You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

More Owen speculation

Mark P

I really can't comment too much on this one, as its a very delicate situation and I've said I'll keep schtum about it.

All I'll say is that we have first option, and Madrid can't sell to anyone else unless we decline to take up that option. Owen is desperate to come back here, and has been for at least six months.

It's in Liverpool's best interests for Madrid to think we aren't interested at this stage, which is why I'm not going to be running any stories on the site, and why I hope no other lfc sites do just to try and score points.

Fair enough, but how do you feel about a possible return?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why do you think he's leaving? he's coming here of course!

haven't you noticed NP has been absent the last couple of days? he's been tapping up Eddie C big time, even brought along a couple of baby-seal skins to close the deal

Nice strategy, that way they can't accuse Liverpool for the tapping up of the player.

So he's bringing the big guns eh? baby seal skins....they're supposed to be the best.

Owen gives Toon hope Aug 11 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Michael Owen has told Newcastle United he would be prepared to join them - if Manchester United and Liverpool do not come in for hin.

This is the news The Chronicle can reveal tonight and it lifted some of the doom and gloom surrounding United's decision not to pursue Nicolas Anelka from Fenerbahce.

United have always insisted that they felt they had "an outside chance" of signing Owen from Real Madrid and at the moment I would say that it is slightly better than that.

For my information is that Owen has told United he would be interested in joining his big pal Alan Shearer at St James' Park but that he owed it to himself to see what his former club Liverpool and Manchester United were going to do.

Real were still saying today that they hoped Owen would stay at the Bernabeu - but as the Chronicle revealed on Tuesday night, Freddy Shepherd was ready to fly to Spain at their invitation to discuss the situation regarding the England striker.

There has been talk of Owen leaving Real Madrid on loan but I believe United's first move would be to try and make it a permanent deal.

My own feeling is that it is too late for United to have a new striker in time for Sunday's opener at Highbury.

But the smart money is on them signing a striker to make his home debut in the home Premiership match with West Ham a week on Saturday.

The Chronicle reported last night that, despite a claim to the contrary, United would not be going back to Fenerbahce with an improved offer for Anelka.

Graeme Souness is disappointed but quite philosophical - even after he lost another striker with Michael Chopra likely to be out for four to six weeks after damaging medial ligaments in his knee in the last night's Reserve victory over Leeds United at Kingston Park.

The United boss said today: "We are disappointed but we have been told by Fenerbahce that they could not think about letting Anelka go until they found a replacement and this was going to be difficult.

"They are finding out, like ourselves, there are not a lot of top strikers available."

All I'll say is that we have first option, and Madrid can't sell to anyone else unless we decline to take up that option. Owen is desperate to come back here, and has been for at least six months.

It's in Liverpool's best interests for Madrid to think we aren't interested at this stage, which is why I'm not going to be running any stories on the site, and why I hope no other lfc sites do just to try and score points.

How can that be? I presume our option is a "right of first refusal"-option, meaning that we have to match a bid from another club?

And assuming that we actually are interested, it would make more sense for LFC to say publicly something like "we are interested but only at the right price" and declining to comment what we consider "the right price" to be. That way other clubs wouldn't be interested in Owen because they'd have to spend lots of time negotiating with Real Madrid and Owen himself, and then risk that Liverpool choose to exercise the option. And as in any "auction" the fewer parties (clubs) interested, the lower the price that we would have to match.

I cannot imagine that Real Madrid are so desperate to sell Owen that they'd set a "fire sale"-price on him just because Liverpool apparently weren't interested in taking him back?

I cannot imagine that Real Madrid are so desperate to sell Owen that they'd set a "fire sale"-price on him just because Liverpool apparently weren't interested in taking him back?

They've always been quite reckless and cavelier in any approach to money. They only paid £8m, so they'll be happy enough to make a small profit and be free of his wages.

If they've no intention of playing him, his market value will only decrease if he stays.

If we took shorty on a seasons loan deal I presume we would have to pay his wages.

I've no idea what mini-me is on but it must be close to £100k in terms of what it would cost us each week.

£5.2 million for one year and then the possibility of another transfer fee is a heck of a lot of money.

Those Madrid bastards wont let him out on loan unless we are going to cough up for him.

Then again what price do we put on success?

Just rang the Echo, wasnt Bascombe but he had heard all the rumours listed on here too.

Press conference at 4, seen at Speke with Parry etc.

All he could say was that Michael WAS in Liverpool but that was as much as he knew???

Gettin good now innit?

Just rang the Echo, wasnt Bascombe but he had heard all the rumours listed on here too.

Press conference at 4, seen at Speke with Parry etc.

All he could say was that Michael WAS in Liverpool but that was as much as he knew???

Gettin good now innit?

I'd heard lads on RAWK had phoned the press office and that the club had denied there was going to a be a press conference.

i love all the press ocnference rumours, they just pop up,

"i've heard its 2:30, anyone know?"

"I hope so that'll be ace"

"Its 2:30 now and there's nothing on SSN, must be 3:30"

"yeah, either that or it'll be 5:30 so people can see it when they get home, its big news"

I'd heard lads on RAWK had phoned the press office and that the club had denied there was going to a be a press conference.

No mate, the fella at the Echo said he'd heard the same "RUMOUR" bout the press conference at 4.

But as its now 3.55 looks like thats bollocks too!