You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Zonal v Man for Man Marking

Rashid

article-1224956-04792E4F0000044D-746_468x286.jpg

Dearest Dad, why do any people bovver wiv Zonal? I mean, is it summat foreign?

Nail on head, darlin' son. It was dreamed up on the playing fields of Tenerife or somewhere like that. For sure. Somewhere they don't celebrate Christmas.

Strewth!

Yep. I think the Zonals claimed they had a separate country or summat like that, and Franco had 'em shot. That sort of thing. For sure. And that's sad, but that's no excuse to foist these memorial doo-dahs on all of us. For sure. This is England. We mark men here. Churchill said that.

Gawd bless him!

Gawd bless him! For sure.

West Ham had loads of man markers, didn't they, dearest Dad?

For sure! Billy Bonds - he marked men all right! He marked their ankles, their shins, their knees, their thighs, their whodyaflips, their arms, their heads, everything. Same with all the old hammers. Bobby Moore - he was a gent, but he'd still mark you, for sure.

Because he was English?

Because he was English, for sure!

I wish everyone was English, dearest Dad!

That's a beautiful thought, darlin' son! It deserves a curry! My treat, for sure!

_41286466_souness270.jpg

Man Marking? Zonal Marking? Bob Paisley never told us to mark anything. We never bothered with any tactics in any shape or form. Bob even used to hide the ball sometimes. He'd just say "Go out there and win". And we'd win. With or without the ball. Because we were winners. Not markers. But I don't care, to be honest. Do you know that the universe is expanding? What does that mean for us? It's not good. Was it Saul Bellow who said that mortality is the black backing that a mirror needs in order to reflect? Well, whoever it was, I couldn't agree more - and I LOVE mirrors! It's all so bleak, so shockingly bleak. We're going to hell in a handcart, and I say that as a fan.I could kill myself here and now but that wouldn't help. Nothing will help. As Beckett said, we can only dream of failing better. But what's the point? Really? I mean, we're staring into the abyss. And I say that as a fan.

HAHA. Repped.

Which ever system you adapt, if it is carried out successful you wont have to many problems. The truth is we are vunerable at set pieces in the air, what ever system you use, problems arise if you cant head the ball before the opponent.

First thing I've seen you post that I agree with...unless I'm getting my Red's mixed up

• 1 month later...

Zonal isn't just about standing still in a zone and not moving from that zone, which is where a lot of these simpletons come undone i think. You still need to be aggresive, know your surroundings, where's that man going, where's the ball headed etc. Of course when players switch off and that there's going to be goals conceded, that goes for both systems.

We aren't even a purely zonal side though are we? I'm sure we actually do use two or three players that move freely in the box, picking up runners.

It's just really shocking that these fucking braindead morons can't stop for two fucking seconds and think, and then realise that hey, goals get conceded using both systems. I think it's all about blame, they want someone to blame and point the finger at. Man to man marking makes that job easier for them.

Today was just delightful in that regard, that clip with Rafa bitchslapping that reporter, and then today, Everton go man to man, Kuyt scores, Everton don't have a sniff all day with us using zonal. Beautiful.

Nail on head, darlin' son. It was dreamed up on the playing fields of Tenerife or somewhere like that. For sure. Somewhere they don't celebrate Christmas.

Strewth!

Yep. I think the Zonals claimed they had a separate country or summat like that, and Franco had 'em shot. That sort of thing. For sure. And that's sad, but that's no excuse to foist these memorial doo-dahs on all of us. For sure. This is England. We mark men here. Churchill said that.

Gawd bless him!

For sure! Billy Bonds - he marked men all right! He marked their ankles, their shins, their knees, their thighs, their whodyaflips, their arms, their heads, everything. Same with all the old hammers. Bobby Moore - he was a gent, but he'd still mark you, for sure.

Because he was English?

That's a beautiful thought, darlin' son! It deserves a curry! My treat, for sure!

_41286466_souness270.jpg

Man Marking? Zonal Marking? Bob Paisley never told us to mark anything. We never bothered with any tactics in any shape or form. Bob even used to hide the ball sometimes. He'd just say "Go out there and win". And we'd win. With or without the ball. Because we were winners. Not markers. But I don't care, to be honest. Do you know that the universe is expanding? What does that mean for us? It's not good. Was it Saul Bellow who said that mortality is the black backing that a mirror needs in order to reflect? Well, whoever it was, I couldn't agree more - and I LOVE mirrors! It's all so bleak, so shockingly bleak. We're going to hell in a handcart, and I say that as a fan.I could kill myself here and now but that wouldn't help. Nothing will help. As Beckett said, we can only dream of failing better. But what's the point? Really? I mean, we're staring into the abyss. And I say that as a fan.

I must have missed this first time around. Comic genius.

Notice Sky/BBC/The Rest of the British 'impartial' (Yea right - what a joke) media's GREAT thesis on just WHY Neverton's WONDERFUL man to man marking system (TM The RIGHT way to mark at set-pieces; Copyright; the British Media) failed so awfully and Liverpool's TERRIBLE (NEVER mark set pieces from this method) way of marking worked SO well that we kept ANOTHER clean sheet to go joint top in the Clean Sheets League? And who'd of thought THAT back on 19th December after the Pompey disaster?; Well? Yep, their great analysis was SO great that it...........Did not exist, did it? Nothing, zilch, nada, not a fcuking WORD on the abysmal failure of man marking today with IT'S numerous weaknesses shown up - If zonal marking fails with men OUTSIDE the zones What of man to man marking when either the WRONG man marks someone OR what if like today the deliverys undefendable? At least with zonal marking you can cut out the SOURCE of danger by going for the ZONE and everything in it - often including the ball, but with man marking? Forget it;

Neutral media? Don't make me laugh. They just CAN'T face the failings of British systems OR 'plucky' British sides like Moye's loveable bunch of triers can they?..........Pathetic. Just like Everton who for the umpteenth time today were ALL mouth and NO trousers. Rather like their joke of a manager and that cheating, fouling tw*t Felliani who DESERVED to go off for even HALF the tricks he brought to play today from his little Black Book of tricks, sly fouls, off the ball challenges and diabolical stamps today; And let's not forget that nasty tw*t Pienaar either; One who got JUST what he deserved albeit late on for his own attempts at sickening violence on our skipper who was FAR to streetwise for him and also for LAUNCHING the ball into Kuyt's face under the blind referee's nose earlier with NOTHING done to punish him. Methinks Everton's arrogance and bluster caught up with them today and their absolute rage when they COULDN'T back up their bluster & hot air (again) knew no bounds and did our job for us.

A well deserved and bruising defeat for them in every sense of the word and about time we popped their balloon. Can't think of a nicer bloke to do it either than Kuyt - he's certainly showing what he's made of now - let's hope ALL his teammates can start to follow his example and we should be fine - much more of today's resolve would be MUCH welcome. Onwards now, Arsenal next - down in London on Wednesday; Should be fun after December's shenanigans at our place.................

Edited by Redshadow

Guest the boy

Strewth!

Gawd bless him!

Because he was English?

_41286466_souness270.jpg

That is superb.