You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

Finally I get to read a The Wire thread without fear of spoilers. Got 3 episodes of Season 4 left. Who's your favourite character? Seems Omar is popular, but I really like Bunk, he's shit funny. YEEEEAAAAH. He good Poe-lease. Shame what a niceboy douche McNulty becomes in Season 4 though.

The Lisa Simpson award goes to that female enforcer of Marlo. Can you understand a word of that mouth tard?

There are so many great characters in every season.

Season 1 - is McNulty and daniiels v Stringer and Avon

Season 2 - The Polish dockers, you just have to feel sorry for Ziggy and hate Valchek. Really liked Beadie Russell. Got to love Prop Joe and Brother Mouzone

Season 3 - Major Colvin - We see more of Daniels - He sure works out! I'd bang the Pearlman too. But its Omar that steals it for me..

Season 4 - Still watching ..

There are so many great characters in every season.

Season 1 - is McNulty and daniiels v Stringer and Avon

Season 2 - The Polish dockers, you just have to feel sorry for Ziggy and hate Valchek. Really liked Beadie Russell. Got to love Prop Joe and Brother Mouzone

Season 3 - Major Colvin - We see more of Daniels - He sure works out! I'd bang the Pearlman too. But its Omar that steals it for me..

Season 4 - Still watching ..

No way Valchek rules!

Pryzbelewski is a very good character, you always expect the worse and then he turns it round.

Haha, I know the feeling!

You'll love it Paul, some great new caracters aswell.

Are you on about Season 4 or 5, Knut? If it's 4, it was on here last February, not this. It is the best yet, in my opinion.

In terms of great characters, they're all ace on some level - which is one of the secrets of the shows brilliance. My favourites are:

1. Omar. For a million reasons, but mainly for the tie in court and the dressing gown, slippers and Glock to go to he corner shop to buy breaky.

2. Bubbles. A real generous heart and a true gentleman, heroin addiction and homelessness not withstanding.

3. 'Kima Greggs. I loved the episode where she became the lesbian McNulty.

4. Cheese. Played by Method Man. Enough said.

5. Senator Clay Davis. "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit."

6. Bunny Colvin. Wise and amiable in equal measure.

7. Michael. A really ambiguous character. I can't wait to see whoch way he goes in Season 5.

8. "The" Bunk. For holding Omar to a code and for the "Fuck" crime scene investigation with McNulty.

9. McNulty. For being a mad, but brilliant Irish pisshead.

10. Marlo. One ice cold fucker - truly evil.

Not so sure about Marlo, he's one lucky bastard, he was about to be iced (check out my hip vernacular) twice by Barksdale's crew but was very fortunate to survive both times. But he is like a protege of Stringer and Avon with less emotion. I like Bodie too.

Good point about Michael, he's a really intriguing character. Only 3 episodes left, not sure if I can handle waiting a week plus between episodes as I've been watching 1 or 2 episodes a night for a while now.

Not so sure about Marlo, he's one lucky bastard, he was about to be iced (check out my hip vernacular) twice by Barksdale's crew but was very fortunate to survive both times. But he is like a protege of Stringer and Avon with less emotion. I like Bodie too.

Good point about Michael, he's a really intriguing character. Only 3 episodes left, not sure if I can handle waiting a week plus between episodes as I've been watching 1 or 2 episodes a night for a while now.

You'll agree with my Michael point even more after those three, I think.

On Marlo, I can't think of the other occasion, but on one of the attempts on his life, luck wasn't a factor. He told Kris and Snoop to check out the girl he fucked in case there was anything dodgy about her.

You'll agree with my Michael point even more after those three, I think.

On Marlo, I can't think of the other occasion, but on one of the attempts on his life, luck wasn't a factor. He told Kris and Snoop to check out the girl he fucked in case there was anything dodgy about her.

I wasn't even counting that time - that sure was smart. The 2 times were when Cutty (with Slim Charles) had him in his sights but got a conscience (never understood why Marlo never tried to get revenge) and when Barksdale's crew get strapped and ready to roll and the police hit the safe house after Stringer's tip off (remember smug McNulty showing Avon who the informant was?).

Are you on about Season 4 or 5, Knut? If it's 4, it was on here last February, not this. It is the best yet, in my opinion.

Ha. I just told Knut his post was a year out of date when it was me who was. What a tit.

I haven't started on season 5 yet, but there's at least one episode available now to download. Last year was ace because they "released" all episodes within a week or so after the first was shown in the US. I need to have more than one to watch before I start off, can't stand those teaser-endings. Must have it right away.

In terms of great characters, they're all ace on some level - which is one of the secrets of the shows brilliance. My favourites are:

1. Omar. For a million reasons, but mainly for the tie in court and the dressing gown, slippers and Glock to go to he corner shop to buy breaky.

2. Bubbles. A real generous heart and a true gentleman, heroin addiction and homelessness not withstanding.

3. 'Kima Greggs. I loved the episode where she became the lesbian McNulty.

4. Cheese. Played by Method Man. Enough said.

5. Senator Clay Davis. "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit."

6. Bunny Colvin. Wise and amiable in equal measure.

7. Michael. A really ambiguous character. I can't wait to see whoch way he goes in Season 5.

8. "The" Bunk. For holding Omar to a code and for the "Fuck" crime scene investigation with McNulty.

9. McNulty. For being a mad, but brilliant Irish pisshead.

No Bodie? Great character.

