You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Wire

Hoddy

I'd heard decent things about this show, so decided to make the first series the next DVD I bought. To say it was nothing like I was expecting is an understatement. I was thinking it would be a 'The Shield' type gritty drama, but it was nothing of the sort. To try and explain it to someone who's never watched it is difficult. It's not especially violent, it's not ground-breaking in any narrative form, there's no film star trying to rebuild his career by making a move into television, but it's quite simply one of the best shows I've ever watched.

I remember watching the first episode and not being especially blown away by it. That's cos it's not the easiest programme to get into by any means. But once you're in there and have grasped the non-exposition dialogue, the little moments, the fact that not every scene has plot-significance, it's surely one of the most joyful series on TV to watch right now. The fact that you find yourself caring about every character – be they drug pushers or fat waster police –*shows the care that goes into rounding these personalities up.

Basically, I thought I'd start this thread to see what others on here think of the show. Favourite characters, actors, best scenes, best episodes, best moments, best lines of dialogue etc.

For me, there's too many memorable characters to name. The thing about 'The Wire' is hardly any of the actors are famous, which probably adds to the drama in some way. If I was goingt to have to give a shout out to any character, it would have to be the terminally drugged-up 'Bubbles'. The little things he does and says –*like the salute to the US flag at his sister's house are priceless. The scene with McNulty at the end of the series was heartbreaking as well. Heartbreaking without being overplayed one single bit – a common theme throughout the drama.

Best scene is too hard to pick. A few off the top of my head: the chess scene, where D'Angelo's explaining the ruminations of chess to his fellow boys in the 'Jects. A scene that's funny (they're playing chequers with a chess set only because they haven't got any chequers), and preachy without being preachy. It's an allegory for the whole set-up of the show, yet never feels like it because of the nature of the scene. Another one I'd have to pick – a scene that would run in to my favourite line of dialogue also –*is Bunk being sat on a toilet, in a pink dressing gown, complaining about smelling like pussy. His logic of setting fire to the clothes is just one of those things you think about when you're hammered, and it remains one of the best drunk scenes I've ever seen.

• Upvote 2

Agree with that - I spent the first couple of episodes getting into it - and once it all clicked you realised what an unbelievable piece of work it is. I love the way they concentrate on the same story for the entire series, and the chararcters are superb.

Can't wait for the second series

I saw this on FX189 after a tiny little five-line preview in a Sunday paper made me hit Series Link on the Sky+ and I never looked back. It is the best thing I have ever seen on telly, surpassing the likes of The Sopranos, The Shield, The West Wing, in fact any of the others in the top ten I contributed to that TV thread the other week.

It has the most labyrinthean plot ever, yet it never feels contrived - which was my main gripe with 24. The dialogue is HBO - 'nuff said - and the acting is full of nuances and subtlety, with my favourite performances coming from the actors playing Bubbles (the smackhead with a heart Hoddy mentioned) and Omar, a gay psychopath who decides to take on the might of the Avon Barksdale drug cartel with random rip-offs, just for the fuck of it.

In terms of favourite scenes, I liked the one where McNulty gets his kids to tail Avon, pretending it's a game, even though it later jeopardises his access to them. Also the surreally comic scene where he and Bunk go to an old crime scene to re-read the evidence and use variations on the words "cunt" and "fuck" at least a hundred times each, uncovering a new lead in the process.

I also liked the kind of anti-climactic ending where the case just wrapped up and the squad was disbanded. It felt just how the cops must feel after dedicating so much of themselves to such a major operation.

I know there are two further series, neither of which has been broadcast here yet, but don't know anything about them. Hopefully, the brooding Stringer Bell will be involved, as well as McNulty and the rest. Classic television.

Stringer Bell is really something else. Don't know what it is about him that's so awesome, but I think it's, in spite of being physically imposing, the fact that he speaks ever so softly, that makes him such a compelling character. Omar must be the scariest homosexual character in the history of television, but this is another thing that makes this series so great. They don't stress the fact that he's a big bad gay gangster (in other series that would be the hook of the character); he's simply a Robin Hood-type err... hood who's out to avenge the death of his boyfriend. The fact that he just happens to be gay makes the character even more interesting.

Another plus point is the fact that characters' home lives never become THE issue. Yeah, Macnulty can't separate his being a father with his being a cop, but that's just shown to prove how everyone near him ends up in the way of danger.

There's no black and white at all in this series, not many characters who you can definitely say are the 'bad guys' and vice-versa. For example, and I'd like Paul and JER to help me out here, what did you think of Lester's character at the end of the series. To you, did he ever so subtly become a bit of a lecherous perv?

Just finished watching the series again, and it dawned on me that D'Angelo Barksdale really is the hub of the programme. He's the only person from beginning to end who has some sort of involvement with everyone, from Macnulty to Poot to Avon. If there is one main thread that runs through the narrative, it's his interior debate as to whether he wants to get out of the game. His monologue in the final episode about being 'freer in jail than I was out there' is awesome. Brilliantly acted and preached, without ever becoming a sermon-like speech that can sometimes happen on the West Wing (Paul, you probably know what I'm talking about here).

My guess for the second series would be that Avon probably won't last long in jail, and Stringer would become a more prominent character. Couple that with Omar's return and I would hazard a guess that the top dogs reluctantly have to turn to those who know the Barkdales crew better than anyone (Macnulty, Daniels, Lester etc.). My only hope would be that it wouldn't be a retread and, like Paul's mentioned about other programmes, wouldn't be a contrived attempt at a sequel. Somehow I doubt it will.

