You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man United register interest in Owen

Rashid

Real madrid have realesed a statment saying that Man United are interested in Michael Owen according to Sky Sports.

I'd lose the will to live if he goes there.

They would not have released this statement if Owen himself had not through his agents showed a willingness to talk to United.

Man Utd & Newcastle in Owen fight (BBC Sport)

Manchester United and Newcastle have contacted Real Madrid with a view to signing striker Michael Owen.

Real have revealed Newcastle have shown the stronger interest but that the Old Trafford club are also in the frame.

"Newcastle are very interested in Owen," said a Real spokesman. "They are following him closely and are showing the most concrete interest.

"However, there are other sides showing an interest in Owen, including Manchester United."

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd had earlier confirmed his club have had initial talks with the Bernabeu outfit.

"We've had a discussion with Madrid but we won't be commenting further on any speculation," Shepherd told the club's official website.

Owen's future at Real is in doubt after Real signed Robinho and Julio Baptista which could move him down to fifth choice behing the two new arrivals as well as Ronaldo and Raul.

Newcastle are desperate to sign a striker but their attempts to land Owen may be hindered by the fact they are not involved in European competition this season.

The Magpies have lost Patrick Kluivert and Craig Bellamy from their attack and have had an offer for Fenerbahce forward Nicolas Anelka rejected.

But Manchester United can offer Owen the prospect of Champions League football and that is likely to give them the edge if it came down to a straight choice between the two for the player.

But the player's former club Liverpool have played down their interest in bringing him back to Anfield while Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has stated signing a striker is not his priority.

Real madrid have realesed a statment saying that Man United are interested in Michael Owen according to Sky Sports.

They would not have released this statement if Owen himself had not through his agents showed a willingness to talk to United.

Owen's a "career" player...he'd have no qualms about turning out for them, as much as it would turn my stomach. Wonder what, if anything, is going on behind the scenes with Rafa and Parry, to bring him home...

Michael and his agents are getting a wee bit worried methinks. The best offers so far are Newcastle or the Madrid bench.

Still think there's a vague possibility we might step in if everything else falls though but he's nowhere near the top of Rafa's list. Let him go to the Mancs

Owen's a "career" player...he'd have no qualms about turning out for them, as much as it would turn my stomach. Wonder what, if anything, is going on behind the scenes with Rafa and Parry, to bring him home...

From what I hear and from reading the Carra interview its simple, Moores, Parry, Gerrard and Carra want him home, Rafa has other priorities. I'd love to see him come home...Can you imagine him scoring in front of the KOP for 'them'?

From what I hear and from reading the Carra interview its simple, Moores, Parry, Gerrard and Carra want him home, Rafa has other priorities. I'd love to see him come home...Can you imagine him scoring in front of the KOP for 'them'?

Think I'll trust in our manager (who, lest we forget, brought us the European Cup in his first season) to make the right decision.

By the way, I don't think United have any intention of signing him.

Unfortunately, Rafa picks the team, chooses which players to buy, etc. IF he came "home", I'd like to see a bit of humility from Owen...saying he has no regrets about leaving doesn't quite wash with me. He's not been first choice over there, politics rule at Real, Liverpool won the European Cup in the most amazing circumstances, Real won fuck all...it's human nature to think "What if" and have a tinge of regret.

OK, what exactly do you hear, Rashid? And from where? Do tell - really.

OK, what exactly do you hear, Rashid? And from where? Do tell - really.

I heard from a man from another forum who is an old mate that knows a few of the players, and I won't mention his name who said that Rafa is cool on Owen returning but the board, the Captain and Carra are desperate for his return. That pissed me off because I could not think of a better striker signing than Owen where Liverpool are concerned.

I wouldn't believe a Real press statement if it told me that the sky was blue, and that grass was fucking green. Man U aren't interested, Owen isn't interested in Newcastle, we are the only viable player, Real want shot, Owen wants to go, but Real want £18m, with Figo they brought another club in, with how things are looking no one else is coming in for Owen, I would not be surprised to see him back here for the second Prem game.

They have contacted Madrid about signing him, this now a FACT.

It's not unusual for clubs to conspire to create false news when it's mutually beneficial. If Madrid state that United are interested, this adds a quite a few shekels onto the price Newcastle - who now look forerunners - will have to fork out.

Man Utd & Newcastle in Owen fight (BBC Sport)

Manchester United and Newcastle have contacted Real Madrid with a view to signing striker Michael Owen.

Real have revealed Newcastle have shown the stronger interest but that the Old Trafford club are also in the frame.

"Newcastle are very interested in Owen," said a Real spokesman. "They are following him closely and are showing the most concrete interest.

"However, there are other sides showing an interest in Owen, including Manchester United."

Magpies chairman Freddy Shepherd had earlier confirmed his club have had initial talks with the Bernabeu outfit.

"We've had a discussion with Madrid but we won't be commenting further on any speculation," Shepherd told the club's official website.

Owen's future at Real is in doubt after Real signed Robinho and Julio Baptista which could move him down to fifth choice behing the two new arrivals as well as Ronaldo and Raul.

Newcastle are desperate to sign a striker but their attempts to land Owen may be hindered by the fact they are not involved in European competition this season.

The Magpies have lost Patrick Kluivert and Craig Bellamy from their attack and have had an offer for Fenerbahce forward Nicolas Anelka rejected.

But Manchester United can offer Owen the prospect of Champions League football and that is likely to give them the edge if it came down to a straight choice between the two for the player.

But the player's former club Liverpool have played down their interest in bringing him back to Anfield while Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has stated signing a striker is not his priority.

Rash, i dont doubt they are intersted, but your opening to this thread was about how Owens agent, and in turn Owen must be saying that they are happy to go to UTD. Clearly, this report just says Toon are interested and some whipping up of a dutch auction by Madrid. Nothing new in this is there.

Rash, i dont doubt they are intersted, but your opening to this thread was about how Owens agent, and in turn Owen must be saying that they are happy to go to UTD. Clearlyu, this report ust says Toon are interested and some whipping up of a dutch auction by Madrid. Nothing new in this is there.

I think Owen is open to Man United if Liverpool don't act.

I think Owen is open to Man United if Liverpool don't act.

Well maybe he is, if he is, fair play to him , what do you want us to say ?

We've had enough threads discussing whether we'd have him back, and we all know everyone has a different take on it.

Would I be happy Owen going to Utd, no, but then I wasn't happy Rooney went there nor Van Horse Face. Simply cos I dont want them having better players.

Would I like Owen back at Lveprool, i dont know, because of all the issues surrounding his least season and how he left, but in pure footie terms yes of course I would.

But the bottom line is, I woulnt buy Michael Owen JUST to stop him going to United or anywhere else. That would be ridiculous. WE'll just have to see what happens.

FWIW, over the past 2 or 3 days, people I know who do actually seem to be 'in the know' are all saying one thing, and thats that Owen will resign for us sometime this month. But its all down to Baros going and us paying a decent price. Which for me fits perfectly with the stuff comign from Madrid which seems to me to be a completley transparent bluff to try and increase the price. Madrid want Owen out, we'll only pay 8 to 10 m, so Madrid are trying to make it into an auction.

All imho of course !

Flashing up on bottom of SSN now - United deny making contact with Real over MO

What a fucking shock. A club whose new owner wants to slash their spending prove not to be pursuing an expensive new striker after all, and Rashid works himself into a spittle-soaked frenzy over fuck all.