You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coincidence, 1981 / 2005

RedinSweden

In 1981:

Prince Charles got married.

Coronation Street's Ken and Deirdre got married.

There was a new Doctor Who.

Liverpool won 17 league games and finished 5th in the table.

Norwich and Crystal Palace were relegated.

Liverpool won the European Cup.

West Ham United promoted to top division.

Liverpool got knocked out of the European cup as the holders by CSKA

Sofia 2-1 on agg.

In 2005 :

Prince Charles got married.

Coronation Street's Ken and Deirdre got married.

There was a new Doctor Who.

Liverpool won 17 league games and finished 5th in the table.

Norwich and Crystal Palace were relegated.

Liverpool won the European Cup.

West Ham United win promotion to top division.

Liverpool as holders will play CSKA Sofia in 3rd qualifying round of the

Champions League

I was banging on about not believing in omens before Istanbul, even when they benefited us. I don't believe in that simpleton "life's predestined" shite because if it is, what's the point in getting out of bed, you won't be able to change the outcome?

CSKA Sofia was played in 82 not 81 and it was the Quarter Final so it's not strictly the same. Also, I don't believe in coincidences.

I know, but it was the 81/82 season following on from the victory of the previous season.

If stuff is predestined why get out of bed you say? To see what happens!

I know, but it was the 81/82 season following on from the victory of the previous season.

If stuff is predestined why get out of bed you say? To see what happens!

It loses it's magic and it means that you had no input as to the outcome of events, it renders effort and talent pointless as it won't get you anywhere because it's already predestined. It's nonsense. What next, voodoo dolls?

It loses it's magic and it means that you had no input as to the outcome of events, it renders effort and talent pointless as it won't get you anywhere because it's already predestined. It's nonsense. What next, voodoo dolls?

If Phil Neville can be a professional footballer some sort of black magic is at work.

CSKA Sofia was played in 82 not 81 and it was the Quarter Final so it's not strictly the same. Also, I don't believe in coincidences.

In 1981-2 Sofia knocked us out in the 3rd round that we had to play in the competion, just like now.

Seriously, can any team in Europe boast of knocking out 3 reigning European champions:

1973/74 Ajax

1980/81 Nottingham Forest

1981/82 Liverpool

Real Madrid have done it on 5 occasions. Inter in 1965-6, Porto in 1987-8, Dortmund in 1997-8, Manchester Utd in 1999-00 and Bayern Munich in 2001-2.

Guest andyc

You don't believe in coincidences? Surely you mean you don't believe these things are anything more than coincidences? If I go on holiday and my next door neighbour turns out to be staying in the same hotel, that is a coincidence. A coincidence has nothing to do with predestination.

You don't believe in coincidences? Surely you mean you don't believe these things are anything more than coincidences? If I go on holiday and my next door neighbour turns out to be staying in the same hotel, that is a coincidence. A coincidence has nothing to do with predestination.

Ah, the pedant. You know perfectly well what I meant. I don't believe in coincidence holding a deeper meaning.

Guest andyc
Ah, the pedant. You know perfectly well what I meant. I don't believe in coincidence holding a deeper meaning.

What is pedantic about that? The two sentences have a completely different and opposite meaning.

What is pedantic about that? The two sentences have a completely different and opposite meaning.

Because it was a pointless question that didn't require further elaboration. It was possible to deduce from the collection of my posts on this thread, exactly what I meant.

I was banging on about not believing in omens before Istanbul, even when they benefited us. I don't believe in that simpleton "life's predestined" shite because if it is, what's the point in getting out of bed, you won't be able to change the outcome?

I think it is safe to assume that I meant I didn't believe in coincidences being part of the plan of an omnipotent being. It's a football forum, I'm not here for microscopic "anal"ysis of every word I type. It was obvious what I meant, hence the remark about being pedantic.