You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

James Blunt

cochcaer

I recall litening to his stuff before he broke and being quite blase about his his sound but after weeks of being battered by You're Beautiful it does tend to have the same annoyance levels as Bryan Adams Everything I Do....

It's wanking material for Q readers tho..

• 9 years later...

Christ Monty. 

Anyway, down to business:

James Blunt attacks ‘classist gimp’ Chris Bryant over diversity comments

Chris-Bryant-and-James-Bl-012.jpg

Singer James Blunt has accused shadow culture minister Chris Bryant of being a “classist gimp” after the politician cited him as one of the performers from a privileged background dominating the arts.

The 40-year-old Brit award-winning artist has written a letter arguing that his private education and background worked against his success in the British music industry, where he was thought to be “too posh” and received a request to modify his accent.

He argues that it is Bryant’s “populist, envy-based, vote-hunting ideas which make our country crap, far more than me and my shit songs, and my plummy accent”.

Blunt delivered his response after Bryant gave an interview to the Guardian saying he believed the arts world should provide more opportunities for people from a diverse range of backgrounds.

“I am delighted that Eddie Redmayne won [a Golden Globe for best actor], but we can’t just have a culture dominated by Eddie Redmayne and James Blunt and their ilk,” he said. “Where are the Albert Finneys and the Glenda Jacksons? They came through a meritocratic system. But it wasn’t just that. It was also that the writers were writing stuff for them.

“So is the BBC, ITV, Channel 4, doing that kind of gritty drama, which reflects [the country] more? We can’t just have Downton programming ad infinitum and think that just because we’ve got some people in the servants’ hall, somehow or other we’ve done our duty by gritty drama.”

Blunt, who attended Harrow school in west London, initially joked on Twitter about the idea that he was dominating the arts, saying: “Really? I thought we’d got rid of me years ago.”

He then fired off a letter that begins: “Dear Chris Bryant MP, You classist gimp. I happened to go to a boarding school. No one helped me at boarding school to get into the music business.”

He makes the case that his public school gave him a head-start by teaching him to aim high. “Perhaps it protected me from your kind of narrow-minded, self-defeating, lead-us-to-a-dead-end, remove-the-‘G’-from-‘GB’ thinking, which is to look at others’ success and say: ‘It’s not fair’,” he added.

After seeing the letter, Bryant suggested Blunt should “stop being so blooming precious”. He is understood to be drafting a reply.

The Labour politician is not the only person to have called on the arts world to do more to increase diversity in recent months. The actor David Morrissey has said young working-class people are being priced out of the profession and argued that the creative industries should do more to end their “economic exclusion”.

“Television is doing very well for itself, but the trickle-down effect isn’t working,” he told the new issue of the Radio Times. “We’re creating an intern culture – it’s happening in journalism and politics as well – and we have to be very careful because the fight is not going to be there for people from more disadvantaged backgrounds.”

Actor Dame Judi Dench has also said financial barriers to training have made the profession more elitist.

Bryant is spot on. There's a particular class of people that absolutely dominate the media, crestive industries and the arts now and they're fucking everywhere, and it's because people from poorer backgrounds can't afford to do those things unpaid for long.

Journalism has got more privately educated people at the top now since the 60s, because it's so low paid at the bottom that the only way you can hang in is if you're being subsidised.

I imagine it's the same with acting, it's easier to still live in London and go for audition after audition if you've got other means of suport and income.

The expansion of internships will lead to the same problem, you'll only be able to get into a big media firm or law firm by doing unpaid work for months if not years, and the working class simply can't do that.

My Mrs's cousin is in high end PR in London and she's like a caricature of these people. She name drops famous people she's met in work all the time, says she's done 'the London thing' and wants to live in California, asked me if Speke was 'like Shameless' and looks at ordinary stuff (I.e cow's milk) the way Captain Kirk would look at a Robin Reliant. The beeb is fucking full of people like her too.

Wish they'd build a new city down south for all the cunts and call it Milton Twat, let them hang around their juice bars chatting about how they saw Paul McCartney at the airport once, and we can laugh as they attempt to put their own fires out with soy milk and copies of the big issue.

• Upvote 15

he is a fucking cock knocker

Don't mind him to be honest. And don't really think he's a good example of what this minister means by posh people dominating the arts, from what I've heard he's paid his dues.

But when you look at, for example, the behind the scenes stuff on Game of Thrones, a lot of the actors, especially the child actors, are very much to the manor born.

I think that class of people have a wholly different expectation of what they can achieve in life and, crucially, so do their parents.

From my own experience, working class people who make it into decent media jobs have the Alice in Wonderland hue about them, like they can't really believe it happened, while the middle class ones sometimes act like not only was it expected, but was their right, and have often already got their eye on bigger and better things.

