You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Baros- A Problem ?

Red Nick

according to a small peice in the Mirror Baros turned down Villa because they wouldnt meent his wage demands of 2m a year which i dont consider too excessive, they bid 6.5m but then dont give the player wages to match. Maybe they have been impressed with Everton's approach to Transfers.

So as far as i can understand the only option is 5.5m from Monaco where wages wont be a problem as there tax free. Liverpool obviously want 6.5m but aint gonna get it, so deo we keep him or sell him for the reduced ammount

according to a small peice in the Mirror Baros turned down Villa because they wouldnt meent his wage demands of 2m a year which i dont consider too excessive, they bid 6.5m but then dont give the player wages to match. Maybe they have been impressed with Everton's approach to Transfers.

So as far as i can understand the only option is 5.5m from Monaco where wages wont be a problem as there tax free. Liverpool obviously want 6.5m but aint gonna get it, so deo we keep him or sell him for the reduced ammount

£5.5m for a player of Baros' quality isn't enough in my opinion. But then I think he's ace and I wouldn't sell him for ten. If he has to go he has to go but surely his reputation from the Euro championships should let us get more than that.

People seem pretty surprised at Baros's price and the clubs that are interested (or not). Personally, I think clubs - especially on the continent - are judging him on his Champions League performances last year rather than on Euro 2004. And the fact is that his performances from Leverkusen onward were poor, with some misses that would make anybody wonder if he's worth even 5 million...

A big factor on his value is how long he has left on his contract. I've heard from various people/media outlets that he has only one year left although I'm sure that I heard/read somewhere that he's got two years left! If he's only got the one year left then his value would most probably be around £4-6 Million as in 5 months time he could sign a pre-contract with another club and go on a Bosman free next summer. However if he's got 2 years left then his value would be around £7-10 Million IMO.

Josef is right when he mentions that clubs are judging Baros on last season's CL performances as apposed to his displays at Euro 2004 as IMO the CL (especially the latter stages, i.e. last 16 onwards) is a higher standard of football and you tend to find that only the very best players, not just in Europe but in the world, tend to do the business on a regular basis in latter stages of that competition.

IF Rafa does want shot of him I'd take the money, I just cant see how they can repair the damage after what's gone on. Especially when Rafa has said he's not trying to sell him but he can talk to different clubs, If I was Baros the trust would be gone for me. From Benitez perspective how do you motivate a player who clearly knows that you dont rate him. |ts now best to get the best deal possible and move on

If we got an offer of £5m from a non-english club we should take it.

But the transfer market between english clubs is different - we wouldn't have paid £7m for Crouch if he'd signed from abroad.

I don't remember if Baros has ever signed a new contract with us or if he's still on the deal he got in 2001/02 ? If he is, that would suggest he won't be costing us a great deal in wages ?

In the current market I can't see us getting more than £7m for him, and I think we know that but we're holding out for as much as possible as we need the money. Pretty sure it'll be sorted out in the next week or so, domestic seasons are kicking off and clubs want their squads together.

A big factor on his value is how long he has left on his contract. I've heard from various people/media outlets that he has only one year left although I'm sure that I heard/read somewhere that he's got two years left! If he's only got the one year left then his value would most probably be around £4-6 Million as in 5 months time he could sign a pre-contract with another club and go on a Bosman free next summer. However if he's got 2 years left then his value would be around £7-10 Million IMO.

Josef is right when he mentions that clubs are judging Baros on last season's CL performances as apposed to his displays at Euro 2004 as IMO the CL (especially the latter stages, i.e. last 16 onwards) is a higher standard of football and you tend to find that only the very best players, not just in Europe but in the world, tend to do the business on a regular basis in latter stages of that competition.

It is 2 years.

The sheer lack of interest in Baros dictates we won't get anywhere near the 7-10M mark for him.

It is 2 years.

The sheer lack of interest in Baros dictates we won't get anywhere near the 7-10M mark for him.

You're right-£7-10 Million is a bit excessive now I really think about it! Glad to hear that he does have 2 years left as it means that we won't be held to ransom if/when a club comes in for him before August the 31st.

Incidentley does anyone else think that the turning point in Baros' Liverpool career was that missed penalty against West Brom on Boxing day? Remember the game before against Newcastle when he had a blinder? That for me was the best I've ever seen Baros play. He only scored twice for us last season after that!

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15833400%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=lyon%2dback%2din%2dfor%2dbaros-name_page.html

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149588050808-1420.htm

A couple of links for you Echo says he's staying behind to conclude transfer and Official site say he's going to Bulgaria, i suppose its a question of which story came first

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=15833400%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=lyon%2dback%2din%2dfor%2dbaros-name_page.html

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149588050808-1420.htm

A couple of links for you Echo says he's staying behind to conclude transfer and Official site say he's going to Bulgaria, i suppose its a question of which story came first

I guess he'll be on the bench in Sofia, cos Crouchie's out we're left with just Moro and Cisse. He won't come on though, unless something really untoward happens.

You've got to love the local IC press, the echo puts out Liverpool's spin and the the brum one puts out Villa's spin, obviously Liverpool are trying to scare Villa in upping there bid and Villa making it clear, take it or leave it, Great stuff

6m and Mellberg would be ok

Guest bionic_gollywog
If that is true...And Villa indeed is trying to play hard ball...we should say...ok £6m if you throw in Luke ( or Stefan..i never remember which one of them is the good one) Moore, then we got a deal! A young talented english striker, that can provide good back up!

dunno which one meself but the good moore is still at villa, the bad moore has been moved on to a championship team in london...THINK its QPR...but the lad has deffo made a switch

golly

Guest bionic_gollywog
You've got to love the local IC press, the echo puts out Liverpool's spin and the the brum one puts out Villa's spin, obviously Liverpool are trying to scare Villa in upping there bid and Villa making it clear, take it or leave it, Great stuff

6m and Mellberg would be ok

6m AND mellberg???...either u really rate baros or think mellberg is pants ;).

serious...i'd love to see mellberg come, but cant see it. villa aint got much cover at the back and is he not captain as well ? he'd cost more than upson.

golly

Guest bionic_gollywog
its the same line from Rafa that he has been saying for over a week now, but underneath it all he wants him sold

its obvoius rafa wants shut. still a lot o' interestin' things to come before the tranfer window shuts methinks ... CB deffo...RW as well...maybe Owen too? ;)

golly