You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is Crouch affecting our balance

Dbnred

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pablo-B

He scored fifteen last season.

Lets give him, and all our other strikers a break eh...there are still plenty of games left and a lot to look forward too...and they might still do the biz. They are certainly capable.

It would help if he had players running off him again. During our good spell, especially at home, we had Stevie linking up and driving forward in behind him. The goal against Newcastle where he played that little sublime pass into Stevie is, I'm guessing, how Rafa wants us to play.

Against Utd and Chelsea the midfield and strikers were so far apart, it was impossible to create anything. And he's never going to be the type of player who creates a lot for himself.

yep that's true- but against the likes of Chelsea/Arsenal and ManU you don't get the space to make those runs and that's when you need physical presence and finishing ability upfront and currently we don't appear to have that - I'm hoping Robbie might prove me wrong there

He scored fifteen last season.

Lets give him, and all our other strikers a break eh...there are still plenty of games left and a lot to look forward too...and they might still do the biz. They are certainly capable.

if you look at our front 2's performance this season could you really be happy with their all round contribution. Crouchy has performed better than the rest but he's not an out and out striker. I would love it - to coin a phrase - if Moro or Cisse hit a purple patch but I can't see it happening - Cisse just doesn't have the touch or the brain and Moro just doesn't seem suited to the pace and physical nature of the Prem.

Guest Pablo-B
yep that's true- but against the likes of Chelsea/Arsenal and ManU you don't get the space to make those runs

Not sure that's the case. I think we are set up more cautiously agaisnt the bigger sides, which means are midfield players tend to sit instead of pushing forward in anticipation.

How many long balls did we play up to Crouch in the first half of the Utd and Chelsea games? Plenty, and he won a lot of them, but where was the support?

if you look at our front 2's performance this season could you really be happy with their all round contribution. Crouchy has performed better than the rest but he's not an out and out striker. I would love it - to coin a phrase - if Moro or Cisse hit a purple patch but I can't see it happening - Cisse just doesn't have the touch or the brain and Moro just doesn't seem suited to the pace and physical nature of the Prem.

Crouch is a striker and he has done the best of the lot although he has only 5 league goals this season? Our standards seem to have dropped. Cisse has no technique although he is a our biggest goal threat? Morientes is shit although he is technically our best striker? Nothing makes sense..... except something is wrong.

Guest Pablo-B
Moro or Cisse hit a purple patch but I can't see it happening

We have to believe they can or the season will be over.

Hopefully Little Luis starts picking up some more goals too.

Not sure that's the case. I think we are set up more cautiously agaisnt the bigger sides, which means are midfield players tend to sit instead of pushing forward in anticipation.

How many long balls did we play up to Crouch in the first half of the Utd and Chelsea games? Plenty, and he won a lot of them, but where was the support?

sure he won a lot of balls but most ended up partial flick ons to nowhere - physically he's not built for that type of game if we are gonna employ those tactics your striker has to be in the Roberts (Wigan) mould (sp). The reason the midfield sat deep against Chelsea was to defend the counter attack and thus Crouch up fron was never going to open up Chelsea and create the chances for others..it was a ploy destined to fail

I am happy with them and we are waiting for them to start scoring goals, maybe they will tomorrow at Wigan. I am not worried because Morientes has scored goals always, Fowler has and Cisse has. Crouch can do it as well but with him it's a case of not how many goals he can score but how many assists he can give to his team-mates."

Rafa Benitez Today

Crouch's job is clear from that, which I think says he is not under the same pressure to score goals as the others. Be interesting to see his 'assists' for this season though...

Yes because that will show us exactly how well he has played all season.

I can't work out how to put you on ignore and it is starting to get on my tits.

Guest Pablo-B
sure he won a lot of balls but most ended up partial flick ons to nowhere - physically he's not built for that type of game if we are gonna employ those tactics your striker has to be in the Roberts (Wigan) mould (sp). The reason the midfield sat deep against Chelsea was to defend the counter attack and thus Crouch up fron was never going to open up Chelsea and create the chances for others..it was a ploy destined to fail

Well then, Crouch can't really be blamed can he? He's doing his job and it's up to others to work off him.

