You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

More Owen speculation

Mark P

Goals.

From one source. Easy to defend against.

From all over the front 6, almost impossible to defend against.

How quickly we all forget how boring it is watching Gerrard look to hit 15 yards ahead of Owen every time we have the ball. Rafa is building a footballing attack with a system Owen does not fit into.

In the system we will play Owen will score no more than Cisse would. In the Houllier system with the whole team playing to his strenghts Cisse could have done just as well as Owen.

He left us because we weren't good enough. We don't need him. Why???

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How quickly we all forget how boring it is watching Gerrard look to hit 15 yards ahead of Owen every time we have the ball. Rafa is building a footballing attack with a system Owen does not fit into.

In the system we will play Owen will score no more than Cisse would. In the Houllier system with the whole team playing to his strenghts Cisse could have done just as well as Owen.

OK I've tried with one approach and it didn't work.

Here's another.

Trust in Rafa.

If that doesn't work either, I'll put you on ignore ;)

He's also fractionally slower than before and is guaranteed at least one six week lay off mid season.

And if he's so blindingly brilliant, why aren't any of the Milans, Juves, Barcelonas, Bayern Munichs, Chelseas interested?

Can someone explain where this big boost in shirt sales will come from? Considering there are still a lot of Owen shirts out there and he is tarnished in some fans' eyes?

Also can someone please explain why we are all falling over ourselves to buy a player who cannot hold the ball up and bring others into play as Crouch and Morientes can.

I've asked it before but what can Owen bring that we don't already have in our armoury?

We have pace, height, the ability to drop off into the hole, the ability to bring others into play, arial threat, threat from distance and bags full of goals.

WHY for the love of god?

The whole point of playing football is to win, you only win when you score goals. This holding the ball up, bringing others into play etc is all a waste of time if nobody can put the ball into the net regularly. Our top scorer last term scored 9 league goals I think. We need more Owen more than ever IMO.

Because he's a better finisher than Cisse? He's better at running the line and he's better at sneaky poacher crap goals. He's scored nearly 100 prem goals whereas Cisse has 4. It's just the proven angle.

And I'll question that whole Houllier system was playing to Owen's strengths thing. In 2001 when he scored the two goals in the FA cup final, Owen wasn't an automatic choice, we rotated with Fowler and Heskey. It was only in the last couple of seasons that we became over reliant on Owen.

Anyway, all pointless arguments really. We'll get him if Rafa wants him.

Well lets face it our strikers cant score, not fair to say that about cisse I know but we have not got a striker like owen who can prowl in the box and score that all important goal.... Thats why we need him - a proven goalscorer in the team

What makes you think gerrard would do that again now? after all there is a different style of play, our style wasnt dictated by michael owen in the Houllier years, he didnt sit everyone down and go through the tactics, he didnt sign the support cast for the "michael owen show" Houllier did, he set up the style, he told the players in a general way how to play..... That revolved around michael owen's goals

The whole point of playing football is to win, you only win when you score goals. This holding the ball up, bringing others into play etc is all a waste of time if nobody can put the ball into the net regularly. Our top scorer last term scored 9 league goals I think. We need more Owen more than ever IMO.

Do you train to be this stupid or is it a natural talent?

Cisse was injured all year, Crouch wasn't here, Morientes wasn't fit/was getting used to the style, Mellor was injured, Pongo picked up an injury...Gerrard had to be played up front!!...enough?

Do you accept that last season we were a bit short on forwards and therefore the comparison is pointless?

Cisse was injured all year, Crouch wasn't here, Morientes wasn't fit/was getting used to the style, Mellor was injured, Pongo picked up an injury...Gerrard had to be played up front!!...enough?

Do you accept that last season we were a bit short on forwards and therefore the comparison is pointless?

why bother answering such shite....if we were as consistant as Rashids shite we'd walk the league by Christmas

Well lets face it our strikers cant score, not fair to say that about cisse I know but we have not got a striker like owen who can prowl in the box and score that all important goal.... Thats why we need him - a proven goalscorer in the team

What makes you think gerrard would do that again now? after all there is a different style of play, our style wasnt dictated by michael owen in the Houllier years, he didnt sit everyone down and go through the tactics, he didnt sign the support cast for the "michael owen show" Houllier did, he set up the style, he told the players in a general way how to play..... That revolved around michael owen's goals

Fernando "I've scored shitloads my whole career" Morientes doesn't get a chance then?