Your average radio station now basically consists of a posh twat DJ interviewing a posh twat singer. Bland, beige, third class degree at the University of Life accentless androids.

• Upvote 1

jame blunts sister couldn't get to some shitty appointment so blunt went online and asked somebody ... pray anybody with a helicopter if they could take her and somebody did and she ended up marrying him. A helicopter, the fucker notion actually entered his head and seemed like a realistic solution and it actually was for him. He can go fuck himself.

• Upvote 1

Don't mind him to be honest. And don't really think he's a good example of what this minister means by posh people dominating the arts, from what I've heard he's paid his dues.

But when you look at, for example, the behind the scenes stuff on Game of Thrones, a lot of the actors, especially the child actors, are very much to the manor born.

I think that class of people have a wholly different expectation of what they can achieve in life and, crucially, so do their parents.

From my own experience, working class people who make it into decent media jobs have the Alice in Wonderland hue about them, like they can't really believe it happened, while the middle class ones sometimes act like not only was it expected, but was their right, and have often already got their eye on bigger and better things.

Your average radio station now basically consists of a posh twat DJ interviewing a posh twat singer. Bland, beige, third class degree at the University of Life accentless androids.

That's true, Rose Leslie who played Ygritte in Game of Thrones had a Northern accent and all that. Turns out...

Leslie was born in Aberdeen, Scotland[1] and raised at Lickleyhead Castle in Aberdeenshire, her family's 15th-century ancestral seat.[2] Her father is Sebastian Arbuthnot-Leslie, the Aberdeenshire Chieftain of Clan Leslie, and her mother is Candida Mary Sibyl "Candy" Leslie (née Weld), great-granddaughter of Simon Fraser, 13th Lord Lovat (a descendant of Charles II). [2] Her parents own the 12th-century Warthill Castle in Aberdeenshire.

The fuck?

Dear Chris Bryant MP,

You classist gimp. I happened to go to a boarding school. No one helped me at boarding school to get into the music business. I bought my first guitar with money I saved from holiday jobs (sandwich packing!). I was taught the only four chords I know by a friend. No one at school had ANY knowledge or contacts in the music business, and I was expected to become a soldier or a lawyer or perhaps a stockbroker. So alien was it, that people laughed at the idea of me going into the music business, and certainly no one was of any use.

In the army, again, people thought it was a mad idea. None of them knew anyone in the business either.

And when I left the army, going against everyone’s advice, EVERYONE I met in the British music industry told me there was no way it would work for me because I was too posh. One record company even asked if I could speak in a different accent. (I told them I could try Russian).

Every step of the way, my background has been AGAINST me succeeding in the music business. And when I have managed to break through, I was STILL scoffed at for being too posh for the industry.

And then you come along, looking for votes, telling working class people that posh people like me don’t deserve it, and that we must redress the balance. But it is your populist, envy-based, vote-hunting ideas which make our country crap, far more than me and my shit songs, and my plummy accent.

I got signed in America, where they don’t give a stuff about, or even understand what you mean by me and “my ilk”, you prejudiced wazzock, and I worked my arse off. What you teach is the politics of jealousy. Rather than celebrating success and figuring out how we can all exploit it further as the Americans do, you instead talk about how we can hobble that success and “level the playing field”. Perhaps what you’ve failed to realise is that the only head-start my school gave me in the music business, where the VAST majority of people are NOT from boarding school, is to tell me that I should aim high. Perhaps it protected me from your kind of narrow-minded, self-defeating, lead-us-to-a-dead-end, remove-the-‘G’-from-‘GB’ thinking, which is to look at others’ success and say, “it’s not fair.”

Up yours,

James Cucking Funt

Didn't Blunt used to drive a tank in the army or something out in Afghanistan prior to getting into the music business?

Kosovo I believe it was. He's always come accross as quite grounded to me. He's well aware of his cultural status in some people's eyes and quite happily flicks them the 'V's. Guy can't help being posh and neither should he apologise for it.

He stopped World War 3 from breaking out.

Balkans wasn't it?

Kosovo.  Strictly speaking it was Mike Jackson who prevented WW3 by refusing an order from his American counterpart; however it was Blunt's unit that were ordered to act.  Blunt wasn't up for it and communicated that to Jackson, who in turn told the Septics to go spin.

(I was reading about this the other week as it happens.)

Describing Blunt as a 'tank driver' is a bit of a stretch though, he was a captain in the life guards.

Didn't Blunt used to drive a tank in the army or something out in Afghanistan prior to getting into the music business?

With a home-recorded version of 'You're Beautiful' blaring out on repeat.

If everyone else in the tank hadn't killed themselves it would have been a genius move.

With a home-recorded version of 'You're Beautiful' blaring out on repeat.

If everyone else in the tank hadn't killed themselves it would have been a genius move.

Pretty sure that's against the Geneva Convention, it would have been kinder to just gas them.