You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Films

welsh_kopite

Hiya lads, i was pondering going to blockbuster earlier but decided against it due to the shit films out at the moment. I was just wondering whether you could post any films you think are really worth watching.

Cheers,

Greg

Old Boy is fucking brilliant. Best. Tongue. Extraction. Ever.

Also, for cheesy scariness, The Descent is ace.

A tip for a film could be Collateral which has both stunning photography and good acting by Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx.

A documentary I recommend is When we were kings, which is part of my DVD collection. It offers a small insight into the legend that is Mohammad Ali.

At least I think it was. You've got me thinking I may have missed something now. Were you talking about the false ending?

Yeah, with a huge ***spoiler alert for 'The Descent***

I think it was an illusion that she escaped – apparently it's a common factor in those conditions. A character had made reference to that fact sometime earlier in the film.

Yeah, with a huge ***spoiler alert for 'The Descent***

I think it was an illusion that she escaped – apparently it's a common factor in those conditions. A character had made reference to that fact sometime earlier in the film.

That's what I assumed he meant. But with Paul seeming a highly intelligent man, I couldn't see how that confused him. Ace film.

Hiya lads, i was pondering going to blockbuster earlier but decided against it due to the shit films out at the moment. I was just wondering whether you could post any films you think are really worth watching.

Cheers,

Greg

'the machinist'a film about a man who has not slept for a year[could name a few managers ;) ]haunting and incredible.

Have you seen Donnie Darko? If so then what was your take on it.

Pretentious, over-rated toss. I love film (and teach it, too) and am very broad-minded in my tastes, but I just thought it was a load of wank set to a dodgy 80s soundtrack dressed up as a essay on existentialism/time travel.

On The Descent, I suppose I was confused because it seemed such a contrived/trite ending for it all to have been an hallucination, after such a tense, powerful build-up.

On The Descent, I suppose I was confused because it seemed such a contrived/trite ending for it all to have been an hallucination, after such a tense, powerful build-up.

The ending was yer typical low-budget horror cop-out so they can produce Descent II should it prove a success. Being a horror fan I found it a contrived feminist horror without any suspense; shame really as I liked Marshall's earlier Dog Soldiers.

The ending was yer typical low-budget horror cop-out so they can produce Descent II should it prove a success. Being a horror fan I found it a contrived feminist horror without any suspense; shame really as I liked Marshall's earlier Dog Soldiers.

I'm not really a horror fan at all, but I found it jumpy as fuck. Anyway, surely the ending (with her stuck down there, having lost her marbles) precludes a sequel?

I'm not really a horror fan at all, but I found it jumpy as fuck. Anyway, surely the ending (with her stuck down there, having lost her marbles) precludes a sequel?

Maybe they could have a sequel where an angry young guy obsessed with the internet is ditched by his fit girlfriend and in his grief and rage goes down and joins her.

Try "Garden State", or "Harold and Kumar". Well worth a watch.

I thought Garden State was hideous. the bit when they stand on the bus shouting made me want to kill. I hate films where they do things as a "release". Wow man, screaming into a big hole, what a release. Cliched twaddle. Never forget sitting int he cinmea watching "As in Heaven" swedish film about a famous conductor who takes over a choir in a small village. It starts with him playing violin as a boy in a cornfield and Mrs RiS said, far too loud for a cinema "Oh for fucks sake". This was after 30 seconds.

Sorry Aikido, just realised I completely slagged off a film you liked, no offence meant.

'the machinist'a film about a man who has not slept for a year[could name a few managers ;) ]haunting and incredible.

Good film, and Christian Bale's physique is shocking! Takes method acting to a whole new level. The thing that spoils it for me is that it borrows heavily from Fight Club and you get the twist straight away!

Recently I have mostly been watching This Is Spinal Tap, Escape From New York and Predator.