You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Solano

Brownie

He's in the last year of his Villa contract and has spoken to a 'Spanish club' apparently.

Considering we were after Figo and he would have cost nothing, it would be fair to suggest that our budget is low. Solano would be a good cheap option for a season I reckon.

Quality player IMO but I'd prefer to get a long term solution at RM,we still haven't replaced Steve McManaman!

What have the two got to do with each other ? Macca was a hole player, never a RM. But thats a whole nuther debate.

AS for Solano, hadn't thought of him, but yes a good idea, considering the alternatives...

Wasnt Malbranque touted at some point?

Yeah he was but I don't think he's a natural wide player to be honest. I wouldn't complain if we signed him though.

As for Solano, I just think that he is Rafa's type of player. He gives good width and puts superb crosses into the box. Remember that goal he scored last season as well where he flicked it up and sort of bicycle kicked it in - awesome. Seeing as Figo was a good option for a year then why not Solano?

Plus nis name is Nobby - we have to sign him for that fact alone...

Is Solano still playing internationally though? If he is, Peru have got another three WC games in September and October, so he'd be missing games and coming back jet-lagged. Not necessarily saying it's a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't help him settle in much.

Thats a very good point. I seem to remember that being a problem when he was at Newcastle - he clashed with Bobby Robson about it more than once.

Hey guys, I hear we were linked with Solano today - not for me ;)

Is Solano still playing internationally though? If he is, Peru have got another three WC games in September and October, so he'd be missing games and coming back jet-lagged. Not necessarily saying it's a deal-breaker, but it wouldn't help him settle in much.

might have the same problem with Gonzalez if we decide to keep him the following season

Thats a very good point. I seem to remember that being a problem when he was at Newcastle - he clashed with Bobby Robson about it more than once.

Yeah, but you know what Robson's like - at the time he probably thought he was slagging off Arnold Muhren for a misplaced back-heel to John Wark sometime in the autumn of 1979.

his defensive work is best described as suspect and certainly not like Riise or Zenden on the left and this was the reason he was shown the door at newcastle.

if your going to play with 2 wide players you need them both to be hard working and those are two words not known to Solano

his defensive work is best described as suspect and certainly not like Riise or Zenden on the left and this was the reason he was shown the door at newcastle.

if your going to play with 2 wide players you need them both to be hard working and those are two words not known to Solano

He's played left back for Peru before, so his defensive qualities can't be that bad. I'd say he's a fairly hard worker too. For me though, he's a bit one dimensional and not very good. Wouldn't want him.

No, it wasn't. I'm not suggesting we should sign him, but the reasons he was sold by Newcastle were essentially that he kept getting called away for Peru games, he was getting on a bit, and that with Robert on the other side they needed more of a midfielder than a winger on the right for the balance of the side (ie Bowyer or Dyer).

Every Newcastle fan I know was also pretty pissed off he was sold, particularly so cheaply.

Like I say, his signing wouldn't give me much of a thrill, but you're wide of the mark with that one.

Yeah, but you know what Robson's like - at the time he probably thought he was slagging off Arnold Muhren for a misplaced back-heel to John Wark sometime in the autumn of 1979.

Class.

I love those little Bobby Robson ditty's. The funniest one I read was when he was England manager he came downstairs and bumped into Bryan Robson. So, as you do, he wished him a good morning.

'Morning Bobby' he said.........'oh no that's me isn't it, you're Bryan'.

Gotta love memory loss - it rules.

I can't remember what I was saying now....

Nick in making stuff up to suit his argument shocker!