And how many real clear cut chances do we create for our forwards? When was the last time any of them were given an easy chance to just slide one home? Moro has had a few, but I don't think overall we create enough for them.

Crouch is a striker and he has done the best of the lot although he has only 5 league goals this season? Our standards seem to have dropped. Cisse has no technique although he is a our biggest goal threat? Morientes is shit although he is technically our best striker? Nothing makes sense..... except something is wrong.

Can't remember the last time Cisse threatende a goal mate.As for Moro technical ability doesn't count for much when your playing on a shitheap at pompey or Chelsea or Old Trafford...as for Crouchy I don't believe he was bought as a primary striker but more to bring others into play in the right places..

We are so close to the finished article,a good striker, /rt mid and left back are all we need...

A striker could be one of 4 things.

1. Big lumbering physical striker - Mark Hughes, Mark Hately etc.

2. Link man - Dalglish, Bergkamp, Litmanen, Cantona etc.

3. Goalscorers - Fowler Owen, Hugo Sanchez, Ian Rush, Nistellroy etc.

4. Super strikers who can also create - Ronaldo, Henry, Et'o, Shevchenko

Then there is Crouch - who is weak on the ball, doesn't score goals and doesn't direct headers very well, in fact he is pretty weak in the air. BUT he has a great touch, can hold the ball up well and bring people into play when we are under pressure... depends what you want from your strikers, unfortuantely, there is usually only 1-2 places available there.

A striker could be one of 4 things.

1. Big lumbering physical striker - Mark Hughes, Mark Hately etc.

2. Link man - Dalglish, Bergkamp, Litmanen, Cantona etc.

3. Goalscorers - Fowler Owen, Hugo Sanchez, Ian Rush, Nistellroy etc.

4. Super strikers who can also create - Ronaldo, Henry, Et'o, Shevchenko

Then there is Crouch - who is weak on the ball, doesn't score goals and doesn't direct headers very well, in fact he is pretty weak in the air. BUT he has a great touch, can hold the ball up well and bring people into play when we are under pressure... depends what you want from your strikers, unfortuantely, there is usually only 1-2 places available there.

Please make it stop, i am losing the will to live.

Guest Pablo-B
who is weak on the ball, doesn't score goals and doesn't direct headers very well, in fact he is pretty weak in the air

Scored fifteen last season, so can obviously score goals...some of them headers. Has scored 2 headed goals out of his five in the league for us. Technically excellent on the ball.

All about opinions I suppose.

Well then, Crouch can't really be blamed can he? He's doing his job and it's up to others to work off him.

And how many real clear cut chances do we create for our forwards? When was the last time any of them were given an easy chance to just slide one home? Moro has had a few, but I don't think overall we create enough for them.

who's blaming Crouch?.. he gives it a go altho lately he has not been up to it..the point I'm making is that it's a waste of time using him like that in those sort of games...you cannot deny that we lack a cutting edge striker surely?

Scored fifteen last season, so can obviously score goals...some of them headers. Has scored 2 headed goals out of his five in the league for us. Technically excellent on the ball.

All about opinions I suppose.

He scored 16 goals mate, 12 in the league which is excellent for a support striker. The problem is that is the only season he has scored a few goals in the league.

Guest Pablo-B
who's blaming Crouch?.. he gives it a go altho lately he has not been up to it..the point I'm making is that it's a waste of time using him like that in those sort of games...you cannot deny that we lack a cutting edge striker surely?

I'm not blaming you personally...surely it's Rafa who picks the team and way we set up. But the general concensus is that Crouch is not contributing because he's not scoring goals, and it's false. If he was getting better support, we might see him scoring a lot more goals.

Guest Pablo-B
He scored 16 goals mate, 12 in the league which is excellent for a support striker. The problem is that is the only season he has scored a few goals in the league.

Yeah, he needs to score more goals, we all know this...but you have to remember it's still only his first season, after a shock big money move from a smaller club. New area, surroundings, players, etc. Not to mention getting picked for England and getting abused left right and centre.

I get the feeling if this was a top name from abroad, everyone would be a bit more understanding.