You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

deer hunter

Satdee night, PB, Tom R, Smithy and JB in da house - I love it. Nice article on the other side there Tom. Disagree like, but points are well made and passionately done. We shall hope yer right mate.

Fancy a shag?

[%sig%]

• 6 years later...

I love the first half of that film. It brilliantly builds the characters, their backgrounds and their relationships without one another. It's the perfect prologue for the magic that follows.

The subtly of the first hour, and the realism of it is fucking amazing it's own right. It's like reading a really good book.

I have Deer Hunter as arguably the finest film ever made. Certainly of the best, without question.

It's teh depth of characters that amazes me most. By the end of it you actually feel as if you knew the men in the movie. That's very rare in a film.

I fucking love it. reckon I've seen it at least 50 times.

• Upvote 2

I love the first half of that film. It brilliantly builds the characters, their backgrounds and their relationships without one another. It's the perfect prologue for the magic that follows.

The subtly of the first hour, and the realism of it is fucking amazing it's own right. It's like reading a really good book.

I have Deer Hunter as arguably the finest film ever made. Certainly of the best, without question.

It's teh depth of characters that amazes me most. By the end of it you actually feel as if you knew the men in the movie. That's very rare in a film.

I fucking love it. reckon I've seen it at least 50 times.

agree wholeheartedly

i always end up thinking i'm mikey and it always kills me when de niro is shouting at me at the end

I love the first half of it, but the depiction of the Vietnamese as backward, bloodthirsty savages in the second half taints the movie.

John Cazale was terminally ill during filming.

He only ever acted in five movies, but what a fucking list:

The Godfather

The Conversation

The Godfather: Part II

Dog Day Afternoon

The Deer Hunter

I love the first half of it, but the depiction of the Vietnamese as backward, bloodthirsty savages in the second half taints the movie.

John Cazale was terminally ill during filming.

He only ever acted in five movies, but what a fucking list:

The Godfather

The Conversation

The Godfather: Part II

Dog Day Afternoon

The Deer Hunter

I didn't know that. He does look ill in the Deer Hunter to be fair.

i had no idea.

What a fucking career though. Talk about short and sweet!

• 6 years later...

Has anyone seen Heaven's Gate?

Always wanted to see it but have never got round to it.

Deer Hunter is in my top 10 films of all time, I think it's a masterpiece.

I think the 2012 directors cut of Heaven's Gate is flawed, but fascinating. The original theatrical cut is just a mess. The failure of Heaven's Gate basically switched the lights off at United Artists.

If there's a Fopp near you, they were selling the DVD of Heaven's Gate for £3. It has both cuts.

• Upvote 1

I think the 2012 directors cut of Heaven's Gate is flawed, but fascinating. The original theatrical cut is just a mess. The failure of Heaven's Gate basically switched the lights off at United Artists.

If there's a Fopp near you, they were selling the DVD of Heaven's Gate for £3. It has both cuts.

Cheers, I'll check Fopp out then.