You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why we need a 20-goal a season striker...

d.k.E.

...called Michael Owen.

Hi all, relatively new poster on this site, although keen reader of the many informed comments. Native of the Wirral been a fan for best part of 34 years and was a season-ticket holder in the glory years of Barnes/ Beardsely/ Aldridge (and the mad Ronnie Whelan fan on the Kop, if anyone here remembers).

Anyway, last night's match has compelled me to add my view on the Michael Owen debate (and forgive me for starting another thread but the other one seems to have degenerated into a discussion of Only Fools and Horses ;) ) Watching last night, it hit me hard that, with the probable exclusion of Baros, we do not have a striker who will score 20 league goals in a season: Cisse has an unpredictable first touch, likes blasting the ball but shows little composure when faced with one-on-ones etc, Crouch may prove to be flash in the pan and is at best likely to get into the teens in terms of goals (I am not going to slag him off because I think he serves a purpose, but he is not a 20-goal, predatorial striker a la Alrdridge, Rush etc) and Morientes has not impressed and does not have the goal-hanging/ first to the rebound/ playing on the shoulder of the last defender style that is needed for so many goals.

On the other hand, for an investment which, if in a different situation would be more than acceptable (if he hadnt previously played for us and left us last season), we can acquire a players who has not only done it year in and out for us, but has done remarkably well in Spain and for England. Add that to the mix, and add another 20+ goals from him, then you would see draws becoming wins, defeats becoming draws and the points gap to the "top three" receeding.

After reading the numerous posts on the same topic, I know that emotions run high at the mention of his acquisition - but I ask each of you honestly, if you were to take a step back for a moment and rationally assess our play over the last season and the few games so far, there has been an improvement, but no cutting edge. Now we have the opportunity to get a 25-year-old (forgive me if this is the incorrect age) goal-scoring guarantee, who maybe made a misjudgement, but loves this club, and will make a difference immediately (whereas with out other strikers you have to say the jury is still out, and is likely to stay out, on their goal return in the Premiership).

Anyway, feel better for that...let the debate continue... :thumbsup:

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Michael Owen's first touch was as bad as Cisse's, if not worse. People always used to excuse Owen's lacklustre all-round performances because he scored goals. Well, Cisse's all-round performances right now are better than Michael's were in the last couple of seasons he was here AND he's scoring goals.

With Flo coming back to offer competition, I don't think we need anyone.

...called Michael Owen.

Hi all, relatively new poster on this site, although keen reader of the many informed comments. Native of the Wirral been a fan for best part of 34 years and was a season-ticket holder in the glory years of Barnes/ Beardsely/ Aldridge (and the mad Ronnie Whelan fan on the Kop, if anyone here remembers).

Anyway, last night's match has compelled me to add my view on the Michael Owen debate (and forgive me for starting another thread but the other one seems to have degenerated into a discussion of Only Fools and Horses ;) ) Watching last night, it hit me hard that, with the probable exclusion of Baros, we do not have a striker who will score 20 league goals in a season: Cisse has an unpredictable first touch, likes blasting the ball but shows little composure when faced with one-on-ones etc, Crouch may prove to be flash in the pan and is at best likely to get into the teens in terms of goals (I am not going to slag him off because I think he serves a purpose, but he is not a 20-goal, predatorial striker a la Alrdridge, Rush etc) and Morientes has not impressed and does not have the goal-hanging/ first to the rebound/ playing on the shoulder of the last defender style that is needed for so many goals.

On the other hand, for an investment which, if in a different situation would be more than acceptable (if he hadnt previously played for us and left us last season), we can acquire a players who has not only done it year in and out for us, but has done remarkably well in Spain and for England. Add that to the mix, and add another 20+ goals from him, then you would see draws becoming wins, defeats becoming draws and the points gap to the "top three" receeding.

After reading the numerous posts on the same topic, I know that emotions run high at the mention of his acquisition - but I ask each of you honestly, if you were to take a step back for a moment and rationally assess our play over the last season and the few games so far, there has been an improvement, but no cutting edge. Now we have the opportunity to get a 25-year-old (forgive me if this is the incorrect age) goal-scoring guarantee, who maybe made a misjudgement, but loves this club, and will make a difference immediately (whereas with out other strikers you have to say the jury is still out, and is likely to stay out, on their goal return in the Premiership).

