You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Live Cricket

bri

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember before (10-20 years ago) when we used to listen to english football on the radio (BBC I think). They always summed up the score at the end, down do conference league and all, and then they started (probably still does) on the cricket-results....oh dear..me and my mates always broke down in laughter, of course because of our ignorance, but still. What is that they're saying? 15 wicket and to up on the stick or whatever. We never turned of the radio before we've heard the cricket result, even if we didn't understand a bit of it.

Strauss just got hit in the face by a ball travelling at 75mph on impact...how can that be a gay sport?

Go tell Freddie Flintoff he's gay...then tell me what Jupiter looks like as you pass it ;)

Nothing compared to a 120 mph puck in your teeth, so more gay than hockey. I've no idea who Freddie Flintstone is, but I'm sure I would twat him good... :yes:

kurt and all the others looking at it from a boring point of view.

In a way its a game of nutition and patience for the fan. Where else can you spend 4 / 5 days sitting on a couch / stand for 10 - 12 hrs a day drinking lager, eating burgers, getting sunstroke and barracking the thick aussies all day.

Meanwhile men on the pitch hurl a ball at another fella who tries to hit it and run with his mates across 22 yards of turf and at the end of it all they add it all up and one team wins, loses or its a draw. Yes yes i know what your all thinking that after 5 days of play its possible to draw.

Cricket is the thinking mans game. It's not just about running up and throwing a ball, there is a lot of psychology that goes in to it - subtle changes in speed and length etc. There are so many ways to get a batsman out and I find it really intriguing.

And anybody who says this series so far has been boring needs to get a reality check! It's been great and will continue to be so.

They even need square bats to hit the ball. It's more gay than baseball FFS!

And can someone please tell me how that score works? wickets? Is that what it's called? Is that those pins they try to hit? How hard can that be? We have a childrens game in Norway called "slå på stikka" but we usually get bored of it around 10 years old.

Gay. fact.

Where's Tom R? I would be interresting to have his view on this.

It's about mantal attrition too. You have eleven men all focussing on the slightest of flaws in your technique and a bowler who will usually target your every weakness. If you can take bodyline bowling then they'll pummel you until you give your wicket away.

Steve Waugh is possibly the greatest sporting captain of all time and the battle and attitude he had was the least gay thing in the world.

I'm not going to defend the sport itself (though I love it). But, as a spectator sport, cricket is an acquired taste. Spend a few summer days watching it on TV or in the ground, have a couple of beers. It's mesmirizing after a while. All the more so, for beginners, when you have some of those legendary commentators talking you through it. How football could do with a Benaud (as opposed to Lineker) or a Boycott (as opposed to Lawrenson or even Hansen). (Irish footie coverage has its Boycott-type pundit in Dunphy, and the difference a character like that makes, love him or loathe him, is huge.)

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Vaughan just got dropped by the Aussies. Next ball McGrath bowls him:

Slater: "AAAAgh yeah mate, what a response to...."

Boycott: "No ball, No ball, he's not out...aaahahah, unlucky all you aussies, couldn't have happened to nicer people...."

Slater: "Settle down there Boyc's!"

Think Geoffrey got a bit carried away there. Funny as fuck though.