If Owen doesn't score he can do nothing else. He needs service and if he doesn't get it he starves. When was the last time you saw him score a goal off his own back? All our forwards will ad to the team even when they are not scoring, bringing others into the game and setting up others for our goals.

Cisse injured all year, so still needs time to adjust. Morientes is not prolific or a 'poacher'. Pongo has scored about 5 goals in his career. As for Crouch he has had 6 months of a decent run in the PL in his career and previously scored 5 goals in 36 starts for Villa.

Owen guarantees goals.

Enough?

how many times last year did we look at the game, see so many rebounds off the opposition keeper only to go to be cleared how many times did we see a ball loose in the box with none of our strikers attacking it?

If we had owen last season he would have latched onto a lot of them, we are screaming out for a good old fashioned pacher which we havent got.

As far as Mori goes, well he hasnt exactly scored many or even looked half arsed in games since he joined - He may have an amazing season, he may not, but at preset moment he looks the most terrible forward we have in the team.

Besides it is clear we want shot of baros, so how can we get by on 3 first team strikers and 2 youngsters? So we will need a replacement for when baros goes and what better replacement than the number 1 england striker who has proven that he can carry the team through shit?

But nah, he walked out on us and lets just hold a grudge eh?

I still think Rafa is a tea drinker and the need for a coffee table just isn't there. The coffee-sale gained by the coffee-table acquirement just won't be high enough to defend the outlay.

We should've lived in a smaller house, to mutch fine furniture required in this big house called Liverpool.....

Well I do agree, but then its a very special coffee table and maybe it could be adapted to be used for tea too ? My only concern really, is that buying the coffee table doesnt affect our ability to also buy a sofa and lampshade. So long as we can get them AND the coffee table I dont mind !

Did you read that in his book??!!!

Does he fuck "know" Michael owen. Michael Owen wouldn't asssociate himself with a fat horrible S*n-hat wearing, lying thief.

I've spoken to Michael Owen, but i certainly don't know him. neitehr does that fat shit Oldham.

The only sources you have, Rashid, are HP and Heinz.

Btw, Owen is joining though. At least he fucking better had be as I've just put a pretty massive bet on it!

A press conf with Aimar then eh tom ! :tease:

Maybe we should send Kewell to have a sniff round and see what our rivals are up to.

the next day, Rafa receives a fish-skeleton wrapped in newspaper. Rafa rings Pako to get him to explain this response. Pako just sighs, shakes his head and says:

"Harry Kewell has eaten all their fish"

If Baros goes,I'd be very happy to see him back as he is a better finisher than our other options.He also seems to be the best finisher at Real.

The trouble with him during his last two seasons was that we were over-reliant on him but that wouldn't be the case now.

Rafa bears a lot of similarities to Paisley in my book. Now Paisley's signings didn't exactly set the world alight each summer. I didn't get excited about Whelan and Lawrenson. But the canny man knew how to build a team. He knew the importance of getting the mix right between flair, skill, graft and brawn.

Rafa sees players day in day out. He sees how they react on the training ground; he sees their mental strengths.

He has worked with Owen albeit only for a short time.

I think the team will be boosted most by grinding out a few difficult results early season, getting a good points tally under our belt, and developing some confidence in our league form.

Spot on Cath. Paisley and Rafa are from the same cut.

I can just see Rafa turing up to sign a player in his slippers ala Bob. And Bob wouldnt take any shite, just work on the team with his head down, the same with Rafa.

Cisse injured all year, so still needs time to adjust. Morientes is not prolific or a 'poacher'. Pongo has scored about 5 goals in his career. As for Crouch he has had 6 months of a decent run in the PL in his career and previously scored 5 goals in 36 starts for Villa.

Owen guarantees goals.

Enough?

No.

Morientes is not prolific? You are a clown. His international record is about 3 goals a fucking game.

This is the season for Cisse to play and adjust, I personally don't think he'll need that long. If we signed Owen then Cisse wouldn't get to "adjust" would he, he'd have to be sold as he'd obviously be behind Owen in the pecking order?

I don't think we'll struggle for goals without Owen and it amazes me that seemingly intelligent people think we will be better off with him.

Villa hoofed the ball at his head so he didn't score because he's a footballer, not hard to understand rashid.

It really is pointless though because in your championship manager world anyone with a big name is ace and anyone who has ability but isn't well known is shunned. For examples see Kewell, Owen, Stevie "I love him/he's a cunt" Gerrard. You are completely ruled by the size of a player's reputation.