Stringer Bell is really something else. Don't know what it is about him that's so awesome, but I think it's, in spite of being physically imposing, the fact that he speaks ever so softly, that makes him such a compelling character. Omar must be the scariest homosexual character in the history of television, but this is another thing that makes this series so great. They don't stress the fact that he's a big bad gay gangster (in other series that would be the hook of the character); he's simply a Robin Hood-type err... hood who's out to avenge the death of his boyfriend. The fact that he just happens to be gay makes the character even more interesting.

Another plus point is the fact that characters' home lives never become THE issue. Yeah, Macnulty can't separate his being a father with his being a cop, but that's just shown to prove how everyone near him ends up in the way of danger.

There's no black and white at all in this series, not many characters who you can definitely say are the 'bad guys' and vice-versa. For example, and I'd like Paul and JER to help me out here, what did you think of Lester's character at the end of the series. To you, did he ever so subtly become a bit of a lecherous perv?

Just finished watching the series again, and it dawned on me that D'Angelo Barksdale really is the hub of the programme. He's the only person from beginning to end who has some sort of involvement with everyone, from Macnulty to Poot to Avon. If there is one main thread that runs through the narrative, it's his interior debate as to whether he wants to get out of the game. His monologue in the final episode about being 'freer in jail than I was out there' is awesome. Brilliantly acted and preached, without ever becoming a sermon-like speech that can sometimes happen on the West Wing (Paul, you probably know what I'm talking about here).

My guess for the second series would be that Avon probably won't last long in jail, and Stringer would become a more prominent character. Couple that with Omar's return and I would hazard a guess that the top dogs reluctantly have to turn to those who know the Barkdales crew better than anyone (Macnulty, Daniels, Lester etc.). My only hope would be that it wouldn't be a retread and, like Paul's mentioned about other programmes, wouldn't be a contrived attempt at a sequel. Somehow I doubt it will.

I actually thought Avon was probably the weakest character in it, with Stringer the de facto boss of the crew; certainly its brains. So, I'd imagined he wouldn't be back, although maybe he'll be runnin' t'ings from inside.

Good point on the "issues" too. Sexuality is just matter of fact, ie, the lesbian cop is just a cop who happens to be a lesbian.

I'm currently listening to a bit of Kate Bush, you don't get no butcher than that hombre.

Kate fucking Bush. I hold her personally responsible for all the fucking bints like Dildo and the rest who can't carry a tune and therefore wail in a banshee-esque manner. Fucking get some singing lessons.

Kate fucking Bush. I hold her personally responsible for all the fucking bints like Dildo and the rest who can't carry a tune and therefore wail in a banshee-esque manner. Fucking get some singing lessons.

Dildo hardly wails, she whispers.

Bush rules. Some of it is off the wall but it's good. Can't beat a bit of Hounds of love/Running up the hill/Wuthering heights.

Went a bit mental today in the sales and bought up loads of cd's from people I should have stuff by but haven't.

The four tops

Nina Simone

Kate Bush

The Temptations

Also got Hullabaloo by Muse and Cast of thousands by Elbow.

And a huircut.

And a stereo for the car (rrp £200 - purchased for £119!).

And a 258mb memory stick.

And some shopping (including trainer socks).

I also eat a subway meatball sandwich wioth Jalapaenos for those who are interested.

Days off are never restful! And so ends my interesting diary log.

I also ate a subway meatball sandwich with Jalapenos for those who are interested.

What was it like? Ever since I first saw "Point Break" I've wanted to try a meatball Sub. Now Subway is absolutely everywhere, but I still haven't tried one.

Pretty damn good. Obviously you have to take the cheese option when offered and get full salad on it. The bread goes a bit soggy but thats half the fun. It's meatballs; in a sandwich...it's as good as you'd expect it to be.

You have to get involved with those Jalapaenos though, they are essential to any subway.

(by the way subway are evil and thier franchising policy is disgraceful...but I can't help myself sometimes!!)

Agree with that - I spent the first couple of episodes getting into it - and once it all clicked you realised what an unbelievable piece of work it is. I love the way they concentrate on the same story for the entire series, and the chararcters are superb.

Can't wait for the second series

The 2nd serie's not out yet over there? can get the full series 1 and 2(seperate) over here for 20 quid if anyone wants a copy?

Don't you ever find with the meatball sub though that the meatballs keep slipping out the end of the sub and get all over your fingers? I come out of the place looking like I've had my hand up a cow's ass.

Meatball's no. 1, closely followed by steak and cheese (with ex. cheese). No salad or sauces for me, which kind of negates the point of going in there, but hey ho.

I actually thought Avon was probably the weakest character in it, with Stringer the de facto boss of the crew; certainly its brains. So, I'd imagined he wouldn't be back, although maybe he'll be runnin' t'ings from inside.

Good point on the "issues" too. Sexuality is just matter of fact, ie, the lesbian cop is just a cop who happens to be a lesbian.

She just happens to be a woman with a police uniform, who likes to lick other women's beaver, but it doesn't define who she is, man. Right on.

Screw the subtle nuances of dialogue. Do we get to see any licky licky?

She just happens to be a woman with a police uniform, who likes to lick other women's beaver, but it doesn't define who she is, man. Right on.

Screw the subtle nuances of dialogue. Do we get to see any licky licky?

Bit of titty action and a suggestion of licky licky with a timely cut-away from the director. But neither of them are great lookers.

• 2 weeks later...

Series Two begins on Wednesday night at 10pm on the FX channel. Hit "Series Link" kids - you won't regret it.

Oh, and while we're at it, the new series of The Shield starts tonight on 5. That's another "series link" must.

• 8 years later...
  • 5 years later...