You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfers Update

El Rojo

Please excuse the cut and paste, but there's some interesting stuff in this article

Lyon back for Baros

Aug 8 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

MILAN BAROS is edging closer to the Anfield exit as French duo Monaco and Lyon battle for his signature.

The Czech striker could leave within the next 48 hours, with former boss Gerard Houllier re-igniting his interest in the £7m rated striker.

Houllier is keen to pair Baros with John Carew and the lure of Champions League football is thought to be tempting the 23-year-old.

Monaco, who play in a Euro qualifier this week, have also registered their interest although no firm bid has been made.

Anfield officials say interest in the forward has increased over the weekend and a move abroad is the most likely outcome after Premiership duo Aston Villa and Everton dropped out of the chase.

Baros has again been withdrawn from the squad travelling to Bulgaria tomorrow as his future looks to be resolved.

Funds from the Baros transfer have already been set aside to pay for a new centre-half, although the Reds' chase for Deportivo's Jorge Andrade is likely to end in frustration. The Spanish side insist their defender is not for sale.

Manager Rafa Benitez is mulling over several alternatives as he desperately seeks cover for Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia.

Luis Figo's decisionto join Inter Milan rather than the European Champions has also left Benitez with a headache on the right side of midfield.

Numerous alternatives have been proposed, with Bolton's Stelios Giannokopolis once again linked with the Reds over the weekend. However, a move for the Bolton winger is highly unlikely.

Seville's £6m rated Brazilian winger Daniel Alves is on Benitez's wanted list, but once more, Liverpool's approaches have been frustrated by his side's unwillingness to sell.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have suffered an injury blow with defender Djimi Traore expected to miss the first month of the season.

Traore has a thigh strain which will rule him out for a minimum of four weeks.

Steve Warnock and John Arne Riise will fight for the left back position in Sofia and Middlesbrough.

Funds from the Baros transfer have already been set aside to pay for a new centre-half,

Not Owen, in other words. Seems, quite simply, we aren't close to signing either a right wing or a central defender, and that Owen isn't a priority. All of which is bad news...

Baros to Lyon and LFC no nearer to signing a defender and right winger with season 5 days away. Good stuff Rick!

what part of it is Rick's fault FFS!? Is it Rick Parry who insists these players arent for sale?

Rafa has his targets and they wont co-operate, how is that the fault of our cheif exec?

Guest Kaelin
Baros to Lyon and LFC no nearer to signing a defender and right winger with season 5 days away. Good stuff Rick!

u muppett. I'm sorry ive seen a lot of shite but you havin a go at Rick for Us not getting a CB is a disgrace. Rafa wanted Milito we've been tryin, but his club don't want too sell. This aint Valencia Rafa picks the players he wants if they don't want too go/club won't sell or priced out of our range how is that Ricks fault???

Oh b4 u call me a C**T or some other Derogetory remarks have a look at the other shite youve written and tell me if ive ever said anythin b4, this aint a Rash hunt or disagreein with ur point of view but when you speak Bullshit some1s gotta say thats bullshit.

Guest Kaelin

its like Rafa said he knows who he wants if he cant get them he has options but if he cant get them then........its no-ones fault except the person involved. Milito wanted too stay used us too get Udinese too give him a monster wage, Figo went for money but too befair that was Madrids fault for askin for £2m, Gonzalez work permit turned down, Andrade Priced way out our range. Not Rafa or Ricks fault.

I think as European Champions we have been working on a small budget largely due to Parry's problems in attracting investment.

Do you know what our transfer budget has been this summer? Do you know of specific players the manager wanted and who wanted to come to us, but who we were unwilling to bid a reasonable amount fo? Do you know of specific investors who have been turned away by Parry, and if so what their plans for the club would have been?

Do you know what our transfer budget has been this summer? Do you know of specific players the manager wanted and who wanted to come to us, but who we were unwilling to bid a reasonable amount fo? Do you know of specific investors who have been turned away by Parry, and if so what their plans for the club would have been?

No, I am guessing. But I can ask Nick, just give me a few moments.

Don't start slagging off another poster - why not just answer the question?

