You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

• 1 month later...

‘Progress is painfully uneven’: Baltimore, 15 years after The Wire 

Full article below.

The TV repair shop that was run by drug kingpin Proposition Joe and the bar that belonged to Omar’s confidante Butchie have both closed down. Michelle Sponaugle, 53, whose father owned the latter, says: “It makes me sad. I used to work behind the bar. We had a good clientele but the crime got rough down here. My father had a gun put to his head a couple of times so we put up a bulletproof wall.” 

And the convenience store where Omar, the seemingly invincible stick-up man (“You come at the king, you best not miss”), was gunned down by a boy has vanished altogether after a blaze set off by the unrest of 2015 and the construction of an apartment complex for the elderly. Over the road is a park bench that proclaims without a hint of irony: “Baltimore: the greatest city in America.” One of its occupants, Alfred McDaniel, 59, says he never saw the series because he does not watch TV. “Time is too valuable to waste so why would I do something like TV? I’m in a house that should be condemned, so why would I watch TV? I’m in court trying to get them to fix it. I need surgery but I’m trying to deal with the rats and the mice. Where I live, the stupid landlord won’t even fix the goddam door.” McDaniel, a home repair man on medical leave, is in his fifth home in five years in the city. “I ain’t seen no improvement in Baltimore. You call the police to report a crime and they tell you they’re not going to file a report, so what police can you depend on in this city? So the next person who breaks in your room, you should kill them.” 

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/may/27/baltimore-15-years-after-the-wire

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

RAWLS: This is bullshit.

M.S.P. COLONEL: Those computations were checked and confirmed by the medical examiner's office. They're accurate for time-of-death to within a three-hour window.

RAWLS: Yeah, so you say.

M.S.P. COLONEL: Your own man in the city marine unit did the measurements on the container.

RAWLS: I happen to know my man in the marine unit intimately and he's, without a doubt, the most swollen asshole in American law enforcement.

Cole: I go in the men's room this morning, guess who's in the stall next to me, puking his guts out.

McNulty: Bunk Moreland.

Cole: How'd you know?

McNulty: Useless fuck can't hold his liquor

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Wire. For real...

https://m.huffpost.com/us/topic/trump-administration

The Baltimore police detective who was fatally shot in the line of duty last week was scheduled to testify in a federal case against officers indicted earlier this year, the Baltimore Police Department confirmed Wednesday.

The day after he died, Homicide Det. Sean Suiter, 43, was set to testify before a federal grand jury about an incident that occurred years ago involving BPD officers, Police Commissioner Kevin Davis said during a newsso conference. The officers were indicted in March and August on federal racketeering charges.

Davis also revealed that investigators believe Suiter had been killed with his own weapon, adding that there were signs of a struggle between Suiter, an 18-year veteran of the BPD, and his killer, who remains at large.

At Wednesday’s news conference, Davis attempted to dispel any rumors that Suiter’s pending testimony was related to his death.

Suiter was not a target of the ongoing federal investigation of the eight officers, members of Baltimore’s elite Gun Trace Task Force, according to police.

“The BPD and the FBI do not possess any information that this incident ... is part of any conspiracy,” Davis said, explaining that the fatal confrontation “appears to be nothing more than a spontaneous observation of a man behaving suspiciously and a spontaneous decision to investigate his conduct.”

Suiter, a father of five, was shot in the head on Nov. 15 after noticing a man acting suspiciously while he and his partner were investigating a 2016 triple homicide. He died one day later.

During that day’s investigation efforts, both Suiter and his partner had noticed the suspicious man in a vacant lot and approached him, Davis said Wednesday, citing surveillance camera footage reviewed by investigators.

“Upon the sound of gunfire, Detective Suiter’s partner sought cover across the street,” Davis explained. “He immediately called 911. We know this, because it is captured on private surveillance video that we have recovered.”

According to police, the ongoing investigation revealed that Suiter was shot within close range and was still holding his radio in his left hand.

Davis also confirmed that Suiter’s death remains an open homicide investigation and confirmed that police don’t have a suspect in custody a week after the shooting.

Asked about the conspiracy theories surrounding Suiter’s killing, Davis said, “It certainly makes for great theater.”

“We have a police officer who’s shot and killed, and we don’t have a good description and we don’t have someone in custody and ― lo and behold ― we find out after the fact that he was scheduled to testify in front of a federal jury.”

Still, Davis added, “there’s no evidence whatsoever that Suiter’s death was related to his testimony.”

Many people remain suspicious of the timing of Suiter’s death, including Intercept columnist and prominent civil rights activist Shaun King.

The Baltimore Police Department has been under public scrutiny after the Justice Department released a damning report last year that revealed the department had routinely abused Baltimore residents’ civil rights, including unconstitutional stops, frisks and arrests, using excessive force and taking a lax approach to sexual assault cases.

In April, a federal judge approved a deal made during the Obama administration between the city and the Justice Department to reform the troubled police department. The Trump administration had requested a delay on the approval of that deal, but it was rejected.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in a wire group on Facebook. One of the production assistants is in it and he's invited several cast members ( prez, stinkum,savino,kimmy) who have joined. Loads of interesting stuff from him.

There's an original series synopsis around for series 1 where mcnulty is mcardle,stringer bell is stringy bell(and an older less bright bloke) Really interesting to see how David Simon changed from his original ideas.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone know where I can stream it? I’m on my 3rd rerun of it, got to Season 3 and Sky without warning decided to remove it from the box sets the idiots. Now I’m halfway through and got a full day off tomorrow so I wanted to watch as much uninterrupted The Wire as possible! I’ve got a Samsung smart tv so preferably something to watch it on there would be great, if all else fails I’m going to end up paying £25 to stream it through amazon prime video. Hate it when Sky does this.