You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we hang fire until thursday....

dave u

They were players we would have got regardless of winning the CL. We had a chance to really make a statement this summer by bringing in top class players to go with what we have. A title challenge wouldn't have even been out of the question had we signed really top players in the positions we needed to strengthen.

Dave, but who exactly are these top class players ?

Figo rejected us, Feyenoord turned down 10m for Kuyt, Miltio rejected us Madrid rejected our offer for Owen.

Who re thes players we could have signed. Im not knocking it, you know more than me mate, but so far Im scratching my head about who exactly these players are that we've missed out on. More so as to who the players are we've missed out on through our own (the clubs) poor management.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the talk of strengthening the squad we've only brought in 4 players who could be considered first teamers in Zenden, Crouch, Reina and Sissoko.

Yet to get the centre back and right winger we've needed for so long. Yet to buy a striker that will help Cisse with the goalscoring duties. Yet to bring in a pacy centre back.

We've not addressed the problems of the past few years at all. This summers transfer dealings have been a shambles.

Yep, Reina Sissoko and Crouch. Terrrible transfer activity......

For a team which was challenging for the title and didn't need too much strengthening, that'd be a decent summers business. For one which finished beneath Everton, miles and miles behind the champions, it's not enough.

The manager has spoken all summer of his need to sign a good right winger and a good centre half. We are a day and a bit away from the window shutting and we still have neither of the players the manager wanted.

Figo rejected us, Feyenoord turned down 10m for Kuyt, Miltio rejected us Madrid rejected our offer for Owen.

Who re thes players we could have signed. Im not knocking it, you know more than me mate, but so far Im scratching my head about who exactly these players are that we've missed out on. More so as to who the players are we've missed out on through our own (the clubs) poor management.

To me it looks like we're taking the wrong approach alltogheter. We're a big club with a solid economy. We shouldn't need to sit around waiting and see who's available, put in a cheeky offer and then move on to the next best thing when we get turned down (Figo->Stelios->Solano, Militio->Ibanez->Upson->Meira). I'd like us to be a bit more decisive and if we dont get the ones we really want (say Figo) we should at least get someone who might be the next big thing (say Routhledge) instead of just pissing about as we have done this summer. I also don't buy this "There are no good players available" argument at all. We have a whole host of scouts employed by the club, surely they should've been able to find one single right sided midfielder better than what we have by now who is actually affordable and willing to join us?

I covered this a lot in another thread but the obvious question is now that we've missed out on Owen will be push the boat out and pay top dollar for a RW and a CB, a bit late i know

The board should have listened to Rafa in the first place

The club cant be blamed over Owen it was the thick Twat actually speaking to newcastle that led to him not joining us, if he had said Liverpool or no one then he would now be a liverpool player.

we need two key players but we may have to wait till jan before they arrive

The manager has spoken all summer of his need to sign a good right winger and a good centre half. We are a day and a bit away from the window shutting and we still have neither of the players the manager wanted.

Took our eye of the ball and started chasing the player many at Monaco were calling for.

I also don't buy this "There are no good players available" argument at all. We have a whole host of scouts employed by the club, surely they should've been able to find one single right sided midfielder better than what we have by now who is actually affordable and willing to join us?

But you've just replied and not put down one player, bar Routledge. And while Id like Routledge to add to the ressies, he surely fits into the, not good enough of a signing category. How can a proven prem player like Zenden be bad, while an unproven talent like Routledge apease your 'we've not signed a top player' desire ? I genunily dont follow. Routledge is not a top player, and i belive we havnt brought any cos there arent many about. Id rather Rafa kept his money and got what he wanted for the right price in Januray than now.

But i ask again, who are these top quality players everyone keeps banging on about, cos there is no way Routledge can be described as that.

But you've just replied and not put down one player, bar Routledge. And while Id like Routledge to add to the ressies, he surely fits into the, not good enough of a signing category. How can a proven prem player like Zenden be bad, while an unproven talent like Routledge apease your 'we've not signed a top player' desire ? I genunily dont follow. Routledge is not a top player, and i belive we havnt brought any cos there arent many about. Id rather Rafa kept his money and got what he wanted for the right price in Januray than now.

But i ask again, who are these top quality players everyone keeps banging on about, cos there is no way Routledge can be described as that.

It's not his job to name players. It is why we employ scouts. Just because we mightn't know of any players doesn't mean they don't exist.

You crack me up - the biggest weather vane in the North West of England.

Care to elaborate? I've been unhappy with the board for a long time. I have made it known since I first started posting here. I remember getting into a long discussion with Stu Monty about it. I think Rafa knows what players he wanted but the board couldn't deliver.

i think to be honest Parry has done himself no favours out of this Owen deal. If he had been like Rafa and not once said we were after Owen then so be it but to come out with a statement like 'yes we are interested wait and see' has made himself and the board look like a shower of shit. I cannot believe after a season where we won the European Cup that most supporters feel so down at the start of the new campaign and unless something major happens in the next 24 hrs or so (which i very much doubt it) then i feel that the atmosphere amongst the terraces is going to get worse.

It's not his job to name players. It is why we employ scouts. Just because we mightn't know of any players doesn't mean they don't exist.

Exactly. I could throw in a few of the usual names, but thats not the point. Who here were crying for Alonso, Garcia, Sissoko and Reina before we were linked with them? None that i can remember.

