You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Reserves

Stouffer

I don't get to see the reserves play and rely heavily on Dave's reports for info. The impression I had was that under Houllier was that we basically had no reserve team and just used the games as an excuse for 1st teamers to regain some match fitness. It seems that under Rafa things have gotten only marginally better. In order for Liverpool to be a force once again I think we need a strong reserve side, not only to help the youngsters but to also give the first team some competition. Remarks please. :party:

Well, I think things have got better. I know we're not really winning that many games and that the games are not always great spectacles, but the side is full of potentially good players, and surely that's better than having it clogged up by Cheyrous and Diaos.

At least there's a chance that some of these boys will turn into first team players.

Unfortunately, the changes within the youth system from U19 and U17 to just U18 mean clubs will have to throw players into the reserve sides to give them games. This year, clubs have been allowed to field 2-3 over age players in U18 matches, but that rule is changed from next season, so where do we put the late developing 19-year-olds? There's only one place really.

Well considering only 2 players made it up 2 melwood from the academy last season (peltier and guthrie) shows that if your 18/19, you have to be something special because its a big step from youth to reserves and with ther being no u19 side, then most likely your on ur way to vauxhall motors etc! the other problem is we have 3 goalkeepers and only 1 can start on a saturday leaving one more place on the bench, that leaves 1 goalkeeper and he's not playing for the reserves cuz they've got their own keeper so what happens with him. its silly like and shows how football has changed over the years! back in the old days if a first team player was injured, then the person playing his position in the reserves would step right in because the squad was so small but now there's the regular 16 who are in the squad most weeks, then the regular 16 reserve players and then the 1s in between (Dudek etc) theres no going back tho so :s