You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Margaret Thatcher

Elmyn Noos

I went the pub and got Fiesta by The Pogues on. Grabbed a couple of mates on the way giving them the good news. Followed it up with Tramp The Dirt Down by Costello.

Headed up to The Casa. The place was bouncing and got pretty much drunk dry by the end of the night.
  • Upvote 1

I remember when I first found out she had died I punched the air and yelled 'FUCKING GET IN THERE' at the top of my lungs, everyone around me was disgusted, especially as I was the first paramedic at the scene.

(yeah, I know everyone heard it at the time, still makes me laugh though) 

• Upvote 3

I remember when I first found out she had died I punched the air and yelled 'FUCKING GET IN THERE' at the top of my lungs, everyone around me was disgusted, especially as I was the first paramedic at the scene.

(yeah, I know everyone heard it at the time, still makes me laugh though)

Love it!

Rico actively votes for worse policies.

I think the real damage she did was societal damage, a generation of people who think 'every man for himself' is the way it should work. You see that attitude everywhere now, from big business to the school run. It's undoubtedly led to the current mental health crisis and aspects of rising crime, communities can no longer 'self regulate' because in many respects they no longer exist. 

The whole 'if you don't own a home you're shit' is also a uniquely British phenomenon in Europe, nobody else gives a shit. That's squarely down to her. 

• Upvote 5

The whole 'if you don't own a home you're shit' is also a uniquely British phenomenon in Europe, nobody else gives a shit. That's squarely down to her. 

Not sure how, as Britain has one of the lowest rates of home ownership in Europe. Only in Denmark, Germany, Austria and Switzerland are people less likely to own their own homes.

I'm pointing out that you are choosing this joyous thread of celebrating Thatcher being dead to praise her.

You're plain fucking weird.

"Oh, the sky is blue"

"No, it's night-time, it's black"

"Fuck off you, stop praising the sky"

I think the real damage she did was societal damage, a generation of people who think 'every man for himself' is the way it should work. You see that attitude everywhere now, from big business to the school run. It's undoubtedly led to the current mental health crisis and aspects of rising crime, communities can no longer 'self regulate' because in many respects they no longer exist. 

The selling off of all the council houses was catastrophic. She sold 250,000 council houses in the first 2 years of the scheme. We had 5.5 million council houses in the country to go between 55,000,000 people at the start of her tenure. We've now got 1.6 million to go between a population of 66,000,000. 

Housebuilding rates never recovered when she stopped building council houses in the 80's. House prices went up and up with no social housing being built to offset the rise. Now people can't afford to get on the housing ladder - hence Stronts saying Britain has one of the lowest rates of home ownership in Europe. It was all caused by her. 

• Upvote 1

Not sure how, as Britain has one of the lowest rates of home ownership in Europe. Only in Denmark, Germany, Austria and Switzerland are people less likely to own their own homes.

I think home ownership will increasingly become a thing of the past, because of astronomical property prices compared with shit wage growth, day on day, week on week, month on month, year on year, decade on decade.

Hopefully that won't also eventually become the case with food, but who knows, it might.

Whether Thatcher was the pioneering uber cunt of greed, privilege, classism and selfishness, dunno, perhaps she was.

But coming on this thread to somehow maybe mitigate her, SD... I'd say you're on a hiding to nothing.

But coming on this thread to somehow maybe mitigate her, SD... I'd say you're on a hiding to nothing.

I wasn't mitigating anything though. Just saying she didn't drive some uniquely mad rush for house ownership. Quite why it matters either way is beyond me. But there again, quite why anyone would remember that it's five years since an old woman died is mystifying in itself.

I wasn't mitigating anything though. Just saying she didn't drive some uniquely mad rush for house ownership. Quite why it matters either way is beyond me. But there again, quite why anyone would remember that it's five years since an old woman died is mystifying in itself.

Mate, I guess it's like we remember all types of things from the past, good and bad.

Rome 1977, Agincourt, the Berlin bunker, 1917 - why do we bother?

Who knows?  Who cares perhaps.

Me, I think remembering is good, useful and even important.

Churchill, an old cunt of a contradiction most of his life, occasionally sound-byted usefully, conveniently, relevantly and valuably enough nonetheless:

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.”

• Upvote 1

She did drive some uniquely mad rush for home ownership.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/articles/housingandhomeownershipintheuk/2015-01-22

Right To Buy (coupled with restrictions on Council house building) was probably the most far-reaching of all her divisive, destructive, deceptive policies. It's arguably the biggest reason the UK economy is structurally unsound and unjust.