on national telly. Also, this was a very underrated gem from him.

On John Hartson:

"Bill, Hartson is not a 7million pound player...it’s a disgrace, a shambles! This is the state of football today Bill. I have a clip here of why Hartson is NOT a £7million player....Roll it there Bill!(literally 1 second in to the clip) OKAY, HOLD IT THERE BILL!!! (draws a circle around Hartson's arse) Bill, that is NOT the arse of a £7million player!''

Ha ha fucking hell 

I remember Dunphy really pushing for King Kenny to get the Irish job (I think around the time of Kev's clip posted above. It never gained any traction though from what I remember and I think Trappatoni was already in the frame for it anyway.

3 hours ago, Kevin D said:

There’s just so many things to love about it. Perfectly observed, right down to the outfits of each band member, their respective body language, the clapping of the keyboard player, the singer’s wink after ‘he’s a gentleman’, the earnest vocals, etc. I think the singing on ‘Eamonn, that’s out of order ’ does take it though. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 21/11/2021 at 13:31, Dr Nowt said:

There’s just so many things to love about it. Perfectly observed, right down to the outfits of each band member, their respective body language, the clapping of the keyboard player, the singer’s wink after ‘he’s a gentleman’, the earnest vocals, etc. I think the singing on ‘Eamonn, that’s out of order ’ does take it though. 

Eamon that’s out of order, Eamon that’s out order, Eamon that’s out of order.

• 5 months later...
On 11/03/2006 at 13:48, rondeco said:

Here's an idea of what Dunphy is like...days after keane was given the flick.

After all the libellous comments, Bill stops after Dunphy says “go down to the Olympia and deny Keano”.

Does that mean something specific or has Bill just heard enough?

5 hours ago, Kevin D said:

After all the libellous comments, Bill stops after Dunphy says “go down to the Olympia and deny Keano”.

Does that mean something specific or has Bill just heard enough?

There was a play in the Olympia called Aye Keano, it was about Saipan. 

• Upvote 1