You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marco van Basten...

Kopite

1 hour ago, Lee909 said:

Puskas, Eusebio, Pele, Muller are better strikers than Rush was. That's not shitting on him either. You can also make a case for Romario and Robert Lewandowski too. 

Rush was brilliant no dount, but the knock will always be his numbers in Italy, though not bad not a success. His success came in domestic football and only scored 10 goals in the European cup. 

Jimmy Greaves is right up there, as is Denis Law.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

Puskas, Eusebio, Pele, Muller are better strikers than Rush was. That's not shitting on him either. You can also make a case for Romario and Robert Lewandowski too. 

Rush was brilliant no dount, but the knock will always be his numbers in Italy, though not bad not a success. His success came in domestic football and only scored 10 goals in the European cup. 

He 'only' scored 10 in the European Cup because it was a straight knockout competition back then. No meaningless group games versus the champions of Albania,Lichtenstein etc,unless they were your actual drawn team.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Lee909 said:

The season in Italy where he was barely given a pass. The limited gamed European Cup. The two European Cup wins. Rush was a great great player.

11 hours ago, niallers said:

His volley in 88 is arguably the greatest ever goal in a final. Way better than zidane's in 01, great though that was. 

Gerrard's against West Ham is the greatest ever cup final goal. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Madrid Diecinueve said:

Gerrard's against West Ham is the greatest ever cup final goal. 

Off work with a bad back when watching that in a snooker club, I was sitting down resigned to defeat then she rang and said, oh well the the best team won, its  not over yet I replied and hung up. 

Then, fuck off get hold of that, I jumped out me chair fuckin' get in, aargh me back, get the fuck in. Called back, you where saying, oneof the very best cup final goals. 

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
24 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Great read.  I absolutely loved him as a kid. 

Nice big up for us as well in it

“They were other great club teams. Ajax in 1972, Bayern Munich in 1974, Liverpool from the 1980s and also Real Madrid with Ronaldo and especially Barcelona with Messi, Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi. So I’m not going to say we were the best. But we were one of them.”

41 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Fucking hell, didnt realise this was an older thread. Wait, what, Rushie not fit to lace Eusebio' Puskas, Pele and Muller's boots?! I think the lad is up there on goal scoring feats alone. Gerd Muller did 'nothing' but score goals but that's a fundemental part of the game.

There’s some absolute fucking shite spoken about Rush, and crazily far too much of it from Liverpool fans. 

He was absolutely world class and anyone who can’t see that don’t know shit. 

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Great read.  I absolutely loved him as a kid. 

Nice big up for us as well in it

“They were other great club teams. Ajax in 1972, Bayern Munich in 1974, Liverpool from the 1980s and also Real Madrid with Ronaldo and especially Barcelona with Messi, Busquets, Iniesta and Xavi. So I’m not going to say we were the best. But we were one of them.”

My first kits were the silver crown paints top and van Basten’s Milan top. 

I was obsessed by both of them as a kid. And still now to be fair. 

9 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

There’s some absolute fucking shite spoken about Rush, and crazily far too much of it from Liverpool fans. 

He defended better from the front than anyone, including any 'pressing' forward in today's game; he was like shit-from a-shovel fast, and scored as well as anybody. He also played at a time forwards didn't get much protection. Robbie Fowler was great, but not fit to lace Rushie's boots in my opinion. Love them both, but Rushie was the better all round striker.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

He defended better from the front than anyone, including any 'pressing' forward in today's game; he was like shit-from a-shovel fast, and scored as well as anybody. He also played at a time forwards didn't get much protection. Robbie Fowler was great, but not fit to lace Rushie's boots in my opinion. Love them both, but Rushie was the better all round striker.

Rushie was my hero. 

I don’t mind admitting meeting him was the best day of my life. And I’ve been married twice. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

Rushie was my hero. 

I don’t mind admitting meeting him was the best day of my life. And I’ve been married twice. 

You say that like getting married is a good thing.

22 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

In fairness,younger fans will only know Rushie on his return from Juventus and not before. Rushie was a different player on his return,still scored goals at first but then became an assistor and mentor to the likes of Fowler.