No I don't bloody know, I am guessing! Rick Parry is a great CEO but he has NOT delivered us the investment he promised 2 years ago despite our recent success - that is a fact. As European Champions we should not be scraping the barrel with Zenden, Crouch and begging for Figo, Rafa deserves more money to bring in the best.

No I don't bloody know, I am guessing! Rick Parry is a great CEO but he has NOT delivered us the investment he promised 2 years ago despite our recent success - that is a fact. As European Champions we should not be scraping the barrel with Zenden, Crouch and begging for Figo, Rafa deserves more money to bring in the best.

Scraping the barrel? What utter shit you chat, Rafa wanted Crouch so he got him. We've also got a new £6m goalie, a £5.5m youngster, have bid around £8m for Milito but they didnt want to sell. We've got money but we're trying to sign the right players stop talking shit.

Having watched & observed for some weeks now on here, I can confirm that you're even 'better' than Spider Neil on YNWA......and that takes some doing!

As European Champions we should not be scraping the barrel with Zenden, Crouch and begging for Figo, Rafa deserves more money to bring in the best.

We became European Champions with a squad and team that Rafa evidently feels is improved by the signings you vilify above. Back here in the real world, as opposed to chumps manager world where apparently you exist, some of our most successful signings of recent years have been of low monetary value, and largely unheard of/unrated by the programmers who compile the stats for chumps manager.

I think Rashid has a point. After last season we all wanted a new CB, RM and GK. And from his comments the last two weeks it sounds like Rafa wanted that too (and a new striker). We've now had failed attemts to land a number of players for the CB and RM spot, whether that is down to lack of funds or refusal to pay over the top we dont know, but I'm sure we all wanted/expected more than we've got this summer back in may.

I think Rashid has a point. After last season we all wanted a new CB, RM and GK. And from his comments the last two weeks it sounds like Rafa wanted that too (and a new striker). We've now had failed attemts to land a number of players for the CB and RM spot, whether that is down to lack of funds or refusal to pay over the top we dont know, but I'm sure we all wanted/expected more than we've got this summer back in may.

Do you think a more appropriate time for this post might be when the transfer window actually closes in, er, three weeks' time?

Da ting is Salte, who would YOU bring in at CB or RM ?

Think about it, who exactly is there that is both affordable and available ?

WRT CB, were not just trying to buy anyone one here, were looking for someone to come in and partner/Take over/compliment Sami and Jamie here. Not any old CB, just to fill a place. Terry, Carvalho, Ferdinand, Campbell, Toure etc etc etc are taken and I dont know many others coming through.

WRT RW, again, who is available, and at the right price, and who is good enough ? We couldnt afford SWP, Figo chose against us so were left looking at Stelios and the like. And while it probably wont happen, Stelios is an upgrade to the lad we had.

I understand your frustration, but get some perspective on it matey. This squad were champions of europe last season, and while domestically we might be off the pace, were still one of the best teams in the country, and therefore we need to attract players that are better than the ones we've got. Easy when your in the 3rd div, not so easy when your champs of europe. So Im sure Parry and Co are working their arses off to get the right men in and we just need to keep quiet and wait, Im sure it'll come good !

FWIW, Ive always liked Malbranque, though i think Rafa owuld see him more as a Garcia type than an out and out wide man, and I alsways liked Danny Gabbidon at Cardiff. Gabbidons gone to West Ham, but Steed is still available.

As far as investment is concerned when it comes i would have thought the majority of the money would be used for the new stadium especially in light of the shortfall from the NWDA decision and thats far more important to the future of our club than a player who could break his leg 10 games into signing for us.

Obviously it not Parry's fault, as most teams are finding out its very difficult to buy players when clubs dont want to sell and we are all against signing stop gap players arent we?

The Were Skint/ where has all the money gone thread should be left until after September 1st when our transfer dealings are complete and we can actually see how much money net we have spent.

The squad is stronger this year but were not going to take short cuts and jeoperdise the future of the club.

Like Arsenal once are new stadium is complete we will be able to compete for transfers at a much higher level.

Liverpool is the only club in the top 4 that is run to break even with all profits going back into the good of the club.