You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Natural Planet

Stu Monty

Think it was called that anyway. Anyone see it last night? Nature programme with David Attaboy Attenborough? It was ace. The shots where they were following those hunting dogs chasing down the Impala were awesome.

As were the shots of the shark catching a seal.

I'm getting me some of those hunting dogs and setting them on people I don't like. It's going to rule a lot.

Think it was called that anyway. Anyone see it last night? Nature programme with David Attaboy Attenborough? It was ace. The shots where they were following those hunting dogs chasing down the Impala were awesome.

I'm getting me some of those hunting dogs and setting them on people I don't like. It's going to rule a lot.

Ha, yer! See that crazy antelope or whatever it was divin into the lake to get away from them!! Quallity.

I didn't see the programme, but I can see the attraction of wanting some hounds to ward off evil guests. Trouble is though, like all pets, they shit and shit has to be cleaned up. I would have to persuade the missus it was her idea before I got them, then I could tell her to clean up the shit her[/] dogs left behind.

These were wild dogs in Africa and they were amazing. Attacked in formation and they would peel off to the flanks and stuff mid-chase at top speed to cut off the Impala pack. It was like watching the canine equivalent of top gun in action.

Nature shows are class.

Remeber one about insects I saw; that trapdoor spider is into some sneaky shit.

These were wild dogs in Africa and they were amazing. Attacked in formation and they would peel off to the flanks and stuff mid-chase at top speed to cut off the Impala pack. It was like watching the canine equivalent of top gun in action.

Nature shows are class.

Remeber one about insects I saw; that trapdoor spider is into some sneaky shit.

The leaopards in Siberia - only 40 left in the wild. That's pretty depressing.

But that bird of paradise was splendid. Spent ages tidying up his little patch of forest, then performed a mad display where he basically turned himself into a giant flourescent smiley face, and the female just buggered off. Said it before, and I'll say it again: All women are 97.5% pure evil.

Agreed. The camera work was fantastic.

I was idly speculating how the hell they could photograph the pack of dogs from above (without the noise of a helicopter scaring them) as they all split off pincer movement to catch poor old Bambi. Glider was my guess and lo and behold they then show us the helicopter with super zoom military camera that films it from 1.5km away.

BBC at its best that. Made a change from celebrity singing/dancing shite. Heard it reviewed as coffee table TV - presumably all glossy pics. But I thought it was superb.

And you didn't mention the monkeys crossing the river - they were ace!! My 18 month son is now a devotee of Monkey World on your recommendation !!! (+ the dog and duck on channel 999).

Impala doing a suicide swim - Ace

Mad bird thing - Ace

Helicopter - Ace

Monkeys crossing the river...well just about anything with the mighty monkey is always going to be ace. My missus now want to go down to monkey world, which is handy as she can't drive and it's at the end of the earth. Fuck. That.

And I'm loving Fido Iceman.

Yeah it was brilliant. Really like these sort of programmes. I'm happy to pay for this sort of thing with my license fee rather than any reality, or DIY tv show bollocks.

I didn't sleep at all last night though. I couldn't stop thinking about that baby elephant who got seperated from its mum and ended up following its trail the wrong way.

How class was that bird in the rainforest as well with its dance? The bird who turned him down must have been a right stuck up little madam if that didn't impress her. I reckon he was better off without her.

The monkeys were surely the gayest monkeys in the whole of christendom ("ooh it's a bit cold this water isn't it? - i'll have to mince across in a Bez dance-a-like fashion, except far gayer"), the bird of paradise had swallowed a cocktail umbrella at some stage, the poor little bastard. I think that luminous face thing it did frightened the female off, i was hiding behind my missus at that stage. The baby impala getting collared by the big bad wolf was unfortunate, i had to explain to my missus that sadly wolves get hungry too. Best of all was the slo-mo of that great white headbutting that seal. Fucking astonishing. It must have leapt about 10 feet out clean of the water. Powerful beastie the great white. Sharks rule.

Yeah it was brilliant. Really like these sort of programmes. I'm happy to pay for this sort of thing with my license fee rather than any reality, or DIY tv show bollocks.

I didn't sleep at all last night though. I couldn't stop thinking about that baby elephant who got seperated from its mum and ended up following its trail the wrong way.

How class was that bird in the rainforest as well with its dance? The bird who turned him down must have been a right stuck up little madam if that didn't impress her. I reckon he was better off without her.

That was sad last week, still brings a lump to the adams apple even now (although that may be due to the cold I have).

Great show though, life stops in the flat when thats on. You know they are doing 6 (or so) shows now and then 6 more later in the year?!?!?! going to have rivdrawal symtoms Great use of Sigur Ros music on the advert too.

It is a quality show Stu, of that there is no doubt, but for me its not 'quite' as good as Blue planet. The cinematography and music are superb, as are the attetnion to detail etc, but it lacks 'flow'. Running the series along the lines that they have 'freash water' ' snow' 'Caves' etc means that one is jumped from the south atlantic one minute to the freezing cold of the arctic in seconds and you lose 'feel' for the programme. When a programme concentrates on a species it allows the makers to paint a deeper picture. This is almost sound bite nature programming for the ADH generation. Like I said, good, but for 9pm on Sunday on BBC one Id expect something more indepth and substantial.

How is the sunshine bus BTW, from my first look in ages it looks like some bastards ordered a fleet of them now ?

It is a quality show Stu, of that there is no doubt, but for me its not 'quite' as good as Blue planet. The cinematography and music are superb, as are the attetnion to detail etc, but it lacks 'flow'. Running the series along the lines that they have 'freash water' ' snow' 'Caves' etc means that one is jumped from the south atlantic one minute to the freezing cold of the arctic in seconds and you lose 'feel' for the programme. When a programme concentrates on a species it allows the makers to paint a deeper picture. This is almost sound bite nature programming for the ADH generation. Like I said, good, but for 9pm on Sunday on BBC one Id expect something more indepth and substantial.

You're right. Even in each episode there seems to be a lack of flow. Sometimes it seems as though they've tried to cram too much into each episode.

Still really enjoying it so far though.