You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Essien and SWP

Rashid

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Relative to their price YES.

SWP has gone missing in every big game I have seen him, and Essien froze at Old Trafford against Alan Fucking Smith.

Don't you understand, the price, when it comes to Chelsea, doesn't matter a jot.

Price is only a factor when it is a consequence. Chelsea can spend without ever having to pay the piper, such is their wealth. No club has ever had that power.

They are both quality players.

GH was monitoring Essien and he almost bought him for £4m in 2003. But Essien was under 18 and because of that he wouldn’t get a French passport, GH then would have to lend him out for the next season.

The deal was never made because they needed players for the first team and couldn’t afford to buy players and then let them out again on trial.

Sources: Liverpool Daily Post and liverpool.no

sometimes it seems like we almost bought every player in the world. Only one missing is Ronaldinho ?

Remember his cheating in Monaco? He is a despicable cunt.

Like Harry Kewell at Yoevil?

Oh Rash, will you never learn? This is the quintessential Rashid post: spend literally months going on and on and on about something (the board finding £20m for SWP) as if it's the only issue that will save Liverpool (the European Champions) from oblivion, before completely switching to the polar opposite view (SWP is shit) after about twenty minutes (less than 20 appearances, virtually none of which were as a starter or for the full 90 mins).

Perfect summary.

Both excellent players but Chelsea paid a little over the odds for both - whats new there?

Remember his cheating in Monaco? He is a despicable cunt.

Like Harry Kewell at Yoevil?

Oh Rash, will you never learn? This is the quintessential Rashid post: spend literally months going on and on and on about something (the board finding £20m for SWP) as if it's the only issue that will save Liverpool (the European Champions) from oblivion, before completely switching to the polar opposite view (SWP is shit) after about twenty minutes (less than 20 appearances, virtually none of which were as a starter or for the full 90 mins).

Perfect summary.

Both excellent players but Chelsea paid a little over the odds for both - whats new there?

Essien is class.

SWP is class.

Both young.

Unfortunately now very easy to hate as they joined the rich tarts.

Rashid get a life. I'm sure you're paid by Dave to just wind people up. You must be. Surely. There cant be any belief in your statements. There cant be. Can there?

Buy him. Didnt buy him. He's shit! Buy the next player.

Summary: I wan' that one.

SWP would improve our team. Essien is ahead of Sissoko too (though it's to Rafa's credit that Sissoko is not that far behind, and at a quarter of the price). I'd have both players at Anfield if we could.

The price Chelsea paid is immaterial, given money really is no object to them. Wenger had it right when he said something along the lines of there being the Chelsea price and then the price for everyone else.

I think Essien will do fine for Chelsea and he's already getting plenty of playing time. SWP might be another story altogether, though it's far too early to tell. My gut feeling is that his career has stalled, and he may not develop into the player he was threatening to become. I think he'd have been good for us but it wasn't to be. Perhaps in the long run Chelsea might miss out on some signings because of the experiences of the likes of SWP. Maybe in the next generation someone like Theo Walcott might come to us rather than Chelsea.

Maybe in the next generation someone like Theo Walcott might come to us rather than Chelsea.

Depends whether a player is looking to play football or earn a shitload of cash. i honestly think taht any young pklayer signing for Chelsea falls in to the latter category.

Salif essien is not all the media is making him out IMO. He is playing for the best team, so his obvious flaws are not easily apparent. Very very over-rated i reckon.

According to Joe (Special Needs) Cole - he is the best midfielder in Europe.

No mate, ANY player falls into that catergory. Name me a Chelsea player signed after Ambromovich came that DIDN'T Go there for the money.

That's not true rashid, as much as I'd like it to be.

The very best, world class players will fancy their chances at any club and will want to be a part of what is happening at Chelsea, wheras 99% of young, more unproven players know almost full well that they’ll never get a look in but wil be paid twice what they will at other clubs.

As much you’d like to think that ALL players who play for Chelsea are merely disgusting mercenaries, I’m afraid it’s just not true.

The very best, world class players will fancy their chances at any club and will want to be a part of what is happening at Chelsea, wheras 99% of young, more unproven players know almost full well that they’ll never get a look in but wil be paid twice what they will at other clubs.

As much you’d like to think that ALL players who play for Chelsea are merely disgusting mercenaries, I’m afraid it’s just not true.

Lets look at it another way, how many would be there today if Chelsea were still paying good money, but still under Bates circa 2003?

I can think of a few, but I certainly don't think the likes of SWP, Duff, Essien, etc would be there today without Roman. Also none of their clubs wanted to sell them, they wanted the move.

What's happened to you? You've gone soft. I feel like I don't even know you anymore :-(

Lets look at it another way, how many would be there today if Chelsea were still paying good money, but still under Bates circa 2003?

Maybe that's because they wouldn't have been able to afford to pay the very best salaries for the very best player players before Roman came to town? D'uh.

That doesn't make every player who plays for them a money-grabbing cunt.

Maybe that's because they wouldn't have been able to afford to pay the very best salaries for the very best player players before Roman came to town? D'uh.

That doesn't make every player who plays for them a money-grabbing cunt.

I disagree, the likes of SWP turned down his dad's club Arsenal to take the money at Chelsea, Damien Duff had many admirors, but he folded after 10 mins of contract talks with Roman.