You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So how much money have we spent this summer?

Rashid

Are we a big club or not? Why can't we pay our best players top dollar?

Champions League winners.

Won Uefa Cup, FA Cup, 2 League Cups.

The most successful club in British History.

One of the most supported clubs in the world.

Why in God's name are we even discussing us being skint or going in for the likes of Stelios and Figo in a position that is crucial? The club has let the fans down as regards signings.

Why do you spout such ill-considered bollocks so often when many people on many sites have given you advice on where to find actual facts, rather than your spurious suppositions?

Have a look at how much money we earn and how we earn it, and how much of it is basically fixed within certain parameters no matter what the board does. Have a look at the wage bill and how much it costs to run the club. Then take a look at the debt level. Then look at the capacity of Anfield, how much we charge to get in and make a judgement on how much YOU think we should be charging.

Then once you've done all that work out how much a club of our size, ground capacity etc can afford to spend on players each summer and start talking about that rather than fanciful Championship Manager-inspired bollocks clutched from thin air.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you spout such ill-considered bollocks so often when many people on many sites have given you advice on where to find actual facts, rather than your spurious suppositions?

Have a look at how much money we earn and how we earn it, and how much of it is basically fixed within certain parameters no matter what the board does. Have a look at the wage bill and how much it costs to run the club. Then take a look at the debt level. Then look at the capacity of Anfield, how much we charge to get in and make a judgement on how much YOU think we should be charging.

Then once you've done all that work out how much a club of our size, ground capacity etc can afford to spend on players each summer and start talking about that rather than fanciful Championship Manager-inspired bollocks clutched from thin air.

Whatever way I look at it, it is mis-management I am afraid.

There is no way anyone can say that a huge club like ours who are CL winners too should only be spending £10M net as a maximum in the close season when it is so apparent we need quality players. We are not working to our potential behind the scenes.

Whatever way I look at it, it is mis-management I am afraid.

There is no way anyone can say that a huge club like ours who are CL winners too should only be spending £10M net as a maximum in the close season when it is so apparent we need quality players. We are not working to our potential behind the scenes.

then the time has come for you to support Chelski, they will satisfy all your footballing fantasies

Rash, your afternoon nap seemed to work yesterday. Listen to yourself - you're grouchy, paranoid and rambling. It's time for a nappy and a bottle of milk for you, young man. Go on - up the apples and pears, and you can come out to play again after you've had a sleep and calmed down. The big boys don't have to be in until tea-time, so all your friends will still be here. Now off you go.

then the time has come for you to support Chelski, they will satisfy all your footballing fantasies

What utter nonsense. Thanks for the reasoned debated.

Rick Parry in the last few years:

1. Failed to attract investment to one of the biggest brands in world football.

2. Failed to get the stadium plans moving.

3. Failed to match his own words and "bring the best players" to Anfield.

The board may well support the manager but I'd defy any man to say Rafa prefers Stelios to say someone like Joaquin. Although that is an extreme case... nobody is asking for us to be like a Chelsea freak show... but £5M net spent so far this summer and millions saved in wages from loan deals is less than what Rafa and the fans deserve.

The week is not out yet but we are far bigger than this.

Rash, your afternoon nap seemed to work yesterday. Listen to yourself - you're grouchy, paranoid and rambling. It's time for a nappy and a bottle of milk for you, young man. Go on - up the apples and pears, and you can come out to play again after you've had a sleep and calmed down. The big boys don't have to be in until tea-time, so all your friends will still be here. Now off you go.

:D

thought the Thai lad was interested and there was an another exciting offer Parry stated awhile back, but as he said you dont rush into anything when saleing on the family silver.

There is not "rushing into something" mate and there is Parry "hiding behind a door with his eyes and ears shut"!! :D

The thais didn't work, the L4 didn't work, and we haven't heard about the 'exciting new proposal' for 8 months now. I am not holding my breath. I think the European Cup has saved the club making a few tricky boardroom decisions this summer.

Guest Postal Service

The board may well support the manager but I'd defy any man to say Rafa prefers Stelios to say someone like Joaquin. Although that is an extreme case... nobody is asking for us to be like a Chelsea freak show... but £5M net spent so far this summer and millions saved in wages from loan deals is less than what Rafa and the fans deserve.

1. Maybe the right kind of investment hasn't been offered.

2. Working with Liverpool City Council and the NWDA has proved immensely difficult against a economical backdrop that has inflated initial costs.

3. Alonso, Cisse (at the time he was condsidered a superb signing), Morientes.

Why are we 'far bigger' than this? The only way to genuinely make bigger profits is a bigger ground, and having been at Anfield for the Monaco home CHampions league game which didn't come close to selling out, one could question as to whether there is the demand to regularly fill a 60 thousand seater stadium.

Finally, please list 4/5 players who were available this summer who we should've bought, within a 20 million total spend (more than both Arsenal, Spurs and Man U)?

1. Maybe the right kind of investment hasn't been offered.

2. Working with Liverpool City Council and the NWDA has proved immensely difficult against a economical backdrop that has inflated initial costs.

