You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kewell Kewell Kewell

Stouffer

I genuinely thought he was the last piece of the jigsaw and we would win the league with him. The only other player we've signed who I have been certain he would have that sort of impact was Van Dijk. Gutted it didn't work out for him here because at Leeds he was one of the best in the prem. Some side they had back then. 

• Upvote 1

He only really had a couple of decent spells with us. The first was in his first year where he was in a mediocre team, and the second was for most of the 2005/06 season as part of a team that looked to be on the up after winning the Champions League. Even still, he never looked like the player who shone at Leeds. That version of Kewell was electric.

I still remember when it was in the sports press that Kewell would leave Leeds in 2003. They kept showing footage of him on some talk show, announcing which club he would be joining. Every time, they cut it before he said who it was. I figured it might be Arsenal or the Mancs as they were the two best sides (Chelsea got Abramovich and his millions a month or so after the Kewell transfer). I hoped it would be us but I had doubts as it had been a while since we'd signed anyone of proven calibre.

I don't think Rafa ever felt he could rely on him, hence signing Garcia to essentially play the same role, and later signing Gonzalez, Benayoun and Babel who could all play on the left in Rafa's preferred 4-2-3-1 system. Ability-wise, Kewell was better than that lot but he simply wasn't durable. We've had our fair share of talented but brittle players over the years.

Viduka was on fire for a couple of years there. Probably the top two Australian players ever for me. Kewell scoring the gola to put them through into the final 16 - then they are robbed by the Italians.

Saw Harry score twice at Anfield that first year - we lost both games 2-1 (Arse and United) - poisoned chalice.

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

Viduka wasn't even the best left footed Australian striker whose surname began with V, for me.

If we wasn't I'd like to know who was.

8 minutes ago, Trumo said:

I think he might be talking about Christian Vieri, who was born in Italy but moved to Oz until his teens.

So Vieri is the best left footed, Australian striker whose name begins with V who also happens to be Italian? 

4 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I genuinely thought he was the last piece of the jigsaw and we would win the league with him. The only other player we've signed who I have been certain he would have that sort of impact was Van Dijk. Gutted it didn't work out for him here because at Leeds he was one of the best in the prem. Some side they had back then. 

Morientes was the other for me. Didn’t think much for Diggler - had heard he was decent like, but that’s it. Morientes was a world beater apparently.

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

That's right, yeah. Dual national. Could have played for Australia but chose Italy.

Yeah, showing off that fact kind of fell flat with your left footed shite :P

He was already injured quite a bit for Leeds before he joined us, and had already lost some of that blistering pace that made him so exciting for Leeds. Some parallells could be drawn to Owen in that he peaked pretty early

He seemed to get sharper during his first few months for us, but as most here have said, once he got injured here never really looked the same player again.

16 hours ago, Daisy said:

He looked shite with us before the injuries. Houllier kept playing him right wing and was cack 

Then Rafa used to pay him as a no.10. Like in the Olympiakos game and the 05 final. Luckily Rafa changed it at ht in the former, bringing FSP on for Traore, moving Riise back to LB and Kewell to the wing. He immediately set up the FSP goal and started the comeback.

I was mates with a Leeds season ticket holder at uni around the time we signed him who'd been moaning about him for about a year before he came to Liverpool. That made me pay more attention to how he was playing and the excitement passed me by when we got him as he wasn't great in his last year there.

As others have said he looked fantastic as a young player but the injuries took the pace out of his game.

I met him a few years back and he seemed like a nice fella. He said going off in Istanbul was the toughest thing in his career but he knew he'd picked up an injury and needed to come off as he'd be letting the team down to play on when they could bring a fully fit player on instead. I felt a bit of sympathy for him especially when the consequences of Karius staying on in Kiev were what they were some time after that (although I acknowledge he may not have realised he was concussed).

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Turkish Delight said:

I was mates with a Leeds season ticket holder at uni around the time we signed him who'd been moaning about him for about a year before he came to Liverpool. That made me pay more attention to how he was playing and the excitement passed me by when we got him as he wasn't great in his last year there.

As others have said he looked fantastic as a young player but the injuries took the pace out of his game.

I met him a few years back and he seemed like a nice fella. He said going off in Istanbul was the toughest thing in his career but he knew he'd picked up an injury and needed to come off as he'd be letting the team down to play on when they could bring a fully fit player on instead. I felt a bit of sympathy for him especially when the consequences of Karius staying on in Kiev were what they were some time after that (although I acknowledge he may not have realised he was concussed).

Yeah,I too was unimpressed with Kewell's signing based on his poor injury record at Leeds. I don't think Leeds would have sold him if he was not injury plagued.

Down the years we could have an impressive fragile XI players. The team might be a little porous in midfield though.

kirkland

babbel matip agger 

jones.                                aurelio

Redknapp Lallana kewell

sturridge Litmanen 

Possibly harsh on Babbel I don’t remember him being injured a lot apart from the GBS that ended his career.

Other mentions could include;

-Cisse

-Carroll

-aquilani (perhaps he could have been decent if he was ever fit)

-Owen (but we saw the best of him) 

-Degen - managed something 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JagSquared said:

Down the years we could have an impressive fragile XI players. The team might be a little porous in midfield though.

kirkland

babbel matip agger 

jones.                                aurelio

Redknapp Lallana kewell

sturridge Litmanen 

Nice. 

Though I'd have

Kirkland

Heggem

Agger

Babb

Aurelio

Sissoko

Keita

Kewell

Carroll

Cisse

Oxlade-Chamberlain

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Yeah,I too was unimpressed with Kewell's signing based on his poor injury record at Leeds. I don't think Leeds would have sold him if he was not injury plagued.

Pretty sure that he was down to a year on his deal and made it clear that he wouldn’t be signing a new contract. Think Leeds had already began the fire sale by that point too.

He was deteriorating by the time he joined the club. I remember being surprised at how slow he looked considering he was known for having lightning pace at Leeds. I think they had the best of him and once the injuries started he was never really the same player again physically. 

• Upvote 1