You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Millner

Stu Monty

There seems to be a lot of talk about Pennant being the solution on the right but I've been watching Milner quite a bit recently (was looking at putting him in my fantasy team so wanted to see the likelyhood of goals, assists and man of the match performances) and have to say that I've been very impressed with him.

Seems comfortable hugging the touchline or drifting in centrally, has a few nice jinks to get past a man and most importantly has a very good delivery.

Not saying he's the new saviour but I reckon he might be a very good option for that position.

Opinions?

There seems to be a lot of talk about Pennant being the solution on the right but I've been watching Milner quite a bit recently (was looking at putting him in my fantasy team so wanted to see the likelyhood of goals, assists and man of the match performances) and have to say that I've been very impressed with him.

Seems comfortable hugging the touchline or drifting in centrally, has a few nice jinks to get past a man and most importantly has a very good delivery.

Not saying he's the new saviour but I reckon he might be a very good option for that position.

Opinions?

Not good enough me thinks. Average player, and not at all in the same league as Pennant.

I've always thought it was weird the way Eriksson's ignored Gareth Barry - especially when you consider every other English left back between the ages of 12 and 50 has been at least called in to the squad (Chris Powell, anyone?). Agreed that he's not good enough for us, although it would have been interesting to see how he'd have developed at a bigger club with regular European football, because when he first emerged at Villa he was really very promising.

I think he'd be a decent shout. I'm sure the fact he's English would mean his asking price would be silly shit, but from what I've seen of him it seems there's a lot there with which Benitez could work. From all accounts he gave Gallas a decent game the other day, which is no mean feat.

I read a broadsheet piece on him the other week an all, and he comes across as being very dedicated to the profession and a lad with both feet firmly grounded - which would give him the 'attitude' edge over Pennant.

I think he'd be a decent shout. I'm sure the fact he's English would mean his asking price would be silly shit, but from what I've seen of him it seems there's a lot there with which Benitez could work. From all accounts he gave Gallas a decent game the other day, which is no mean feat.

I read a broadsheet piece on him the other week an all, and he comes across as being very dedicated to the profession and a lad with both feet firmly grounded - which would give him the 'attitude' edge over Pennant.

I don't think there are any English players in the premiership who would imrove our team TBH, accept for fat frank (on the bench) Terry, the wee man, and Jug Head Jed...

SWP

Possibly - but there are much better right sides midfielders out there in Europe than him, certainly Milner and Pennant shouldn't be on the agenda unless we're really as skint as everyone fears, SWP is a strange one, he scored a few great goals and was quick, he was flavour of the month - but still untried on the international and european stage

I don't think there are any English players in the premiership who would imrove our team TBH, accept for fat frank (on the bench) Terry, the wee man, and Jug Head Jed...

It's not just about improving the team though, it's about getting a wealth of players who can step in when needed. And right-wing is an area in which we're quite sparse at the minute.

And Defoe/Owen for Cissé would improve the team.

It's not just about improving the team though, it's about getting a wealth of players who can step in when needed. And right-wing is an area in which we're quite sparse at the minute.

And Defoe/Owen for Cissé would improve the team.

I see where your coming from, I think Owen is good enough but Defoe still has to prove himself, as does Milner SWP and Pennant...

In our current position we have 2-3 major weaknesses in our first eleven, we can't go flitting away 5 million here and 6 million there on squad players - indeed I'm hoping this is why we saw no movement in the window, I'm hoping Rafa is saving his cash for a couple of world class players who can make a major major impact...

Opinions?

I like Milner, he's been shunted around a few clubs, yet despite his youth and uncertainty around him has done very well at Villa, even when they were doing poorly. So I wouldnt be against it, deapnds on the money. That said I like Pennant too. Does it have to be either or ?

A quic look at the stats ;

Name GP G A SOT SC FW CW

J. Pennant 23 2 4 8 77 52 34

J. Milner 22 1 5 6 61 28 41

Pennant has one more goal yet one less assist. While Pennant has put in 77 succesfull crosses, top in the league, Milner has put in 61, the second most succesfull crosses in the league. Ahead of Gerrard and then Lampard.

• 2 months later...

Opinions?

He's a very good player, i'd be stunned if the Geordies sell him for cheap but it looks like thats what they're going to do. If we're going to keep Gerrard on the right he'd be a good second choice. He's got the 2nd most assists in the Premiership this season with 10. Wont be fashionable enough for some, he's just the quiet spotty young lad