You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Peter Crouch and Djibril Cisse

Rashid

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Irritating though he is, I'm not sure we should be throwing abuse at Hermes. His own opinions thrown back at him will hit home far better than name calling - and believe me, I'm going to milk it for all it's worth when the big fella notches number 15 (not to mention when we finish second).

There's a lot to that theory, MLB. That goal today is the most composed thing I've seen him do for us. In fact, I think that was possibly the best performance in terms of his all round game.

Imho the most composed thing he's done for us is bury his penalty in Istanbul. It was rather important he did.

It’s all well and good complaining when Crouch couldn't hit a cow’s arse with a banjo despite the whole team trying to get him a goal, but when he is making chances, scoring goals and making opposition defences panic then I don't know how anyone can show their face and complain.

You should just tell it as it is Hermes, if he is playing shit then fair play say it, if he plays well then fair play should be to give him compliments. Moaning fans (me included) cannot have it both ways surely? You say that he only had one chance, but isn’t that the pure essence of a striker? One chance/One Goal?

Back to the main point, for Rafa's style of play with Crouchino doing all the thought work, laying on goals and holding it up, Cisse is the perfect striker. He is quick (which Crouch is not), he is a goalscorer (Crouch is more of a creator), and he can run the channels whereas Crouch stays more central. It’s a perfect partnership, it gives us speed too. If you look at Cisse's goal yesterday, it got us out of jail at a time when we expected loads of pressure; it was something out of nothing. Cisse could save Rafa millions. Everyone knows I'd love Owen back, but I'd prefer Cisse to be given a chance to prove we don't need Owen if at all possible.

It’s all well and good complaining when Crouch couldn't hit a cow’s arse with a banjo despite the whole team trying to get him a goal, but when he is making chances, scoring goals and making opposition defences panic then I don't know how anyone can show their face and complain.

You should just tell it as it is Hermes, if he is playing shit then fair play say it, if he plays well then fair play should be to give him compliments. Moaning fans (me included) cannot have it both ways surely? You say that he only had one chance, but isn’t that the pure essence of a striker? One chance/One Goal?

Back to the main point, for Rafa's style of play with Crouchino doing all the thought work, laying on goals and holding it up, Cisse is the perfect striker. He is quick (which Crouch is not), he is a goalscorer (Crouch is more of a creator), and he can run the channels whereas Crouch stays more central. It’s a perfect partnership, it gives us speed too. If you look at Cisse's goal yesterday, it got us out of jail at a time when we expected loads of pressure; it was something out of nothing. Cisse could save Rafa millions. Everyone knows I'd love Owen back, but I'd prefer Cisse to be given a chance to prove we don't need Owen if at all possible.

The problem is that as soon as Crouch has a bad game , you'll be back criticising as usual. Cisse did do well last night but he needs the space to run into, the game was set for him. At home though when teams have everyone behind the ball, Morientes who has more craft can be effective. We need all our strikers and Rafa can decide which partnerships will work depending on the opposition. Hermes is just a sad bollocks really, he's like that Wigan fan who was on Sky criticising Jewell and saying he wished they'd never got promoted.

by hermes definition of a striker then dalglish was shit after 1983 as he never scored more then 10 in the league.................

These kind of arguments piss me off, just like it does when people bring Bergkamp, Airmar, Rooney etc into the team. Kenny was about more than goals, as are the other three mentioned they. Their teams play revolves around them, they make the team tick, they score the odd goals, they provide the creative spark and bring others into play. They also provide inspiration and confidence to their team. We have that in Gerrard at the moment but he is a midfielder.

When Kenny was playing he was the best player on the park. Crouch isn't. Stupid comparison.

These kind of arguments piss me off, just like it does when people bring Bergkamp, Airmar, Rooney etc into the team. Kenny was about more than goals, as are the other three mentioned they. Their teams play revolves around them, they make the team tick, they score the odd goals, they provide the creative spark and bring others into play. They also provide inspiration and confidence to their team. We have that in Gerrard at the moment but he is a midfielder.

When Kenny was playing he was the best player on the park. Crouch isn't. Stupid comparison.

Rash, you've sort of proved his point. The lad didn't construct the argument, Hermes did and he was passing a logical comment on that. He never said Kenny was a worse player than Crouch and he wasn't implying that Kenny was a poor player for only scoring 10 goals in one season, he was stating the exact opposite, hence you proving his point.

It was a fantastic finish, Cisse is great when he does something instinctively, give him time to think and he falls apart......

Which sort of proved your point about him skying his earlier chance as wrong. Also, if he didn't have time to think when he collected the ball just past the halfway line then I don't know when he did! You have tied yourself in knotts on this one.

Instinctively ran half the length of the pitch, past Weir then stroked it into the corner. That's some impressive instincts!

The finish itself was instinctive. It's not like he was running towards Martyn from the half-way line with only the keeper to beat. His immediate thoughts were to beat Weir… which he did, albeit somewhat fortunately. Once he'd done that he immediately (without thinking) curled the quality finish past Martyn. That was instinctive, simple as.

Which sort of proved your point about him skying his earlier chance as wrong. Also, if he didn't have time to think when he collected the ball just past the halfway line then I don't know when he did! You have tied yourself in knotts on this one.

Have I?

I was talking about Crouch's goal, had it been Cisse one on one I wouldn't fancy him. He ran from the half way line for his goal but he wasn't one on one, once he'd slipped the defender he had a split second to pick his spot, which he did brilliantly........

Instinctively ran half the length of the pitch, past Weir then stroked it into the corner. That's some impressive instincts!

I'm talking about having instinctive shots on goal, one on one with the keeper and time to think what to do, Cisse is poor, quick chance he is excellent, I don't think I am the only one who sees him this way.........?

I'm talking about having instinctive shots on goal, one on one with the keeper and time to think what to do, Cisse is poor, quick chance he is excellent, I don't think I am the only one who sees him this way.........?

No in general I'd agree with you. I just didn't think you could describe last nights goal as instinctive as he ran from the half way line and thoughtfully put it in the one spot Martyn couldn't reach.

That's the thing with Cisse, just when you think you've got him buttoned as a hasty finisher who misses too many chances, he'll uncork a composed finish like that. He has got the potential which is what makes so many people hope he gets the chance and actually shows it. He also did well in the build up to Crouch's goal which he might not have done earlier in the season. Encouraging signs hopefully.

Most sensible people have said all along that judgement on Djibril needs reserving until the end of the season. However, others have written him off simply because they assume Rafa has. Last night was the first time I've seen Cisse play like he was thinking about the instructions he'd been given by the manager. He could yet save his Liverpool career by playing a few more like that (although another shirt-into-the-crowd moment at the end has got me thinking he knows he's on his way). Having said that, I still think we need another option up front: a poacher. It'd be nice to see Mellor given a crack at the job before we bring someone else in.