You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro memories give Warnock added strength

terry mac

Euro memories give Warnock added strength Aug 10 2005

Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

THE glory of Istanbul will be remembered for the emotional extremes Liverpool's fans and players suffered on the route to victory.

For one Anfield star, the cocktail of torment and joy lasted far beyond the final whistle.

Steve Warnock's ecstasy at seeing his boyhood club claim their fifth European Cup was countered by his deflation at missing out, not only on a place in the squad and a winners' medal, but also, due to a mix-up on the team's return to Merseyside, a seat on the open-top bus.

He was left stranded at Melwood with forlorn colleagues as the rest of the squad took their applause.

The despair of being cruelly denied his invitation to the party forced the 23-year-old into a summer of reflection.

But rather than nurse grudges, the youngster returned to Melwood more determined than ever to ensure he's not left behind again.

Injury to Djimi Traore will offer Warnock fresh opportunities to establish his position in the first month of the season, and the Academy graduate will compete with John Arne Riise for his place against CSKA Sofia tonight.

Having been favoured in the left-back role in the last round, Warnock feels he's made a solid start in his ongoing bid to assert his credentials. "I still feel I have something to prove at Liverpool, " admits Warnock.

"I think you've always got to show the manager more when you're at a club like ours and I want to show everyone that I'm good enough to be in this team.

"My aim this season is to earn selection regularly at left-back and I've a lot of confidence in my ability to do so.

"It's unfortunate for Djimi he's injured, but I've got to look at it as an opportunity for me. Even if everyone in my position was fit I'd be trying my hardest to get into the team and backing my ability.

"At the end of last season I didn't think I did myself justice. After my ankle injury I rushed back too soon because I was desperate to play. "The injuries seemed to come along at bad times. I played well against Bayer Leverkusen and was happy with my form, only to get injured in the derby. Every time I was doing well, I'd have a little setback.

"Now I feel much fitter and fresher and there's no reason why I can't be right on top of my game."

Having finally, belatedly, confirmed his place in the senior squad a year ago, Warnock says the last 12 months taught him even more about the brutal realities of football.

"There were some good times last season and some really tough ones too," he said.

"On a personal level, the Carling Cup and Champions League finals stand out as particularly low points for me.

"I'd played in every round of the League Cup before the final, and missed out on a medal. Then when I wasn't in the squad for the European Cup final I'd have to say that was my lowest point of all.

"There weren't enough winners' medal for us all, so I didn't get one. I spent time over the summer getting over that.

"The night in Istanbul was a strange combination of emotions for me. When you're so close to it as a Liverpool fan who's grown up hearing about those kind of nights, you feel grateful that you're experiencing something which so many other supporters would love to be a part of.

"Then, on the other hand, you're having to come to terms with the most disappointing few days of your life as a footballer because you're not in the squad.

"It's definitely something I'll look back on with mixed thoughts, even though I was so happy as a supporter and player that we won.

"I feel I've learned some hard lessons about football. You've always got to try and take positives from every experience, but when you suffer those kinds of disappointments, it's not easy to think that way.

"Those occasions are what being a professional footballer is all about, so to miss out when you've been involved in helping the side get to the final takes getting over.

"I think going through that has toughened me up mentally and made me more determined to ensure the next time we get to a final, I'll be involved."

The next step on the road to recompense is Bulgaria and a clash Warnock believes is more hazardous than many believe for the European champions.

"It will be tricky tonight," he said. "No disrespect to the teams we've faced already, but we know CSKA are going to provide a bigger test. They're no mugs.

"We've seen the videos and they look like a team which likes to play counter-attacking football.

"It can be difficult in Europe when you don't know much about the opponent. It was like that in the last round. You find yourself assessing how good they are in the first 20 minutes of the game.

"In Lithuania, it took us a bit of time to get the measure of them. Then we found ourselves 1-0 down, looking at each other and thinking 'what's going on here?'.

"We can't afford to have that kind of start against stronger teams because we may find it more difficult to get back into the match."

I hope Warnock takes this opportunity. He has real promise at left back and could make the position his own if he performs like he did against Leverksusen.

On a seperate note, Paul must be gutted Djimi has picked this injury up - he'll do well to play in 75% now ;)

I hope Warnock takes this opportunity. He has real promise at left back and could make the position his own if he performs like he did against Leverksusen.

On a seperate note, Paul must be gutted Djimi has picked this injury up - he'll do well to play in 75% now ;)

As if I wouldn't have a fitness proviso in there, Browny my lad.