You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfer comments from Rafa

Rashid

"We have three or four months to get through. In January we need to reinforce the squad," he said. "We were thinking about a right winger and centre half, everyone knows that, but when people say we left it until the last minute, that's not true.

"We worked all summer. We never wanted to pay more for a player than his value. We didn't want to sign play-ers we didn't need.

"We tried, but because of circumstances, the clubs wouldn't sell. If a club is willing to sell without a fight, maybe the player isn't good enough. When the club tries hard to keep him, you know you're trying to sign someone of high class.

"Simao is an example, as is Milito and Figo. We watched Simao for a long time, but we were looking at others first because we didn't know if he was available. We decided to try and Benfica said yes. We thought we had control of the situation. Then they changed their mind.

"We also tried to sign centre-backs, but their clubs said no. Clubs think because we've won the Champions League we've got a lot of money. They put a £7m values on players who are no more than prospects.

"If you look at our squad now compared to last May, we've signed very good players and improved. We couldn't find the right players for the right and at centre-half, but because we're European champions, only certain players are good enough to play for us.

"If people want me to buy players to finish in the middle of the table, I can, but I want to win trophies. I will only buy players to do this.

"I have a lot of confidence we will have a better team this year. People may not agree with my decisions, but when I spend a lot of money I want it to be on one of the best players in the world."

I have to say that buying Crouch, Zenden, and trying for Stelios and Solano would suggest otherwise. We quite clearly were not going for the top drawer players IMO except for Simao. I can't wait till January tough. I think Rafa will buy big with a vengeance. The last sentence suggests he will buy big one of these days.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on! Zenden was always being bought to strnegthen the squad, and he is a lot better than what went out, and Crouch will add a different dimension to our attack - thus they have both added to our strength and quality.

Stelios and Solano would have only been temporary fillers but of a decent quality

Does he have to spend big to mean they are good?

Rashid you sound like everything i despise in football. A sky loving football bandwagon jumping gobshite who wouldnt look out of place at chelsea because they are "the biggest and best as they spend loads".

Look at our big buys?

Heskey - didnt live up to it - fraud

collymore - ultimately flopped despite promising fowler partnership

diouf - less said the better

cisse - jury very very much out

There is only really alonso at 10mil who looks to be a success so far.

So should we go spend 20 million on unproven joaquin because it looks good? or because he is genuinely a great player (for which we cant say if he would do it in england let alone spain?) .

I have previously defended you Rashid, but this "spend big" bollocks is starting to bore now.

Rashid constantly has a go at LFC and Rafa for not going out and spending 20+ on one player. That's what I am getting at.

A nonsense, buying good players is what it is about and you usually get that by spending money. Rafa has spent money on Alonso and Garcia and got his reward. I want players who will improve the team, I don’t think Zenden is that much better than Kewell or Riise. I don’t think Crouch is better than Baros or say Michael who we would have had the money for otherwise. I don’t care how much they cost so long as they are top quality. Davids was free for Spurs but he is quality. But as with most things in life you get what you pay for, and if we pay out decent sums we will get decent players. As Rafa said people just don’t let good players leave especially for cheap.

Does he have to spend big to mean they are good?

Rashid you sound like everything i despise in football. A sky loving football bandwagon jumping gobshite who wouldnt look out of place at chelsea because they are "the biggest and best as they spend loads".

Look at our big buys?

Heskey - didnt live up to it - fraud

collymore - ultimately flopped despite promising fowler partnership

diouf - less said the better

cisse - jury very very much out

There is only really alonso at 10mil who looks to be a success so far.

So should we go spend 20 million on unproven joaquin because it looks good? or because he is genuinely a great player (for which we cant say if he would do it in england let alone spain?) .

I have previously defended you Rashid, but this "spend big" bollocks is starting to bore now.

Hear hear. No doubt he'll be supporting the said players once they score. Toys . . pram . . .

A nonsense, buying good players is what it is about and you usually get that by spending money. Rafa has spent money on Alonso and Garcia and got his reward. I want players who will improve the team, I don’t think Zenden is that much better than Kewell or Riise. I don’t think Crouch is better than Baros or say Michael who we would have had the money for otherwise. I don’t care how much they cost so long as they are top quality. Davids was free for Spurs but he is quality. But as with most things in life you get what you pay for, and if we pay out decent sums we will get decent players. As Rafa said people just don’t let good players leave especially for cheap.

better than Kewell? We also need players to be on the pitch not only in the medical room....but the left side of the midfield is also more natural for Garcia if he is up to feed Crouch/Nando...

By the way...Davids was def not for free....you have to take a look at the whole package....

Buying in January har one problem - most "top" players isn`t available for the CL since they either have played there or in the UEFA-cup.

