You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Which is your favourite season of The Wire?  

163 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favourite season of The Wire?

So what do you think about the start to the new seies, Hoddy? I'm loving the political machinations with Burrell getting manipulated all over the place and Rawls as the new (and very unpopular) Deputy Opps. It feels like another slow-burning classic with Cheese gaining a bigger role, Avon on his way out of slam, Omar great as ever and Greggs turning into a female McNulty by the second. Gotta love the "Put kids off violence by autopsy" route to keeping the streets clean, too. I've seen the first two episodes and it already feels even better than Season Two.

Oh, by the way - did you see The West Wing has been canned? Season 7 is the last one. Also, did you know that Sorkin left because of a crack habit? It's in today's Guardian.

Edited by Paul

So what do you think about the start to the new seies, Hoddy? I'm loving the political machinations with Burrell getting manipulated all over the place and Rawls as the new (and very unpopular) Deputy Opps. It feels like another slow-burning classic with Cheese gaining a bigger role, Avon on his way out of slam, Omar great as ever and Greggs turning into a female McNulty by the second. Gotta love the "Put kids off violence by autopsy" route to keeping the streets clean, too. I've seen the first two episodes and it already feels even better than Season Two.

Oh, by the way - did you see The West Wing has been canned? Season 7 is the last one. Also, did you know that Sorkin left because of a crack habit? It's in today's Guardian.

Hey Paul, am typing this while trying not to read what you wrote; I'm a DVD guy, I haven't got Sky and so have to wait until Season 3 is released in the shops. Don't think I'll be waiting long though as they were ultra-quick with Season 2. Am particularly looking forward to this one as, although I enjoyed the insight into the white man's travails in this whole war and the piercing social commentary on a dying trade at the docks, I was itching for more Barksdale storylines as there's so many more places they can take it.

I realise that the show is not as reliant on plot twists to shock people with, but I'd still rather not know anything about Season 3 either way. I still remember, for instance, how shocking De Angelo's death was. Compare this with anything that happens in '24' and 'Lost' and it's truly a case of less is more.

On The West Wing - sad but I'm quite glad. It was Sorkin's baby and without Martin Sheen (I'm no Season Five, Six, Seven expert but surely they couldn't realistically write him back in), and of course without John Spencer, I fail to how it could continue.

Sorkin's addiction problem has been fairly well-documented over the years, but I wasn't aware that was the reason he left – thanks for that. I remember talking about him to my dad, asking the question whether true genius (as I believe in this arena Aaron Sorkin has) can be attained without the aid of certain mind-enhancers. What do you reckon? Adds an extra poignancy when you bear in mind how many screen minutes were dedicated to a war on drugs.

Have watched the first two series of the wire and will wait until series 3 comes out on dvd before watching that. The first two seriies are excellent but I was at first a little disappointed to see it taken away from West Side Baltimore and to the Docks in season 2. They did include enough of Barksdale/Stringer/DeAngelo so as to keep the interest going on that score.

Does anyone here watch The Shield? That's a similarly good programme.

Yep. The last series with Glenn Close as the new captain was fucking ace.

there's a new shield series out in the US now, 24 sarts in Feb over here.

Also re runs of the shield are on tonight on 5, I do get out more than you think you know

The Wire is a great series but not in the same league as The Sopranos, The Shield or 24. Sometimes the accents get a little too heavy and you have to throw the subtitles on!

The Wire is a great series but not in the same league as The Sopranos, The Shield or 24. Sometimes the accents get a little too heavy and you have to throw the subtitles on!

I can't believe you can mention the formulaic, cliche-ridden tosh that is 24 in the same sentence as The Wire. The Sopranos and The Shield are both phenomenal pieces of drama, so I can't quibble too much over personal preference, but 24? Vauxhall Conference to The Wire's Champions of Europe.

• 2 weeks later...
Best. Telly. Ever.

I have all(?) three seasons now. Started on it a couple of days ago but have just watched two episodes.

Looking good so far. My first impression is that the casting is very, very good, and the build up vouch for a realistic drama with quality dialogs.