You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What was the most depressing thing from our last few league campaigns

sammya

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Liverpool at the moment seem to have picked another gear and have started winning games left and right. It reminds me a lot of Benitez's Valencia side during his first year as a coach there, when after an average star, after winning their first away match it was almost win after win. If Chelsea weren't that good (I say it again the best side the Premiership has ever produced) Liverpool would have a great chance of winning the league.

Well, Liverpool at the moment seem to have picked another gear and have started winning games left and right. It reminds me a lot of Benitez's Valencia side during his first year as a coach there, when after an average star, after winning their first away match it was almost win after win. If Chelsea weren't that good (I say it again the best side the Premiership has ever produced) Liverpool would have a great chance of winning the league.

"Best side the Premiership has ever produced"

I hope something has been lost in translation there, cos that is utter bollocks, mate.

"Best side the Premiership has ever produced"

I hope something has been lost in translation there, cos that is utter bollocks, mate.

Highest points total ever, best league season in English football history. You can argue about the quality of the opposition compared to other eras but nobody has ever amassed that amount of points.

14 wins in 16 games. Tell me an instance of that by "a better team". I hope nothing got lost in the translation now.

Hmm, we're still at cross-purposes, aren't we? No offence intended, but by greatest side the Premiership has produced, what about, as loathe I am to admit it, the United teams of the 1990's and the great Arsenal sides?...great teams, great style of play and a shit load of trophies. Chelsea are efficient, and have won one league title.

And of course, there is pre-1992....

14 wins in 16 games. Tell me an instance of that by "a better team". I hope nothing got lost in the translation now.

In terms of efficiency and points accumulation, they probably are, you're spot on. But football's about romance, and in terms of that they're the worst.

I'll give them some credit, but not much!

In terms of efficiency and points accumulation, they probably are, you're spot on. But football's about romance, and in terms of that they're the worst.

I'll give them some credit, but not much!

I agree with that view. I am sure Benitez would love that Chelsea were more cavalier and romantic though ;).

You know what I like about Rafa?

The fact he makes no excuses about Chelsea being better than everyone, unlike Slur, who has trotted out that excuse today. Rafa gets on with the job weighing up the opposition and thinking about ways of making his team better. That, imo, is indicative of a man who is confident in his own work and why shouldn't he be, afterall he has won two league titles, a UEFA Cup and the Champions League in the last four seasons? Chelsea really don't arse me; I know they are better than us at the moment but I am beginning to form a belief in Rafa that I haven't had in any other manager since, well, forever, because I was only 11/12 when KD left.

Lets not get carried away, I am not sure we're going to win the league, either this season or next, for that matter, but I do have a sense of belief and it seems the players do too. I don't know if this feeling of confidence is actually confidence or it is some sort of deluded optimism but I'm not scared of us having to play anybody. Whether we can maintain the consistency to win the league over the next few seasons is another matter.

Playing consistently over 38 games in such a tough, physically competetive league isn't an easy thing to do. However, we are quietly amassing a collection of players which, I believe, will be capable of doing just that. We can and will challenge for the league in the near future.

I was getting a bit worried at the beginning of the season, wondering how things were going to change. Even as close as Villa away. It's amazing how, with a bit of luck how , things can change - not that our current run was lucky but it did start with a dubious pen. Whatever was the most depressing season of our last few league campaigns, I don't know, but so far, it isn't this one.

that's the one. still pisses me off. was at a mate's wedding that day and had to give a best man speech, but all I kept thinking was 'kevin lisbie...brief pause...KEVIN FUCKING LISBIE?' horrible, horrible day. apart from my mate's wedding of course, which was I'd say: average.