Anyway, feel better for that...let the debate continue... :thumbsup:

Very good post mate - get posting more!

I totally agree about Michael Owen. There's no doubt that him leaving last summer left a sour taste in the mouth, but from a purely selfish point of view it would be great to have him back in the side. He is guaranteed goals. Some people like to debate various merits of his all round game and I do believe there are areas he can improve on.

Having said that, when the chips are down he tends to produce the goods. In short he's a match winner, and any team wants to have one of them. As well as on the pitch, his arrival would give the whole club a lift and add to the feel good factor after the glorious events of Istanbul.

Please please let it happen.

Michael Owen's first touch was as bad as Cisse's, if not worse. People always used to excuse Owen's lacklustre all-round performances because he scored goals. Well, Cisse's all-round performances right now are better than Michael's were in the last couple of seasons he was here AND he's scoring goals.

Owen's first touch is variable, but it's far better than Cisse's in my opinion. I like Cisse, but given the choice of him or Owen there's only one winner.

When the chips are down, FA Cup final you need a goal - up pops Michael with two never mind one. He has that x factor.

Imagine him in the same side as Alonso as well.

Cisse is our 20 goal a season man now, he has what owen used to have ie pace and is a much better crosser of a ball than Owen. Also his goal last night was a class finish, so he can finish and you dont become top scorer in france 3 years on the bounce without being able to finish

its clear from today's papers that 12m will be his asking price, Real have set it at 16m, so that alone rules us out.

We need to move on from Owen, i'll be very happy when 31 august has come we have sold Baros and Owen is not here then these pointless agruments and debates will be a thing of the past.

Cheers for the responses from all. MLB, I think you are confirming what Ian says, yes we can debate parts of Owen's game, and he did look half-arsed near the end of his last season (as did Gerrard during the last one, but lets not open a new can of worms!!). But, as you say, he scored goals in and around the box. Of course if Cisse can do the same I am more than happy, but he has so far scored against non-Premiership (dare I say "conference-level) opposition, the goals I have seen from France seem also to be more "blasts" than placing of the ball, and he has missed the easier chances (as well as getting caught offside quite often, to the obvious irritation of Rafa). However, I dont want to be drawn into a too-previous debate of Cisse and whether he will score goals, I think he needs more time to be assessed - my real point is that the opportunity for us to buy Owen (who we know can do it) is now, and we should do so before it is too late...

I would definitely have him back. If Cisse gets injured/suspended and Milan goes, then that only leaves Morientes and Crouch. I do not see them as a partnership. I think a club of our size needs 4 top strikers. We suffered last season with only one fit striker for many matches. I would like Milan to stay but that looks very unlikely. Rafa avoided the subject of Michael last night and never actually said that he did not want him. I can't really see Liverpool getting him back though, however much I would like it. If he does go to Man Utd, then I would hate him. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

I would definitely have him back. If Cisse gets injured/suspended and Milan goes, then that only leaves Morientes and Crouch. I do not see them as a partnership. I think a club of our size needs 4 top strikers. We suffered last season with only one fit striker for many matches. I would like Milan to stay but that looks very unlikely. Rafa avoided the subject of Michael last night and never actually said that he did not want him. I can't really see Liverpool getting him back though, however much I would like it. If he does go to Man Utd, then I would hate him. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

Morientes form does indicate Rafa needs another stirker but id personally go for Kuyt as Owen & Cisse are too similar. I cant see Owen being happy to spend the ammount of time he would spend on the bench if cisse wasnt injured

Guest spanishkopite07

we can only hope guys but i remain hopeful just like winning the lottery every saturday night.Watching the game yesterday,our £7mill man(not going to slag him off)pulls a harmy,Morientes is all sorts,tallec has been sent to wearside and Baros looks to be off this week.Cisse is just finding his feet after a horrific leg break and pongo is getting back from injury.Rafa is his own man,no matter what we think about the Owen situation,he would not be dictated to by players,board or fans.Why do you think he left Valencia..At the moment whoever he brings in must be accepted,as he has won european cup in his 1st season with a mediocre team.As Figo(another ditherer)said,we can only dream,but dreams don't always come true.

