You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Essien and SWP

Rashid

I disagree, the likes of SWP turned down his dad's club Arsenal to take the money at Chelsea, Damien Duff had many admirors, but he folded after 10 mins of contract talks with Roman.

I dont remember anything about SWP turning down Arsenal. Oh he was linked with Arsenal in a newspaper, I get it.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree, the likes of SWP turned down his dad's club Arsenal to take the money at Chelsea, Damien Duff had many admirors, but he folded after 10 mins of contract talks with Roman.

Erm, isn't that what I said??

"99% of young, more unproven players know almost full well that they’ll never get a look in but wil be paid twice what they will at other clubs. "

Tom Ross - four minutes ago.

Did Arsenal make a £20m bid for SWP also? Did SWP have a choice between Arsenal and Chelsea? I don't think so.

I bet you'd go and work for him. All he'd have to do is throw in unlimited internet access and the chance to smell Mourinho's hair once a week and you'd be signing off and spending your mornings cleaning out the jacuzzi in the Stamford Bridge changing rooms.

Relative to their price YES.

SWP has gone missing in every big game I have seen him, and Essien froze at Old Trafford against Alan Fucking Smith.

I don't particularly rate Alan Smith but he did what nobody in our side did in the league game, he competed and challenged Chelsea physically and it worked for him in the first half especially. You've got to give him credit for that

I dont remember anything about SWP turning down Arsenal. Oh he was linked with Arsenal in a newspaper, I get it.

Arsene Wenger confirmed his interest live on TVm but said if Chelsea enter the bidding he will lose, but said he hoped if Man City wanted to sell, SWP would sway it. He didn't.

Arsene Wenger confirmed his interest live on TVm but said if Chelsea enter the bidding he will lose, but said he hoped if Man City wanted to sell, SWP would sway it. He didn't.

Interest, exactly. Not a bid, so there was nothing for Wright Phillips to turn down. This is why people get annoyed with you, you'll make anything up to suit your argument.

Well in that case, is Owen a mercenary cunt as well then for going to Newcastle?

Well in that case, is Owen a mercenary cunt as well then for going to Newcastle?

How? He wanted to go to Liverpool on less money and publically stated his desire.

As for Damien Duff, he could have waited for Liverpool or Man United who would have eventually bought him. Instead he went down South (which he didn't really want to do at the time) but the pound signs were too great. Granted Chelsea offered something big but its not as if he had nowhere else to go. He could have taken a leaf out of Harry Kewell's book and turned down big money at Chelsea. ;)

How? He wanted to go to Liverpool on less money and publically stated his desire.

As for Damien Duff, he could have waited for Liverpool or Man United who would have eventually bought him. Instead he went down South (which he didn't really want to do at the time) but the pound signs were too great. Granted Chelsea offered something big but its not as if he had nowhere else to go. He could have taken a leaf out of Harry Kewell's book and turned down big money at Chelsea. ;)

Leeds received a bid for Kewell though from Chelsea. Massive difference you twonk.

So Duff just waits in the hope somebody will bid? Years and years go past and still no bid. He retires "Ah well, no one bidded" Yep it really works like that

Leeds received a bid for Kewell though from Chelsea. Massive difference you twonk.

Kewell turned down Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United to sign for us. I agree nobody else bid for Damien Duff, but that is not my point. At the time he went to Chelsea he was happy at Blackburn and about to go to USA on pre-season - only 1 year after signing a new 5 year contract. He had time on his hands, he was about 24 and he knew Liverpool and Man United had a long term interest, oneof which he supported as a boy.

He moved to Chelsea at the first opportunity, this after signing a new contract knowing full well Liverpool wanted him and that by signing and accepting a huge release clause he would make it difficult for us to buy him in the future.

Duff, however, wanted the best possible deal for his club. Owen didn;t exactly help us there, did he.

Duff, however, wanted the best possible deal for his club. Owen didn;t exactly help us there, did he.

I agree that Duff helped Blackburn brilliantly with the £17M release clause, totally different to Owen. But by going to Owen he made shed loads of money himself.

Kewell turned down Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United to sign for us. I agree nobody else bid for Damien Duff, but that is not my point. At the time he went to Chelsea he was happy at Blackburn and about to go to USA on pre-season - only 1 year after signing a new 5 year contract. He had time on his hands, he was about 24 and he knew Liverpool and Man United had a long term interest, oneof which he supported as a boy.

He moved to Chelsea at the first opportunity, this after signing a new contract knowing full well Liverpool wanted him and that by signing and accepting a huge release clause he would make it difficult for us to buy him in the future.

Please take this advice, Rash. Give up posting on this thread, you're in a massive hole with this.

You're thick, that's the only conclusion I can come to.

How can you plan for a situation that might not ever materialise? Duff signed that contract out of loyalty to Blackburn for nurturing him, so that they would be guaranteed a big transfer fee if he left. Yet you call him a mercenary cunt - unbelievable.

Say you worked in marketing and knew Liverpool were interested in your services but another top flight club came in with an offer, are you seriously saying you'd sit in your same job (being payed far less by the way) in the hope that Liverpool would come calling? Would you fuck.

How can you plan for a situation that might not ever materialise? Duff signed that contract out of loyalty to Blackburn for nurturing him, so that they would be guaranteed a big transfer fee if he left. Yet you call him a mercenary cunt - unbelievable.

Say you worked in marketing and knew Liverpool were interested in your services but another top flight club came in with an offer, are you seriously saying you'd sit in your same job (being payed far less by the way) in the hope that Liverpool would come calling? Would you fuck.

Ian, would Duff sign for Chelsea if Roman wasn't there?

Nail, head. I'd love see Chelsea offer Rashid a job doing whatever the fuck it is he does and him turn them down. Subsidised travelcard down from St Albans, free entrance to Carling Cup games, Bob's your uncle.

Everyone has opinions, if Chelsea were under Bates and had offered Blackburn that money, I very much doubt Duff would have signed for Chelsea. The obscene money at Chelsea is why he went there. He probably loves Chelsea now but he didn't then, I thought he supported a North West Club?

Nail, head. I'd love see Chelsea offer Rashid a job doing whatever the fuck it is he does and him turn them down. Subsidised travelcard down from St Albans, free entrance to Carling Cup games, Bob's your uncle.

No chance, I have turned down jobs offering me more money before. I have refused a job at Whitbread for a lot of money because I don't drink alcohal due to religious reasons. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Everyone has opinions, if Chelsea were under Bates and had offered Blackburn that money, I very much doubt Duff would have signed for Chelsea. The obscene money at Chelsea is why he went there. He probably loves Chelsea now but he didn't then, I thought he supported a North West Club?

Alonso wouldnt of loved Liverpool before he come here, nor Garcia what exactly is your point? You've got yourself into a massive hole here and are desperately trying to get out of it.

Alonso wouldnt of loved Liverpool before he come here, nor Garcia what exactly is your point? You've got yourself into a massive hole here and are desperately trying to get out of it.

I thought Alonso turned down Real Madrid? As did Rafa Benitez himself? Neither came here for the money.