And it's not that I'm pissed off becuase 'we've not signed a top player' as you put it redrosetints, it's first of all that we've so far failed miserably in bringing in anyone (nevermind 'top class' whatever you mean by that, you don't want top class?) to strengthen our weakest position in the firs XI, and second the way we seem to have been scraping the barrel for any half decent rightsided midfielder without acutally managing to sign even any of them (there have been started plenty of threads on here ridiculing Everton not beeing able to bring in anyone, as it stands we havent been all that succesful ourselves).

I never mentioned Zenden, so i fail to see why you brought him into this.

Is this them...Liverpool website . I am suffering from deja vue here, each day a new announcement of an under 20, "prospect for the future" on the website, being lauded as if it were a coup. The only team we seem to have refreshed is our reserves....

Care to elaborate? I've been unhappy with the board for a long time. I have made it known since I first started posting here. I remember getting into a long discussion with Stu Monty about it. I think Rafa knows what players he wanted but the board couldn't deliver.

Rafa only stated a couple of weeks back that he was happy with the signings and was quoted saying he gave a list to the board and that he was happy they carried out what he asked for

Guest Centrocampista1

Good afternoon guys

First ever post on the forum. Been an avid reader of TLW in print and on the web.

Let's get a grip here? We have a good squad who if they play to their potential will get into the Champions League. We have several players in the squad who would get into any team then an improved squad. Sure, there are a few that simply shouldn't be playing for Liverpool but as long as they are trying hard I'd be willing to get behind them. There are quite a few players in the past few years who had large pockets of support amopngst the fans. if the previous generation of players were around would have kicked the sh*te of him for being lazy pretentious and arrogant on the pitch and not pulling their weight.

Quite simply, the days of Liverpool going out and buying the best player just because he's available are over. We cannot compete with Chelsea or Real Madrid in this case.

What we do have is a manager who knows what he is doing. The man is quality and won't be shafted easily by present playing staff or future signings. He is a commander who has a picture of how he wants things to progress not just now but in the next few years.

If the players put in 100% and the manager picks the right time then this Liverpool squad has the ability to beat most Prem teams home and away and then we'll take out chances against the "big" 2 or 3. A team that can do that will be challenging. Getting that mentality instilled in the players where we play with a high tempo and overwhelm teams with superior desire and ability in the end is what Benitez is all about. See his Valencia teams for a model of how he wants his teams to play.

As for Owen, why should Liverpool pay twice what they sold a player for, especially a player who came through the ranks?

I agree, wait and see who we can bring in. Rememeber there are loads of players out there, but very few Liverpool type players. Diouf? Doubtless talented but no a Liverpool player. Alonso? Born to play for Liverpool.

Rafa only stated a couple of weeks back that he was happy with the signings and was quoted saying he gave a list to the board and that he was happy they carried out what he asked for

Up until that point they had carried out what he had asked for. There was still plenty of time to spare to add to that. There isn't now. Had the board completed the list we wouldn't, as a club, be fumbling around at the last minute for a RW and a CB.

The Off site is realy taking the piss today

there now running top 10 cloak and Dagger transfers wetting our appetite for a fantastic transfer that will probably not happen

Neglects to point out that almost every transfer before late nineties was 'cloak and dagger' Patronising bastards.

Up until that point they had carried out what he had asked for. There was still plenty of time to spare to add to that. There isn't now. Had the board completed the list we wouldn't, as a club, be fumbling around at the last minute for a RW and a CB.

Figo and Milito were rafa's number one targets, hardly the boards fault they didint want to come....now all the clubs got wind of our situation and making it harder for us, who knows what might happen yet?

united and arse have done nothing, blueshite cant get anyone

spurs and toon the big movers this summer

Neglects to point out that almost every transfer before late nineties was 'cloak and dagger' Patronising bastards.

What the fuck is that about? I work in PR, and this would look like a fairly obvious stunt to build up to something...but I dont honestly credit them with enough intelligence or sensitivity...

Good afternoon guys

First ever post on the forum. Been an avid reader of TLW in print and on the web.

Let's get a grip here? We have a good squad who if they play to their potential will get into the Champions League. We have several players in the squad who would get into any team then an improved squad. Sure, there are a few that simply shouldn't be playing for Liverpool but as long as they are trying hard I'd be willing to get behind them. There are quite a few players in the past few years who had large pockets of support amopngst the fans. if the previous generation of players were around would have kicked the sh*te of him for being lazy pretentious and arrogant on the pitch and not pulling their weight.

Quite simply, the days of Liverpool going out and buying the best player just because he's available are over. We cannot compete with Chelsea or Real Madrid in this case.

What we do have is a manager who knows what he is doing. The man is quality and won't be shafted easily by present playing staff or future signings. He is a commander who has a picture of how he wants things to progress not just now but in the next few years.

If the players put in 100% and the manager picks the right time then this Liverpool squad has the ability to beat most Prem teams home and away and then we'll take out chances against the "big" 2 or 3. A team that can do that will be challenging. Getting that mentality instilled in the players where we play with a high tempo and overwhelm teams with superior desire and ability in the end is what Benitez is all about. See his Valencia teams for a model of how he wants his teams to play.

As for Owen, why should Liverpool pay twice what they sold a player for, especially a player who came through the ranks?

I agree, wait and see who we can bring in. Rememeber there are loads of players out there, but very few Liverpool type players. Diouf? Doubtless talented but no a Liverpool player. Alonso? Born to play for Liverpool.

Welcome to the ranks of the posters. Nice opening bow.