You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

• 2 weeks later...

Watching S4 again and there's a brilliant thing I've never noticed before.

When the hoppers are in class and they ask them what they want to be when they grow up and the yougest one say's he wants to be like that neurosurgoen off the TV, Ben Carson, and its laughed off with 'you'll have to work hard for that shit' and brushed off.

In the restaurant scene a few episodes later, when McNulty and Bunk are having dinner with their kids, Bunk's youngest says the same and its laughed off again as fantasy.

It a real know your lane moment all round where expectations are low no matter what your socio-demographic standing.

Just fucking brilliant.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Watching S4 again and there's a brilliant thing I've never noticed before.

When the hoppers are in class and they ask them what they want to be when they grow up and the yougest one say's he wants to be like that neurosurgoen off the TV, Ben Carson, and its laughed off with 'you'll have to work hard for that shit' and brushed off.

In the restaurant scene a few episodes later, when McNulty and Bunk are having dinner with their kids, Bunk's youngest says the same and its laughed off again as fantasy.

It a real know your lane moment all round where expectations are low no matter what your socio-demographic standing.

Just fucking brilliant.

Was it laughed off in the classroom? 

From memory it wasn’t. Yeah from the kids but the fit teacher who smokes had a more of a ‘but you’ll have to work hard attitude’. 

Iirc. 

Apologies if I got that wrong. 

1 minute ago, lifetime fan said:

Was it laughed off in the classroom? 

From memory it wasn’t. Yeah from the kids but the fit teacher who smokes had a more of a ‘but you’ll have to work hard attitude’. 

Iirc. 

Apologies if I got that wrong. 

It was laughed off in the 'Nice idea, little man' and then 'You'll need to do maths and science, which you don't have'

Brilliant scene and one I saw, sadly, too often in a former life.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

Norm was one of my favourite characters in the political side.

Reg Cathey's final scene in House of Cards was absolutely mint as well.

I remembered he’d been in House of Cards and Frank used to visit his rib shack but had forgotten that scene. Brilliant. 

On 24/08/2022 at 18:34, lifetime fan said:

2, 3/4, 1, 5 for me. 

I'm after watching it through again. I think I'd have 2/4 together as my favorites then 3/1 together and 5 as last. 5 isn't quite up to the standard of the other 4 but it's still quality telly. Loved Gus's character 

Just a brilliant show overall. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Has there ever been a show with such a wide range of tremendous characters?

I also loved the way it didn't make moral judgements.You sympathised with characters who essentially pushed smack on the streets because they had to do that to survive

Absolutely phenomenal tele.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Red74 said:

Now I know where this comes from

4B275C58-A303-41A7-9230-B84F63AEA1F1.gif

On 09/09/2022 at 13:37, Red74 said:

Full box sets are up on sky and I’ve finally started watching it. 

Can’t remember going on about it that much but I’ve had this off my lad 

5D3080CC-7DC4-42D7-994C-D93A7B8CA7BE.jpeg

Jealous of you. You seem to be ploughing through it pretty quickly.