I am all wired up again! Season 1 is playing on national television and season 5 opening in U.S. I'm not sure how to deal with season 5 yet. I agree with Kop that downloading episode for episode is not ideal for Wire-junkies like me. On the other hand: how to keep your hands away from fresh episodes? I think I will start watching season 4 over again. I just realised that I had forgot that Stringer Bell got done in the end of season 3 and not season 4. Time for a rerun.

As for charaters:

1. Omar. The code. The game. The tie in court and the answers to the DA in court.

2. McNulty. The hero in season 1 and this still sticks. The "fuck" crime scene investigation.

3. Waylon. Played by Steve Earle. The speech that made Bubbles cheat himself to a '24-hour-drug-free-bracelet'. Earle is a talented actor.

4. Bodie. The definition of street smart.

5. Bunk. The co-op with Omar and the "fuck" crime scene investigation.

6. Michael. I'm with Paul on him.

7. Stringer Bell. Evil with a brain. Baltimores Michael Corleone. Wants to go legit. Michael got pulled back in. Stringer got pulled out.

8. The fat chief of Bunk and McNulty. Forgot his name. Doesn't give a shit what people think, love other peoples misery and know how to play the politics game and be still be real police. Got a good heart as well underneat.

I'll be a happy man if they ever make a tv-series of this quality again.

I am all wired up again! Season 1 is playing on national television and season 5 opening in U.S. I'm not sure how to deal with season 5 yet. I agree with Kop that downloading episode for episode is not ideal for Wire-junkies like me. On the other hand: how to keep your hands away from fresh episodes? I think I will start watching season 4 over again. I just realised that I had forgot that Stringer Bell got done in the end of season 3 and not season 4. Time for a rerun.

As for charaters:

1. Omar. The code. The game. The tie in court and the answers to the DA in court.

2. McNulty. The hero in season 1 and this still sticks. The "fuck" crime scene investigation.

3. Waylon. Played by Steve Earle. The speech that made Bubbles cheat himself to a '24-hour-drug-free-bracelet'. Earle is a talented actor.

4. Bodie. The definition of street smart.

5. Bunk. The co-op with Omar and the "fuck" crime scene investigation.

6. Michael. I'm with Paul on him.

7. Stringer Bell. Evil with a brain. Baltimores Michael Corleone. Wants to go legit. Michael got pulled back in. Stringer got pulled out.

8. The fat chief of Bunk and McNulty. Forgot his name. Doesn't give a shit what people think, love other peoples misery and know how to play the politics game and be still be real police. Got a good heart as well underneat.

I'll be a happy man if they ever make a tv-series of this quality again.

And I forgot Kima Greggs. The female McNulty.

I wasn't even counting that time - that sure was smart. The 2 times were when Cutty (with Slim Charles) had him in his sights but got a conscience (never understood why Marlo never tried to get revenge) and when Barksdale's crew get strapped and ready to roll and the police hit the safe house after Stringer's tip off (remember smug McNulty showing Avon who the informant was?).

Cutty didn't have Marlo in his sights; it was Fruit.

I tell you what's a mad one - that scene where thingio (mental block - murder squad Colonel who ends up Deputy Ops) is at the bar in the gay club in Season 3 and it's never been mentioned or even referred to since. It may or may not come back into the story in Season 5. I love shit like that in The Wire.

Cutty didn't have Marlo in his sights; it was Fruit.
At first I thought you meant Fruit nearly had Marlo then, I was well confused.

Makes a lot more sense. I still think the Barksdale had more smarts then Marlo's crew though, they would have got him first.

Rawls

Ta.

At first I thought you meant Fruit nearly had Marlo then, I was well confused.

Makes a lot more sense. I still think the Barksdale had more smarts then Marlo's crew though, they would have got him first.

I agree that Avon is smarter. The problem was that he'd lost so many of his soldiers. In fact he kept going on about Weebay being locked up and Bird being dead - that's why he wanted Cutty back on the job.

The other issue was the different tack taken by Stringer while Avon was inside. Joining the co-operative and his avoidance of conflict meant that Marlo was basically left alone for too long and allowed to become powerful, both in terms of corners and muscle (Snoop and Kris are the biggest pair of lidders in a Baltimore full of them).

My point about Marlo was really just to say how cold he is. Death is literally nothing to him.

Have you finished Season 4 yet? I want to banter about the ending.

Ta.

I agree that Avon is smarter. The problem was that he'd lost so many of his soldiers. In fact he kept going on about Weebay being locked up and Bird being dead - that's why he wanted Cutty back on the job.

The other issue was the different tack taken by Stringer while Avon was inside. Joining the co-operative and his avoidance of conflict meant that Marlo was basically left alone for too long and allowed to become powerful, both in terms of corners and muscle (Snoop and Kris are the biggest pair of lidders in a Baltimore full of them).

My point about Marlo was really just to say how cold he is. Death is literally nothing to him.

Have you finished Season 4 yet? I want to banter about the ending.

No, but I would have if my brothers girlfriend hadn't come around yesterday. Grrrr. Don't you know that The Wire is more important then people!

I agree about how cold he is, I was about to say the same about Barksdale but then I remembered D.

What do you make of the new McNulty? It's made his character an irrelevance now and I'd have rather they killed him off or something then this new wuss version.

Not sure how I feel about all the politics, it's well done and interesting but takes up too much of the show in my view.

Going to re watch season 1 2 and 3 all over again before I start season 4. Its great to see it right from the start again. Just to put bits and pieces together again.

I also wondered about Rawls and the gay bar thingy. Does it explain anything? He is one evil bastatd. The way he creamed Colvin was immense. Colvin thought he was safe to come cream and bang. The goal posts change and demoted. What a bastard.