You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kuyt

GeoffM

Sorry for the cut and paste, but too lazy to put in a link!

Rafael Benitez today admitted that Dutch scoring sensation Dirk Kuyt is a player who interests the European Champions.

While the media have been linking the Reds with a move for former Anfield star Michael Owen, Benitez today spoke of a different striker altogether - Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt.

"Kuyt is a good striker," Rafa claimed today at Melwood. "He was top scorer in the Dutch league last season and he is a player we have been looking at. Maybe he is cheaper than other players but we'll have to see what happens."

On the subject of Milan Baros's future, Benitez said: "Baros at this moment is our player but he might not be in the next two to three days. We have had a very good offer from Lyon and another offer from Aston Villa. The player himself wants to stay in England so I would say Aston Villa are closer to a deal."

interesting, a statement to get Madrid and Owen sweating, Cisse and Baros out Kuyt and Owen in? havent got a clue as i am not in the know, but interesting none the less!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting hint to the board that one

ie he's heaping more praise on Kuyt than Michael Owen, interesting indeed.

I read an article before the NWDA decision that rafa wanted to buy both and if baros was sold he would have money for both players, obviously no idea if there was any truth in the story

Very interesting hint to the board that one

ie he's heaping more praise on Kuyt than Michael Owen, interesting indeed.

Or he's telling Michael Owen to drop his wages demands because if he doesnt he has other options? Oh and by the way he's said countless times Owen is a good player, sorry to piss on your "heaping more praise on Kuyt than Owen" theory.

Or he's telling Michael Owen to drop his wages demands because if he doesnt he has other options? Oh and by the way he's said countless times Owen is a good player, sorry to piss on your "heaping more praise on Kuyt than Owen" theory.

no probs i can buy your alternative scenario as well, but my gut feeling has always been that given the choice he would prefer Kuyt

Having never seen Kuyt play I can't really say if I'd like him or not. However, from what I've read he can play on the right of a front three, and seems to be well suited to English football (hard working etc). If Rafa is going to persist with the formation we have now, then Kuyt would be more useful than Owen.

If he's going to play with two forwards, then Owen is as good a signing as we can make in terms of getting goals.

Having never seen Kuyt play I can't really say if I'd like him or not. However, from what I've read he can play on the right of a front three, and seems to be well suited to English football (hard working etc). If Rafa is going to persist with the formation we have now, then Kuyt would be more useful than Owen.

If he's going to play with two forwards, then Owen is as good a signing as we can make in terms of getting goals.

Aye, as getting an out and out winger is proving difficult maybe he wants to slightly alter a bit and play 4 3 3

I agree, from what i can remember To the right of a front 3 was kuyt's prefered/ best position. With this system that would suit us well.

Nail hit firmly on the head.

in fact depending which one he signs might be a very good indication of the way forward for his team this season.

I meant in general, they've bought really well this summer and have a decent manager. Think they'll be in the euro places for sure!

Looking forward to seeing Spurz on Sky. The Prem is crying out for teams playing some decent footie.

That Bolton & Blueshite can represent this league in Europe is embarassing. Would love to see this year's UEFA places going to teams that can actually play the game and not the hit it, hope, dive and clog merchants from last year.

They'll be top five this season, I'm certain.

It was interesting listening to a Spurs fan on 606 who went to the game on Saturday saying that despite how poor Boro were, they could easily have got a draw. He reckoned that the defence was a weak area for them.

Am I alone in thinking a potential Leeds?

Depends entirely where the money's actually coming from. I don't know enough about Daniel Levy and the people backing him to comment, really.

Having said that, although they seem to be making higher-profile and bigger-money signings now with Davids and maybe Jenas, what they've been doing for the last couple of years is taking gambles on young British players for (relatively speaking) not too much money - they got Defoe, Dawson, Robinson et al more cheaply than they may have done otherwise because a lot of other clubs were still prevaricating about them being able to cut it. At the moment, it seems to be paying off...