You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ch-ch-ch-changes!

05 Milan

after listening to the radio city collage from The Game with "Heroes" in the background, I just can't get that song out of my head, it's just ace. I've heard it before, but only in norwegian TV-shop snippets.

therefore, I decided to download some Bowie just to check out more of his stuff. Alas, there's just so much, I don't know whats crap and what's the good stuff, can any of ye olde 70's acid victims (think NP would be a good shout here) guide me in the right direction?

much appreciated

• Upvote 1

try

David Bowie (June 1967)

Hunky Dory (December 1971)

Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (June 1972)

t start with

Yeah totally agree - the earlier stuff is the best. The DVD of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars is well worth watching if you want to get the glam-rock atmosphere. Some of Bowie's performances are superb - he's obviously off his face but incredibly charismatic. The quality of the DVD is a bit iffy but well worth watching when you're suitably 'elevated'.

• Upvote 1

Life On Mars, Starman and The Man Who Sold The World are some of the finest tunes ever written. Bowie is a complete legend. I remember reading an interview with him not to long back where he was asked where came up with the idea for Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars, and he said that he so off his face at the time that it just seemed to be reality when he was coming up with all of this crazy stuff.

Yeah the 70's stuff is the best. All the stuff recommended above you have to go for. Ziggy Stardust and Diamond Dogs are awesome. Personally I have ultimate respect for the guy, but hate any of the 80's stuff.

"Let's Dance" - the Chic influence was crucial to me liking anything by Bowie, apart from the idea of him. Anyone else have artists whose music they hate whilst liking the fact that they exist (on a strictly non-"T 'n' A" kind of level, Kylie fans)?

Trying to think of more examples. Lou Reed. With the odd (obvious) exception, I find his "music" dull as dishwater. However, I love the fact that the narky old smacked-up queen exists.

Who else? I was going to say Dylan, but I hate him as well as his music. That voice is worse than finger nails down a blackboard.

Anyone got any of these?

Trying to think of more examples. Lou Reed. With the odd (obvious) exception, I find his "music" dull as dishwater. However, I love the fact that the narky old smacked-up queen exists.

Who else? I was going to say Dylan, but I hate him as well as his music. That voice is worse than finger nails down a blackboard.

Anyone got any of these?

Manic Street Preachers - like their politics, not keen on the music apart from a couple - that one that goes ' if we tolerate this...'

Bruce Springsteen - as above.