You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dion Fanning Article on Robbies Return

KevieG

Apologies if this has already been posted, but i found that there was certainly very little about the return of god on the sunday papers. this was one of the few substantial articles.

IF one word encapsulates the ideas Rafael Benitez has tried to promote since becoming Liverpool's manager it is 'clever'. He likes clever players and he has bought a few, from the sublimely clever Xabi Alonso to the frustratingly clever Luis Garcia.

Benitez organises his teams rigidly but there is expression too. He believes that a footballer can use his imagination, daring and wit. It is the most startling contrast with the last regime where the only daring moments came when Gerard Houllier started to make his excuses.

The signing of Robbie Fowler on Friday evening is the symbolic conclusion of Houllier's reign. It may be the triumph of sentiment over reason, but there is a need for both in every great football team.

While Djibril Cisse continues to play with the blankness and vacuity that made his miss from six yards at Old Trafford last week not an aberration but the logical conclusion to his general play, Liverpool will not be free of Houllier's influence. But Fowler's return says something.

He remains a better player than Cisse, even at 30, even with a dicky knee, hip and back. The years when Liverpool looked to Emile Heskey, El Hadji Diouf and Salif Diao for inspiration have come to an end.

Houllier may have known what he wanted, but he had no idea how to get it except to sign footballers on an identikit basis of pace and power. Skill rarely came in to it. Cleverness, with its connotations of individuality and expression, was a dirty word.

Fowler, at 30 is finally getting the manager who would have made him, at 20, one of the greatest strikers in the history of the game. He was indulged at first at Liverpool, then never more than tolerated, his massive popularity a strain on the regime rather than a sign of how players at the club shared some sort of a bond with the team.

But when Benitez preaches about the suppression of ego, he is not just talking about the players but his own. He does not care what people think of him, evidenced by his refusal to sign Michael Owen and his decision to go head to head with Hull and Norwich City in signing a player many believe to be gone.

Benitez doesn't care what people think and, while he has the support of Liverpool's fans in re-signing Fowler, there would be many managers as concerned with the reaction of their peers to signing a player who has yet to start a Premiership game this season.

But Fowler's intelligence and his ability to read the knockdowns of Peter Crouch may propel him towards a swansong. Cisse does not have the intelligence to participate in a team game, while Fernando Morientes only has brief moments where he appears to be adapting.

Fowler will challenge them all, while he proves to himself and others that he has not entered semi-retirement, content to work on his golf handicap and live off the earnings of his many, many properties.

In fairness to the press, Robbie hasn't been at the top of the pile of strikers for years. So his return, other than on Merseyside, is not the news it may once have been.

But it's a story isn't it? It might not send shockwaves in footballing terms, but as a news story it is a damn sight more interesting than most transfers

Yeah but it was mostly in Saturdays papers wasn’t it.

That was the biggest transfer shock of the year (ok, past year) wasn’t it. The papers didn’t even pick up on it so the reason it probably got so much coverage the next day was so they didn’t ‘lose face’ (I love that phrase).

Probably the reason why it died down a bit on Sunday is cause Fowler only gave one interview to the club which was passed out to the media probably so it wouldn’t take attention away from yesterdays game.

But Fowler's intelligence and his ability to read the knockdowns of Peter Crouch may propel him towards a swansong. Cisse does not have the intelligence to participate in a team game, while Fernando Morientes only has brief moments where he appears to be adapting.

A rare moment of clarity regarding Liverpool's team from the press. You can just tell that she's watched a few of our games.

Guest PeteH's Gay
I just hope he doesn't take my place in the team tbh.

I will murder rafa if he does.

Nah its Cisse whose gonna get the hook mate. He aint gonna have a sniff now

Guest PeterCrouch
Nah its Cisse whose gonna get the hook mate. He aint gonna have a sniff now

cheers for the vote of confidence mate.

Tell u what i could murder a brew.

"You can just tell that she's watched a few of our games".

SHE??

Dion is a 100% hot blooded MALE!

Unusual name' date=' but male, nonetheless.[/quote']

Well, that put put me in my place then. :$

I suppose I should have seen that one coming, with Dion Dublin and all. What was I thinking? :no

Guest PeterCrouch
Well, that put put me in my place then. :$

I suppose I should have seen that one coming, with Dion Dublin and all. What was I thinking? :no

I know you are such a cunt aren't u!

I know you are such a cunt aren't u!

What's your angle? Are you trying to get the word 'murder' into every post (obviously barring this one) you're clearly not a true Red so why are you wasting your time, it just seems weird that someone could be that arsed.

What's your angle? Are you trying to get the word 'murder' into every post (obviously barring this one) you're clearly not a true Red so why are you wasting your time, it just seems weird that someone could be that arsed.

He must be one of those 'mancs'

If not he's a red who was not blessed with any 'wit'