You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Celtic/Rangers in England

Guest Gazmo25

Celtic/Rangers. Premiership or not?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Celtic/Rangers. Premiership or not?

• Yes - Would create a lot of interest, big clubs, can only be good for the league
    • No - They are Scottish clubs, would they do anything down here anyway?

Guest Gazmo25

Just wondering what people think about this, just been an interview on Radio 5 and Strachan has been banging the drum about Celtic and Rangers playing in the Premiership on the basis that they would breathe 'fresh life' into a league that is going stale due to 'the dominance of Chelsea'. I've always been against this and always will be. At the end of the day they are clubs from a different country and if something like this got the ok then where would it end? Would Anderlecht end up in France because the Belgian league is shite? What about Benfica, Porto and Sporting? Would they want to go to Spain? And surely they would then just start a European league anyway? I've always enjoyed it when Celtic have come down here in European games but it just wouldn't be the same in the league. I know that it would create a lot of interest and that money talks but I just think it would be wrong on so many levels.

Strachan has been banging the drum about Celtic and Rangers playing in the Premiership on the basis that they would breathe 'fresh life' into a league that is going stale due to 'the dominance of Chelsea'.

And Rangers/Celtic would be the ones to break that dominance ay Strach!!!!!

They could send Stillian Petrov to England if they wanted to though.

Just don't think it would work.

However I would be in favour of spicing up the Carling Cup by having an Anglo Scottish Cup competition. Think it would help to put the Old Firm for the Premiership argument into some context. Give 'em a chance to see how they fare against a cross section of English clubs.

Just don't think it would work.

However I would be in favour of spicing up the Carling Cup by having an Anglo Scottish Cup competition. Think it would help to put the Old Firm for the Premiership argument into some context. Give 'em a chance to see how they fare against a cross section of English clubs.

Not a bad idea.

What the Glasgow clubs would get out of it is obvious, but I don't see how the average English fan is going to benefit - unless away ends full of sectarian wankstains and the chance to get re-aquainted with John Hartson and Francis Jeffers counts as a benefit.

Jeez, imagine Millwall/Burnley/Portsmouth/Stoke vs. Celtic or Man Utd vs. Rangers...

It'd be a stupid idea. I'd guess the entire fixture system would have to be redeveloped as I don't see how you could ask any clubs from the South, and their fans, to have to travel that far on what could be a weekly basis at certain times.

Might have to make it like the american sports where they play a series of home games and then go on tour, as it were.

one fuckin word about scottish football

ART FUCKIN MEDIA.

Turned over by a fuckin uni course.

we've spent bloody years drivin racism and all the other shite out of the game why would we want two sides who spend half their lives slating each other. If they want in get in at the bottom and work up.

Heard the Strachan interview and it was utterly delusional. I think both Celtic and Rangers would struggle to get to mid-table with their current squads. Can't see why having two more mediocre sides, albeit with bigger home gates than many of the other mediocre sides, would make the Premier League 'more entertataining'.

He also said that almost everybody in England, managers, players, fans etc want Celtic & Rangers in the Premiership. Err, just exactly where is the evidence for this exactly? If we're opening up the Prem League to foreign northern European teams, I'll have Ajax and Hertha Berlin, please, as the away trips would be cracking.

The only people who really want them here are celtic and rangers. They're the only ones who'd benefit anyway.

Don't think I've ever met anyone who wants them here, a few people are impartial, but I've never met anyone who was dead keen on the idea.

Far too many questions and not enough answers on this one. Which league should they start in? What if they got relegated? What if they found it too tough and wanted to go back to Scotland because they couldn't get champions league football? What would happen to the Scottish league? And why don't we just create a European superleague for the 20 richest clubs to compete in?

The idea of an Anglo/Scottish cup is a good one. Could have a north and south cup until the later rounds to save the likes of Torquay having to travel up to Aberdeen and vice versa. Although then the scottish teams would only be playing teams from t'north.

Nah, I know there are some welsh exceptions in the english lesague, but there is a supposedly "strong" FIFA recognised scottish league for them, it would be nothing more than a short term publicity stunt, and anyway to get in our league they would have to start at the very bottom, we had to do that for euro cup and we had the bloody thing!

As for the joint cup competition, I follow Liverpool FC not a country, so no, not really interested in that. European footy can satisfy that itch.

What pisses me off is the way the media assumes they'll go straight in the Prem. If they want in, then they have to earn it, and that means starting at the bottom. We had to work our way up from 1892, likewise AFC Wimbledon have to do it now.

They don't like it, tough shit, they can stay where they are.