Can anyone remember what Rafa said when Michael Owen was linked with us during last season? Didn't he say that he would welcome him back? Surely if he did not rate him, he would not have made any comment at all. I just think that Michael, like Steven has that extra special quality that not many players have. If there is any possible chance we could get him back, I would go for it. Maybe our away form suffered last season because we no longer had Michael. He used to score quite a few goals away from home and he adds that extra cutting edge.

Can anyone remember what Rafa said when Michael Owen was linked with us during last season? Didn't he say that he would welcome him back? Surely if he did not rate him, he would not have made any comment at all. I just think that Michael, like Steven has that extra special quality that not many players have. If there is any possible chance we could get him back, I would go for it. Maybe our away form suffered last season because we no longer had Michael. He used to score quite a few goals away from home and he adds that extra cutting edge.

hmm yeah now you mention it I do remember him saying something like that. Was it when we were linked around the january transfer window? I guess getting him most of all depends on selling young Baros, and aren't real demanding more than £11m for him now too?

Really? You would be happier with Morientes, Cisse and Crouch than with Morientes, Cisse, Crouch & Owen? :ermm:

Now thats where I think it makes sense. In several seasons recently we've suffered from a lack of strikers. None of the ones we have are proven in our league, even Baros only has 19 goals in his Premiership career. And with Baros also on his way out, Crouch, Moro and Cisse is far too lightweight.

Wanting Owen would depend on three things, one, the price being right two Baros leaving. Finally desire, hunger. Since he's already got fed up with us once would he really be able to be the player he was for us, in say 2001 ? Does he really have that drive and hunger left ? So if the price is right and Baros leaves, then its about Rafas judgement on Owens personel drive and ambition, does he have it ? I dont know.

Now thats where I think it makes sense. In several seasons recently we've suffered from a lack of strikers. None of the ones we have are proven in our league, even Baros only has 19 goals in his Premiership career. And with Baros also on his way out, Crouch, Moro and Cisse is far too lightweight.

Wanting Owen would depend on three things, one, the price being right two Baros leaving. Finally desire, hunger. Since he's already got fed up with us once would he really be able to be the player he was for us, in say 2001 ? Does he really have that drive and hunger left ? So if the price is right and Baros leaves, then its about Rafas judgement on Owens personel drive and ambition, does he have it ? I dont know.

Redrosetints - my points precisely - we can all express opinions on such-and-such a striker who has scored in this league and that (e.g. Kuyt), but what Owen represents is someone who WILL do it (I would go that far). With our current 3 (and I would dismiss Pongolle because he didnt show the signs when he was playing), they are too lightweight in goals/ minutes played ratio. In my opinion those kind of strikers, even if they endure lean patches, will deliver hat-tricks and braces, or will score for 6,7, 8 games in succession.

Re. his desire, who knows? But I ask honestly, I think there is only one club he loves in England, whilst he has tried it abroad and has had to come back with his tail between his legs. If that doesn't create drive and ambition, then where else can he go? And what greater ambition than to score the goals that delivers the first championship in 16 years

Interesting last night when pressed in an interview to say he definitely wasn't interested in Michael Owen, Rafa would only say "We are looking for a right winger and centre back".

Now, he could have been just saying it not to be disrespectful to Owen, or open up a load of other press headlines of "Rafa - I think Owen is Shit", or he could have been being careful not to rule anything out...

Re. his desire, who knows? But I ask honestly, I think there is only one club he loves in England, whilst he has tried it abroad and has had to come back with his tail between his legs. If that doesn't create drive and ambition, then where else can he go? And what greater ambition than to score the goals that delivers the first championship in 16 years

Maybe, I dontk know, his attitude in Madrid looked good, I'll give you that. But I would worry about wehter the arrival of his daughter contributed to his 'lacklustre' performances in the twilight of his LFc career. And if the slightest change in priorities that naturally comes with childeren and growing up may have taken away some of his drive and focus. Its one thing being stuck in Madrid thinking 'Theres no place like home' (in a dorothy kinda way), but its a big difference when you walk back through Melwood and think, oh no not here again !

Anyway, aside from all this, Madrid are now supposed to be asking 16m for him and for me, thats too much.

Imagine him in the same side as Alonso as well.

I have just cum.

We should go out and get him IMO but something tells me that Rafa really does not want him. If we did get him it would be courtesy of pressure from Parry and senior players with big fods. :tease:

Something tells me that Rafa is not one to bow to peer pressure but we shall see........