Never any doubt as to who was controlling the transfers was their?

Parry and Moores never got in the way of a Houllier signing (apart from towards the end allegedly) so their was nothing to indicate they would do that this time.

According to Robbie Fowler Roy Evans wasn't quite as lucky though (although Robinso was cheif exec then)

I have to say that buying Crouch, Zenden, and trying for Stelios and Solano would suggest otherwise. We quite clearly were not going for the top drawer players IMO except for Simao. I can't wait till January tough. I think Rafa will buy big with a vengeance. The last sentence suggests he will buy big one of these days.

YAWN ! FFS Rash. WE've don ethis to death. Get behind em for Spurs, cos its all we can do now, agree with him or not.

Never any doubt as to who was controlling the transfers was their?

Not in my mind but there have been loads of posts on this and other forums about Board and Parry interference/lack of backing/sofas and lamps/Rafa disillusioned/just like at Valencia etc. etc.

Interesting comments from Rafa which support the view that he was the one dictating the transfer policy this summer.

This is what i have been saying, and have been argued with on other forums. Only Rafa decides what players he wants, and only Rafa can say how much the players are worth. Parry cannot go throwing more money at clubs in an effort to get them to sell. That is over ruling Rafas opinion of a player and his worth. Parry has not scouted the players and probably doesnt know that much about them. Hes not going to agree to pay an extra £5m, or even more in Owens case, if Rafa doesnt rate them at that price.

This is what i have been saying, and have been argued with on other forums. Only Rafa decides what players he wants, and only Rafa can say how much the players are worth. Parry cannot go throwing more money at clubs in an effort to get them to sell. That is over ruling Rafas opinion of a player and his worth. Parry has not scouted the players and probably doesnt know that much about them. Hes not going to agree to pay an extra £5m, or even more in Owens case, if Rafa doesnt rate them at that price.

Which is precisely the way it should be. I reckon when January comes around we'll see Simao and perhaps that Uruguay centre-half in Liverpool red.

Great Stuff Rafa,

I'll be there at Betis and Spurs to cheer the Rafalution forward and hopefully both Chelsea games.

I beefed about the performance off the pitch after transfer deadline day but nows the time to get right behind the team and Rafa and lets hope the team can be in a position to challenge come January

"

" We watched Simao for a long time, but we were looking at others first because we didn't know if he was available. We decided to try and Benfica said yes. We thought we had control of the situation. Then they changed their mind." -Rafa

An incredible statement to make. If we were interested why didn't we make a bid? If anybody still needed convincing that we screwed up then this is all the evidence required.

An incredible statement to make. If we were interested why didn't we make a bid? If anybody still needed convincing that we screwed up then this is all the evidence required.

What he should have said is:

"Players like Simao were expensive so the club wanted to try cheap options like Solano, Stelios and Figo first as we are skint. When that failed, we went for our main target Simao whom we thought we had but they played silly buggers and in the end we had no time to sort things out"

Have not paid much attention to the thread but i like the fact that we are buying cheap and plenty. The idea of bringing in 5-6 "starlets" every year for a cheap overall price is quite a good idea. Let these promising youngsters fight it out to be the next JC or SG, all the while being introduced to what it is like to be a red. I would hate to see 'flavors of the month' brought in only to fail like Veron or Forlan. Quantity first and then cheap quality when we can(Alonso, Sissoko)

All this proves to me is we have a manager who is prudent and knows what he is doing. He knows clubs are trying to take us for a ride because we won the European cup, chances are if we hadnt won it (but came 4th) we would have seen simao et al here already, but because we won the cup we have big dosh right?

Anyone who doesnt see that really need to look at the big picture once in a while and realise that our current set up, unlike previous regimes are not going to be taken for mugs in any way.

Owen was stalling, rafa shipped out immediately, Gerrard, well we got him to sign a new contract despite some outside influences and mixed messages. Transfers, we got players at the price WE want to pay that is the fundamentals of buying in any business, you pay over inflated prices and it is a big gamble which wont necessarily pay off (see Leeds) - Let people like Newcastle pay 6m over the odds to "shoe people they are big" they havent got the manager or infrastructure to compete where they need to be to sustain it, let them sign players who clearly are signing because they are desperate for a world cup place, who have get out clauses allowing them to lose up to 7m on the transfer the next year.

If we had things like that happening at Liverpool the majority of supporters would see through it as a sham and not stand for it, unless they are the sort that are wanting 20m signings evrey year as if we have some sort of billionaire owner.

Things are going the right way, manager with the balls to stand his ground and a board which will accomodate his wishes. All we *may* need is investment to open up our options in case rafa ever did want to splash 20m+ on any one player