You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Selling the fanzine outside the Kop....

dave u

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D'you ever sell them in or outside the pubs Dave?

Too crowded in there and there are only four (occasionally five) of us who sell so it's easier to just try and cover all four corners of the ground.

As for AWS' question about asking permission to sell inside the gates, there's no way they'd agree to it. They'd say something about congestion or something. To be fair I wouldn't expect them to allow us to sell fanzines on club property, especially as sometimes there are things in there which are crictical of them.

Too crowded in there and there are only four (occasionally five) of us who sell so it's easier to just try and cover all four corners of the ground.

As for AWS' question about asking permission to sell inside the gates, there's no way they'd agree to it. They'd say something about congestion or something. To be fair I wouldn't expect them to allow us to sell fanzines on club property, especially as sometimes there are things in there which are crictical of them.

Buy a helicopter and dangle from a rope, people would be able to find you easily.

No, don't thank me.

How difficult would it be for you and your old fella to be mobile. As in if you were both to be walking up and down the side of the Kop you aren't standing still so by the time you've sold a copy you're on the move again? I know that you'd struggle on the corner of the main stand and the Kop but is it a possibility?

How difficult would it be for you and your old fella to be mobile. As in if you were both to be walking up and down the side of the Kop you aren't standing still so by the time you've sold a copy you're on the move again? I know that you'd struggle on the corner of the main stand and the Kop but is it a possibility?

Doesnt make any difference, as the flag seller who stands by me has tried that (he even had a peddlers license which he said meant the police couldn't do anything about it), and he still got moved. The same with the wristband sellers.

The problem is, even if the police don't have the right to move you legally, there's nothing to stop them saying you're causing an obstruction and being abusive (even if your not) and then throwing you in the van.

They cant charge you, but it means you've lost a days sales and in my case I'd miss the match as well.

All in all, it isn't worth crossing them.

Doesnt make any difference, as the flag seller who stands by me has tried that (he even had a peddlers license which he said meant the police couldn't do anything about it), and he still got moved. The same with the wristband sellers.

The problem is, even if the police don't have the right to move you legally, there's nothing to stop them saying you're causing an obstruction and being abusive (even if your not) and then throwing you in the van.

They cant charge you, but it means you've lost a days sales and in my case I'd miss the match as well.

All in all, it isn't worth crossing them.

Have you considered purchasing a firearm and publicly executing an officer as a warning to the rest of the force?

Given that they don't care if you sell across the road where the pavement's even smaller it seems like the police are only doing it at the bequest of the club. I can understand why they're moving those arseholes with the horns but shifting everyone is a cunt's trick. Especially since they ignore the touts.

How about setting up a petition calling for the club either to make appropriate space available for fanzine sellers or to ask the police to back off unless public safety is threatened?Should be easy to collect a few thousand signatures over the various forums and then DT could try and raise it at the AGM.

Staggering, it really is. I saw Dave standing in the middle of the road after the game trying to sell the fanzine.

1) It's funny really when on Saturday I was approached half a dozen times by people trying to get me to apply for the LFC credit card. I don't care where they stand, they are more of a pain in the arse than any street trader. Plus they are deceitful as their first comment when they approach you is "Today we are giving away free membership to the supporters club..." No mention of the card.

2) I bet they will still rely upon the RAOTL team to help with mossaics in the future.

Dave, I really don't think you should just take a "There's no point writing" attitude. You've no idea what the response will be and it could be a positive one for you. What have you got to lose except half an hour and the price of a stamp? It's got to be worth a go before you get into a petitions and AGM scenario.

I'm going to write to Parry. I don't think he's behind it (in fact I'm certain he isn't) but it will be interesting to see whay he says.

I've left things in John Pearman's hands, as myself and Steve Kelly both felt that he was the 'respectable' one amongst us ;-)

Apparently Poynton and Inspector Swift told John on saturday that this was a permanent thing.

Maybe John will speak to Parry himself, I don't know. But I'm going to write to him rather than take any other action. It would be easy to get the Echo to kick up a fuss over it, or to get the fans involved (maybe have a few thousand stand outside the Kop pretending to sell TLW, I'm sure that would get our point across!), but I'd rather not do anything like that.

So I'm gonna ask Parry what the score is.

I'm going to write to Parry. I don't think he's behind it (in fact I'm certain he isn't) but it will be interesting to see whay he says.

I've left things in John Pearman's hands, as myself and Steve Kelly both felt that he was the 'respectable' one amongst us ;-)

Apparently Poynton and Inspector Swift told John on saturday that this was a permanent thing.

Maybe John will speak to Parry himself, I don't know. But I'm going to write to him rather than take any other action. It would be easy to get the Echo to kick up a fuss over it, or to get the fans involved (maybe have a few thousand stand outside the Kop pretending to sell TLW, I'm sure that would get our point across!), but I'd rather not do anything like that.

So I'm gonna ask Parry what the score is.

Good man. Words rule; actual action is for the intellectually weak.

Interestingly, according to this it's only touting outside the ground that's OK. Doing it online is a no-no.

So, the overall policy seems to be "we don't mind you buying tickets from a tout - just make sure they're real ones and only buy them outside the ground". "Oh yeah - and don't buy a fanzine". :D

(Edit) And since it's your income Dave, yes I do realise it's not really a laughing matter - just thought it was a bit ironic...

Then the crime rate on Saturday afternoons at Anfield is through the roof.

Yup - it just shows that the police enforce what they want to enforce.

But if I ever pass on a ticket,I make sure it's not done in full view of the law just in case.

What about the Bluenoses? I take it some of their supporters can read and write, so they've also got a fanzine or two - are they being forced away?

Dunno, but I might try and get in touch to ask them. The pavements at Goodison are a lot narrower than outside the Kop, so I'd assume if the police are bing consistent then they would move them on too.

What about the Bluenoses? I take it some of their supporters can read and write, so they've also got a fanzine or two - are they being forced away?

They'll be ok - they have a special exemption under one of the government's adult literacy schemes.

An absolute joke that, considering were your spec is how the feck your causing an obstruction with your back pinned up against the wall is anyone's guess. It's the fiverworld crew that make you have to jump off the pavement not the sellers. The touts out the front are allowed carte blanche whilst the rest have to feck off, typical peelers! If you don't get any joy from your representations to Parry, I would certainly try and get it out to the subscriber base of the three zines effected and the connected forums to get you back to your rightful spots!

Just a thought Dave, but have you tried contacting any of the Anfield ward city councillors?

I know politicians are generally considered the spawn of Satan, but they might be sympathetic to your plight, and they do hold some measure of influence over the local police. At the very least, they ought to be able to get you a straight answer as to why the police have begun to act in what I believe is an unnecessarily heavy-handed manner.

F*ckin arseholes Dave lad. Got nothing better to do have they.

Have you considered selling the fanzine in newsagents / WH Smiths in Ireland?? Could earn you a bit more with the fan base over there.

You should get help regaining your patch by contacting the mighty Chuck Norris, he would sort that sh*t out for you. The only problem is he might round house every mother f*cker in his path so you wont sell no copies at all.