You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard

Hermes

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a player. His energy is amazing. There are more creative players and better passers in the world but for all-round ability he's got be as good as anybody. As for consistency he's out on his own, outstanding in almost every game this season.

He's right up there with Hansen/Dalglish/Barnes as the best I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt.

Totally agree with you.

The great thing is he will be better and will become an Anfield legend.

Best LFC midfield player since Souness and given time he could overtake him

Makes me laugh that people thought that £35M was good money and "think of what Rafa could do with that" - well I'll tell you what, there is not CM in the world worth his right leg..... Local Lad, World Class, Cost Nowt, Loves the Club - Priceless.

In 1987 we sold Ian Rush. At the time he was the finest finsher in the World. Everyone wrote us off, thinking he was absolutely key to the team.

With the £3.2m Kenny bought John Barnes, Ray Houghton, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge thereby creating arguably the most entertaining footballing side British football has ever witnessed.

In 1987 we sold Ian Rush. At the time he was the finest finsher in the World. Everyone wrote us off, thinking he was absolutely key to the team.

With the £3.2m Kenny bought John Barnes, Ray Houghton, Peter Beardsley and John Aldridge thereby creating arguably the most entertaining footballing side British football has ever witnessed.

Gerrard is the best CM in the world.... in 1987 there were better all round players that suited the big clubs abroad better than Rush. Rush was a flop in Italy remember.. Gerrard wouldn't flop anywhere....

Gerrard is the best CM in the world.... in 1987 there were better all round players that suited the big clubs abroad better than Rush. Rush was a flop in Italy remember.. Gerrard wouldn't flop anywhere....

Rush was the best striker in the World. He used to win games on his own.

Love the revisionism though, Rush was without equal as a goalscorer. That Juventus team wasn't built to cater for his talent that is why he was a "flop" as you call it.

Makes me laugh that people thought that £35M was good money and "think of what Rafa could do with that" - well I'll tell you what, there is not CM in the world worth his right leg..... Local Lad, World Class, Cost Nowt, Loves the Club - Priceless.

To be fair Gerrard was'nt exactly showing his top form last year and seemed to have his mind elsewhere. It was at this point that the majority of fans thought 'Get rid for £35mil and we'll start rebuliding', not 'well he can play better if he's happy so really the asking price should be £45mil'. Both price tags are obscene, in my opinion, for any player in the world.

We'd have got at least 3 very good players with the £35m we would have got off the Chavs Kopite, but we would still have been a poorer team for it. Thank christ he changed his mind, because if we keep going the way we are and he continues to play as he is, he'll be a champion at Liverpool and a legend with it.

Rush was the best striker in the World. He used to win games on his own.

Love the revisionism though, Rush was without equal as a goalscorer. That Juventus team wasn't built to cater for his talent that is why he was a "flop" as you call it.

Rush was a great striker but dont underestimate the effect of playing alongside the king had. Kenny used to provide most of Rushies ammo TBH I think that's part of the reason why he didnt do the biz in Italy

This sounds really gay - but he takes my breath away. I'm just left standing applauding like a seal every time I see him play. It's a rediculous cliche but he is worth the admission fee alone. I just turn to my mate and say "what a fucking player" etc.

Watchout for the seal clubber. He's somewhere not too far away. :tease:

I think Kopite makes a good point. No one is irreplaceable. Don't get me wrong, I'm really pleased Gerrard stayed and I'm very happy with how it is working out. But had we taken the money last summer then we'd have probably improved the quality of the whole team faster. Having said that, Rafa is still building his side, and it will be quite something when it all comes together with Gerrard in the mix.

Tom R also makes a good point about £40M. That's a lot of money. For argument's sake it could be Scott Parker, Kuyt, Joaquin and Agger. On the face of it we'd be better off, but then again we need to see what players we are able to bring in to play with Gerrard, not instead of him!

There is no way we should sell Gerrard for £40M!

No one is saying we should. But if we'd have gotten £40m in teh summer for him then we'd be laughing now. Probably. I'm glad he's still here, but I'd personally bite anybody's hand of for £40m.

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said about his ability. When I first saw him I thought he had the potential to become the best Liverpool player of all time. Now, after a couple of difficult seasons when his head was clearly not right, I think he's back on course to fulfil that potential.

Anyone who advocates selling Steven, is not a Liverpool fan but a Kenyon smurf. Gerrard is Liverpool, not bigger than the club but an icon of the club like Maldini is at Milan.

The Maldini who, early on, went down with AC Milan into Serie B allegedly at the time risking his international career. Compared with our icon who twice almost became a smurf?

Gerrard is not an icon YET.

The Maldini who, early on, went down with AC Milan into Serie B allegedly at the time risking his international career. Compared with our icon who twice almost became a smurf?

Gerrard is not an icon YET.

Nope the Gerrard who twice turned down Chelsea and laughed in their face more or less....