You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Is González a victim of a racist government?

Captain

The situation with our new winger upsets me. How the fuck can a panel of so-called football experts sit in judgement over Rafael Benítez and his decision to use a player in our team? We're talking about one of the top football managers in the world here. I just don't get it, and it gets worse.

To top it off, they don't refuse him to play for us this season because they think is shit. No, they decide he can't play for Liverpool because his country isn't ranked high enough. Wtf is that about? They are actually refusing González his work permit on grounds of his nationality. Make no mistake about it, if they tried to pull this stunt on a member of the EU all sorts of shit would hit the fan.

It's like saying the Albatross is a great player because he's Spanish, or Emile Heskey is a brilliant striker because he's English.

I find this practise morally disgusting to say the least. It actually has elements of racism in it. To refuse a player a work permit on the grounds that his national side isn't good enough is just fucking stupid, fucking wrong and unbelievably irritating!

Rant over.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The situation with our new winger upsets me. How the fuck can a panel of so-called football experts sit in judgement over Rafael Benítez and his decision to use a player in our team? We're talking about one of the top football managers in the world here. I just don't get it, and it gets worse.

To top it off, they don't refuse him to play for us this season because they think is shit. No, they decide he can't play for Liverpool because his country isn't ranked high enough. Wtf is that about? They are actually refusing González his work permit on grounds of his nationality. Make no mistake about it, if they tried to pull this stunt on a member of the EU all sorts of shit would hit the fan.

It's like saying the Albatross is a great player because he's Spanish, or Emile Heskey is a brilliant striker because he's English.

I find this practise morally disgusting to say the least. It actually has elements of racism in it. To refuse a player a work permit on the grounds that his national side isn't good enough is just fucking stupid, fucking wrong and unbelievably irritating!

Rant over.

"The Beurocratic mentality is the only constant in the world" Sean Connery

A couple of things; if you are a member of EU you don't need a work permit. If you did, the Albatross wouldn've gotten one as he's not an international. I agree with you that they should look into their criterias on how to hand out work permits, but I don't think it's racism at all. If I remember correctly, spurs had a player turned down last January (or maybe the year before that) on the same grounds as this case, an american I think.

Blair loves right-wingers and right-wingers love Blair.

:D

Nah the whole work permit thing is fucked up. I see where it works for the man in the street, i.e they don't want chilean road sweepers coming over and depriving ours of jobs, but for something 'high-end' like medicine or dentistry, they make the exception because it improves society.

I suppose if they opened the floodgates you would have nigerian and mexican players plugging the gaps that youth team and part time players fill - wheras exceotions are made for the best of the best who improve the game - Gonzalez may (and from what we've heard, does) the problem is the people making this decision know nothing. I wish i could find something on the net for the background of this football advisory pannel but i can't, i know one of them played for Reading in the 80's though - thats the pedigree we're talking about...

the whole thing totally baffles me, in the last year my local non-league team have had three or four Argentinians playing for them, the latestone signed this week, this is conference south level we are talking about, one of them is now playing at Wycombe Wanderers, they have obviously got work permits because they are Argentinian, great for my local team as they are a class above most of what is in that league but how on earth can they be more worthy of a work permit that Gonzales?

the whole thing totally baffles me, in the last year my local non-league team have had three or four Argentinians playing for them, the latestone signed this week, this is conference south level we are talking about, one of them is now playing at Wycombe Wanderers, they have obviously got work permits because they are Argentinian, great for my local team as they are a class above most of what is in that league but how on earth can they be more worthy of a work permit that Gonzales?

Rant over.

Rubbish. It is not racist in the slightest, you obviously know nothing about the system (your comments about the EU show that - you don't need a permit if you are from the EU). The reason he was turned down is because his country is no good at football, he has just recovered from long-term injury and would be coming here on low wages relative to the rest of the squad. The question the panel has to ask is, does the club really need to sign this player who ordinarily would not qualify for a work permit to work in the UK, or are there similarly skilled British (or even European) youngsters who could do the same job.

They have got this decision totally wrong, no doubt about that, but they are a panel of well respected experts. Roy Evans has sat on panels in the past. Frank Clark did a few too. Basically, any top flight manager who is now out of a job (so they have the time to devote to the task), can be asked to sit on the panel. It is annoying that it has negatively affected us, but the system itself usually works pretty well. You can't just go on the word of the manager who is signing the player, as they could make any carlos kick-a-ball sound like a world beater just to get the permit! Just look at how Houllier described Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan, etc.

Rant over.

Rubbish. It is not racist in the slightest, you obviously know nothing about the system (your comments about the EU show that - you don't need a permit if you are from the EU). The reason he was turned down is because his country is no good at football, he has just recovered from long-term injury and would be coming here on low wages relative to the rest of the squad. The question the panel has to ask is, does the club really need to sign this player who ordinarily would not qualify for a work permit to work in the UK, or are there similarly skilled British (or even European) youngsters who could do the same job.

They have got this decision totally wrong, no doubt about that, but they are a panel of well respected experts. Roy Evans has sat on panels in the past. Frank Clark did a few too. Basically, any top flight manager who is now out of a job (so they have the time to devote to the task), can be asked to sit on the panel. It is annoying that it has negatively affected us, but the system itself usually works pretty well. You can't just go on the word of the manager who is signing the player, as they could make any carlos kick-a-ball sound like a world beater just to get the permit! Just look at how Houllier described Diao, Cheyrou, Biscan, etc.

Rant over.

Rant over.

Rant over.

Rant over.

Rant over.

Rubbish. It is not racist in the slightest, you obviously know nothing about the system (your comments about the EU show that - you don't need a permit if you are from the EU).

Do they? If you think my point was about getting a work permit you missed the point. The point was that the EU does not allow you to discriminate against an individual of the member states on the basis of nationality.

The reason he was turned down is because his country is no good at football, he has just recovered from long-term injury and would be coming here on low wages relative to the rest of the squad. The question the panel has to ask is, does the club really need to sign this player who ordinarily would not qualify for a work permit to work in the UK, or are there similarly skilled British (or even European) youngsters who could do the same job.

To deny him his work permit for the reason that his country (not the player himself) is no good at football is imo as far away from reason as it gets. It's just plain fucking stupid. And discriminating against an individual on the basis of his nationality imho has elements of racism in it.

Imo Benítez is more qualified to decide whether Liverpool really need to sign a player than any panel would ever be.

Rubbish. It is not racist in the slightest, you obviously know nothing about the system (your comments about the EU show that - you don't need a permit if you are from the EU).

Do they? If you think my point was about getting a work permit you missed the point. The point was that the EU does not allow you to discriminate against an individual of the member states on the basis of nationality.

The reason he was turned down is because his country is no good at football, he has just recovered from long-term injury and would be coming here on low wages relative to the rest of the squad. The question the panel has to ask is, does the club really need to sign this player who ordinarily would not qualify for a work permit to work in the UK, or are there similarly skilled British (or even European) youngsters who could do the same job.

To deny him his work permit for the reason that his country (not the player himself) is no good at football is imo as far away from reason as it gets. It's just plain fucking stupid. And discriminating against an individual on the basis of his nationality imho has elements of racism in it.

Imo Benítez is more qualified to decide whether Liverpool really need to sign a player than any panel would ever be.