Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

Picked this up from a charity shop for 33.3333333p the other week. 

Really good read, lots of insight about how the show nearly didn't get made and the worries they had about breaking the, "advert cliffhanger" mode which was the TV standard at the time. 

Good interviews with some cast members as as well. 

20210731_105902.jpg

• Upvote 4

Started watching it for the first time a couple of months ago; finished Series 5 last night.

Fuck me, it's good.

*Spoiler alert*

What happened to Omar was a brilliant example of how they don't let the temptation of a satisfying narrative arc get in the way of verisimilitude.

Brilliantly scripted and acted throughout.

• Upvote 5

Finished this a couple of weeks ago, it was my second time watching. Season 5 isn't as good as the first 4 seasons but it's still way ahead of most seasons of most other TV series.

How come they only made passing reference to the fact Rawls was gay? Is there a reason they didn't explore the storyline a bit more, similar to how the Sopranos did with Vito?

On 04/07/2021 at 20:30, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Mark Kermode, who doesn’t watch telly and has never seen The Wire, finally got round to watching it.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9yc3MuYWNhc3QuY29tL3RoZXdpcmUtc3RyaXBwZWQ%3D&episode=NWIzOTRmNzQtZTk4ZC00NTcyLWFlZDMtYjI2ZjEwNjE1N2Ez

Good listen that.

He is  spot on about series  4 and that Omar court scene is excellent.

A girl on the  5 live podcast  did one of the best  descriptions of the wire I've ever heard. 

One of the best shows ever.

1 hour ago, Carradona said:

Finished this a couple of weeks ago, it was my second time watching. Season 5 isn't as good as the first 4 seasons but it's still way ahead of most seasons of most other TV series.

How come they only made passing reference to the fact Rawls was gay? Is there a reason they didn't explore the storyline a bit more, similar to how the Sopranos did with Vito?

Just to add another layer of depth to the character.

Great way of being able to tell you a lot about a person and their motivations without spending real time on it.

The bar he’s in in season three, where he’s just hanging out as if it’s the most normal thing in the world. The homophobic graffiti on the toilets etc all make the character more complex and leave you asking is he out or closeted, does he care who knows or is it a guarded secret. 

It gives you the option to place labels and ideas against the character which others might not agree with, which is in line with his overt character in the series.

It’s brilliant writing.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

I love Rawls. Clearly good police but would rather climb the greasy pole by playing politics and following whatever way the wind blows.

Is he fuck. 

I love the Rawls character but bollocks is he good police, he’s a whatever gets him promoted man. 

25 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Is he fuck. 

I love the Rawls character but bollocks is he good police, he’s a whatever gets him promoted man. 

If you watch after kima gets shot he clearly knows his job well but chooses the promotion angle

The wire (like the sopranos) has so much stuff you pick up on the second or third viewing.

When Marlo visits Avon the guard instructs him " you're in seat number 2" signifying Avon is in charge of the situation and " the King stay the king"

• Upvote 1

These impressions are brilliant. Admiteddly some are better (Herc) than others (Omar) but the standard is pretty high:

I am just rewatching all of Homicide; Life on The Street and its amazing the amount of actors,mostly guests and bit part actors,who ended up in The Wire a decade or so later. Bizzarely Robin Williams popped up an episode of Homicide too.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I am just rewatching all of Homicide; Life on The Street and its amazing the amount of actors,mostly guests and bit part actors,who ended up in The Wire a decade or so later. Bizzarely Robin Williams popped up an episode of Homicide too.

I’ve been meaning to give this a rewatch for ages. The book is brilliant as well. As is The Corner.

52 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I’ve been meaning to give this a rewatch for ages. The book is brilliant as well. As is The Corner.

Its a bit dated but you can see where it influenced lots of future television series.

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Never seen this but mean meaning to, is it available on the usual streaming sites?