You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

boys from the mersey

bri

How do you know its total bollocks Hermes?

You were probably sitting at home reading shoot!

There probably IS some poetic licence used, but when I read it last year, it was like sittin in the pub listning to mates talk about the old euro aways!

Joeyb, its a good read mate!

Guest el rey, #14
anyone read it

Read it a few weeks ago. Some of it seemed a bit far-fetched to me, bits about bunking into grounds and travelling all over europe without a pound it their pockets. But that may be because i'm only 22 and things like that would never happen now and i'm too young to know if thats the way it could have been.

I was talking to a fella on my flight to istanbul, who saw me reading it. He said from what he remembers about the 70's and 80's most of it was pretty true.

Some real funny stuff in it aswell. Worth a read, but take it with a pinch of salt, or maybe thats just me being cynical.

Read it a few weeks ago. Some of it seemed a bit far-fetched to me, bits about bunking into grounds and travelling all over europe without a pound it their pockets. But that may be because i'm only 22 and things like that would never happen now and i'm too young to know if thats the way it could have been.

I was talking to a fella on my flight to istanbul, who saw me reading it. He said from what he remembers about the 70's and 80's most of it was pretty true.

Some real funny stuff in it aswell. Worth a read, but take it with a pinch of salt, or maybe thats just me being cynical.

No idea about the book but I know my old man became pretty accustomed to bunking down to Wembley for cup finals and bunking in when he got there too. He was only young when he was doing it but back then that type of thing was quite common from what i've heard.

How do you know its total bollocks Hermes?

You were probably sitting at home reading shoot!

Most of the domestic aways which were featured in the book I attended. Tottenham in the Cup '80 or '81, Derby County '75, Wolves '76, Aberdeen '81, Man U whenever in the 70' and '80s. All of the stories in the book surrounding those games are either total fabrication or grossly exagerrated. If you didn't know better you'd think we had 10,000 hooligans attending every away game.

Cheers Andy

whilst were on the subject I can recommend The Fight by Norman Mailer and the dvd When We Were Kings. The best film about boxin ever

I would reccomend Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Anyone into The Da Vinci Code would like this.

For footy related books, Soul Crew is not a bad read by the Cardiff Hooligans.

I just read it and like el rey#14 and I feel the same way. Entertaining but I guess also a bit exaggerated. The author (Nicholas Alt if my memory serves me right) criticises other authors of "hooligan books" for tyring to be hard, but he sure makes an effort to come across as being hard himself.

Guest Gazmo25

It is a decent read and I have spoke to people who were going around that time and they have told me that some of it is true, some of it not. Artistic license I think they call it

Guest FrankH
I just read it and like el rey#14 and I feel the same way. Entertaining but I guess also a bit exaggerated. The author (Nicholas Alt if my memory serves me right) criticises other authors of "hooligan books" for tyring to be hard, but he sure makes an effort to come across as being hard himself.

Thats exactly what I thought too. It was enjoyable, but maybe exaggerated.

"I would reccomend Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Anyone into The Da Vinci Code would like this."

Dude I gotta disagree. "Da Vinci Code" was terrible. Started OK, but then descended into farce. Pure junk.

"I would reccomend Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Anyone into The Da Vinci Code would like this."

Dude I gotta disagree. "Da Vinci Code" was terrible. Started OK, but then descended into farce. Pure junk.

Your the first person I have ever met with a bad opinion of it. I would be interested to know which bits of it you thought were farcical

Or borrow it as I did, don't buy it and fill the pockets of somebody shaming the name of LFC with fabricated stories. We drove one publication out of Merseyside for doing that.

Thats out of order Hermes.

I only started going the game in the 80's and from what I remember there was ALOT of robbing and bunking into grounds, I am sure it was even worse in the 70's. It was a sign of the times but it did happen, whether you were involved or whether you like it or not, in this case, it is 'THE TRUTH'.

Guest FrankH
I would reccomend Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Anyone into The Da Vinci Code would like this.

For footy related books' date=' Soul Crew is not a bad read by the Cardiff Hooligans.[/quote']

Reading Angels & Demons at the moment, got it at Christmas - and I would agree if you like the Da Vinci Code, you'll like this - probably because the storyline is so similar.