3. Alonso, Cisse (at the time he was condsidered a superb signing), Morientes.

Why are we 'far bigger' than this? The only way to genuinely make bigger profits is a bigger ground, and having been at Anfield for the Monaco home CHampions league game which didn't come close to selling out, one could question as to whether there is the demand to regularly fill a 60 thousand seater stadium.

Finally, please list 4/5 players who were available this summer who we should've bought, within a 20 million total spend (more than both Arsenal, Spurs and Man U)?

Say we had £30M to spend as European Champions. Hypothetically and without playing Championship manager.

Say we bought Joaquin £20M, Andrade £8M, Owen £12M. = £40M

We sold say Baros £6.5M, Diouf £3.5M, Diarra £2M = £12M.

Leaves us with Zenden for free, the youngsters for free, and the saving on all the loans and free transfers out to pay for £3M we would need to buy Sissoko.

Simplistic I know but there you go.

Guest Postal Service
Say we had £30M to spend as European Champions. Hypothetically and without playing Championship manager.

Say we bought Joaquin £20M, Andrade £8M, Owen £12M. = £40M

We sold say Baros £6.5M, Diouf £3.5M, Diarra £2M = £12M.

Leaves us with Zenden for free, the youngsters for free, and the saving on all the loans and free transfers out to pay for £3M we would need to buy Sissoko.

Simplistic I know but there you go.

So you know for a fact that Joaquin was available for that, and that we could get Andrade for that money too? Also, would you not have bought a goalkeeper this summer? Surely that affects your spending on Joaquin?

So you know for a fact that Joaquin was available for that, and that we could get Andrade for that money too? Also, would you not have bought a goalkeeper this summer? Surely that affects your spending on Joaquin?

I would have prioritised fella, I think we needed a top class right winger and a decent centre back more than we needed a keeper.

Guest Postal Service

Even though teams with the best goalkeeper invariably win the league - see Clemence, Shilton, Schmiecel, Seaman, Cech.

Also - we are going to sign a centre back and Owen (probably). So your whole problem with the board and Rafa is that this summer we failed to land Joaquin, who may well not have been available, even for 20 mill? ANy other wingers we shoudl've gone for?

Rash has a point. It is not unreasonable to expect us to spend more money on players after winning the CL than we have. It really isn't. However, when you account for all the factors it is understandable why we haven't spent more than we have. We can't afford to, for whatever reason. We are atrocious when it comes to marketing; Reebok are shite too (is that correct usage Paul?). For instance, those smart looking jackets that the players wore lining up before the CL final aren't out till October.

It is not unreasonable to expect the club and its associates to be better equipped and to account for the possibility that we could actually win the damn thing. Whatever money we have made from merchandising we could have made more. I have bought none and I'll tell you why, because it is tacky as fuck. How many other people feel the same? I like the jackets that are coming out in October but I wanted to walk around wearing mine with pride whilst it was still fresh, not nearly six months after the event. What next, 2005 annuals out in 2006?

There are areas of the club that aren't run as well as they could be. This isn't to say I want or expect people to lose their jobs. I don't. However, it would be folly to think that everything has been run well as it hasn't. The search for investment and the new stadium are things that have dragged on and on. I know the club can't be held accountable for outside agencies such the North West Development Agency.Nevertheless, when it comes to investment things have been stale for a long time. We need to make movement swiftly to resolve these issues.

Rash, the truth is we don't have the money. Give it up.

YKI - Nice post. My gripe is that somebody somewhere at the club is to blame for this. We have not realised our potential commercially at all - FFS we are European Champions. I also have been waiting for that red tracksuit and jeep getting told it isn't out. Also the current adult home shirt was not on sale at the shop last weekend - what?!!

I know Rushian is going to rush to come and defend Parry but I won't buy it. Kenyon is a shit negotiator and a wanker for buying players and PR. But in marketing and maximising of revenues he is a bastard of an employee that gets results.

Mike Jefferies L4 group said last summer "I'd like to find the culprit who has not taken advantage of the huge Liverpool brand, they need to be hung. With the money, Liverpool would be in for the Ronaldo's of this world not some of what we have now".

Something along those lines, I am sure his investment proposal did not go down too well with Mr Parry.

1. Or simply didn't open us up to the type of takeover by a shark as experienced at Old Trafford. Or didn't put us at the mercy of a Russian who's looking for a stopgap while he waits for his chance to go home without fear of prosecution, at which point he'll move wholesale to CSKA Moscow (who he's grooming via sponsorship) and leave Chelsea in the shit.

2. Really. Surely this was more to do with 3rd party agendas. We have planning permission but things went south once the NWDA pulled out of the regeneration funding because they're obsessed with the idea of a shared stadium so the BS won't whinge.

3. We can only spend what we can reasonably afford - see Rushian's excellent comments above.

3. We can only spend what we can reasonably afford - see Rushian's excellent comments above.

Why can't we afford, where is the money? We have had brilliant success these past 4-5 years and haven't spent much in comparison to clubs of similiar size.