You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Subject: Jamie Bulger

kop

Me too. It's what proud scousers from Belfast everywhere would want.

And what the hell does this have to do with being from Liverpool? What if a case exactly like this has happened to a family member of mine and I wanted to draw similarities between what I want done with those who carried out that, and those two cunts who carried this out on Jamie Bulger.

This has got nothing to do with trying to be a proud scouser, you ignorant man.

Guest TK-421
What if a case exactly like this has happened to a family member of mine and I wanted to draw similarities between what I want done with those who carried out that, and those two cunts who carried this out on Jamie Bulger.

If that were the case I probably wouldn't say anything at all for fear of offending you, and if I said anything I'd couch it in more tactful terms, but I'd still think you would be wrong to want a public hanging.

People still murder people. Lots. They just tend to go at it with the intention of not getting caught.

I think the United States is too complex a place to draw any conclusions, one way or the other, about the effectiveness of capital punishment. It has a unique and deeply ingrained gun culture(I don't think there is another country in the world who would enshrine the right to bear arms in their constitution) as well as a persecuted minority of the population who the government are, by their own words and deeds, engaged in a war with.

Capital punishment is not effective as a deterrent to people who run the real risk of death every day they go out in the street. If you want to make that argument, I think there are too many external factors for America to be an example.

Guest davelfc
Cheers for the neg, Dave. Just think about that next time you wear a JFT96 badge, yeah?

LOLZ!

Next to my police badge, looks smart.

Moving on. I think a revamp of the justice system geared around punishment then rehabilitation would be better. I don't get the shit about jailed for 5 years and out after 2 on parole. You should be jailed for 5 years, that's it! Two and a half years hard labour and 2 and a half years rehabilitation. If you don't behave then extend the hard labour and the sentence.

For people that are already institutionalised prison holds absolutely no fear, same for foreigners who visit or move here. Would you like to spend 2 years in a Bangkok prison? Ours must seem like the London Hilton to some.

I have spent a short time in a prison as a prison officer, I also have friends who currently serve in various prisons. Last time I spoke to one he told me a lot of the inmates spent their time playing on their game consoles, some rehab that is.

Guest davelfc

The same argument always seeps out, "people still kill people" or some other ill thought out crap. That's like saying what's the point of having laws if people still break them. Fuck it, let them run riot eh?

Also the shit argument that there's no difference between someone murdering an innocent person and then having their life taken. I hope none of you have to suffer the loss of a close relative or friend to the hands of a murderer. I hope none of you have to have nightmares about the pain, horror and torture they might have suffered.

I'll bang the drum for capital punishment until they make them suffer every day of their life instead of living a comfortable life. I'd also push the button, flick the switch or pull the trigger if they're looking for someone to do that, with a smile on my face.

Also the shit argument that there's no difference between someone murdering an innocent person and then having their life taken. I hope none of you have to suffer the loss of a close relative or friend to the hands of a murderer. I hope none of you have to have nightmares about the pain, horror and torture they might have suffered.

But I cant see how killing the murderer puts an end to the pain of losing a loved one. The only justification for capital punishment is revenge

Daily beatings and a weekly hosing in jail. Bread and water breakfast and lunch. One main meal a day.

Make prison scary. Make people scared of the police. Then we would be on our way

That sounds scary to you and me but there are people out there who would still end up going and then end up back in there again and again.

The same argument always seeps out, "people still kill people" or some other ill thought out crap. That's like saying what's the point of having laws if people still break them. Fuck it, let them run riot eh?

I'll bang the drum for capital punishment until they make them suffer every day of their life instead of living a comfortable life. I'd also push the button, flick the switch or pull the trigger if they're looking for someone to do that, with a smile on my face.

And the people who are found to be innocent after you've effectively murdered them? You win some, you lose some mentality going on there?

Guest davelfc
And the people who are found to be innocent after you've effectively murdered them? You win some, you lose some mentality going on there?

That completes the set of tired arguments against. I am really going to drop this now, we all have opinions and there are some valid reasons for and against but zero chance of it coming back, so pointless in the end.

Even in countries with the severest punishments people still murder each other.

Yes, and it'll always happen but there still needs to be punishments and actions must have consequences. Whether those punishments prevent future crimes is another matter altogether.

Guest ShoePiss
That completes the set of tired arguments against. I am really going to drop this now, we all have opinions and there are some valid reasons for and against but zero chance of it coming back, so pointless in the end.

Miscarriages of justice is hardly a tired argument, it's extremely current and debate worthy.

The problem is there seems to be a distinct lack of deterrent nowadays not that, that will deter the real scumbags from committing atrocities.

A lot of less serious crimes could be prevented by more 'creative' punishment though.

If the death penalty was ever brought back, you would need a death row style of delay in execution to prevent miscarriages of justice.

Thing that pisses me off, is the length of sentences handed out for non-violent crimes / crimes against the state, like tax evasion, when compared with Paedo's & rapist's jail time.

Too much emphasis placed on fiscal loss instead of emotional / physical damage caused.

Tiring that there are genuine and valid reasons why the death penalty is not the correct response for any society to deal with the punishment of serious crimes

Guest ShoePiss

I'll respond to your neg here dave, yes the topic of miscarriages of justice is current. They still happen and people are still dealing with the fall out of them.

Current.

Getting even was the basis of many primate semantic confusions, such as 'expropriating the expropriators', 'an absolute crime demands an absolute penalty', 'they did this to me so I can do it to them', and, in general, the emotional mathematics of 'one plus one equals zero' (1+1=0).

These primates were so dumb they didn't realise that one plus one equals two (1+1=2) and one murder plus one murder equals two murders, one crime plus one crime equals two crimes, etc.

They did not understand causality at all.

Here endeth the lesson.

Guest davelfc
I'll respond to your neg here dave, yes the topic of miscarriages of justice is current. They still happen and people are still dealing with the fall out of them.

Current.

For the death penalty, in this country, really? Fucking hell I didn't realise, I take it all back.

Haha would you fuck pull the trigger. Stop talkin shit. Lovin this thread full of forum hard cases.

Guest davelfc
That's pathetic.

What? That I'm talking about the death penalty and someone else is talking about something different?

I thought this was about mistakes when sentencing someone to death, examples in this country would be from before 1965. Given the advances in forensics and major improvements in the legal system (believe it or not) PACE for example. I think that argument is daft.

But it isn't coming back, it won't ever happen so we can continue to argue (although I'd rather not) but I don't believe anyone involved will change their mind either.

Pointless.

Guest davelfc
Haha would you fuck pull the trigger. Stop talkin shit. Lovin this thread full of forum hard cases.

Shhhh, having carried a weapon in my job for a long time I'd be fucked if they actually found out that I wouldn't have used it.

Plus it's hardly an act of a hard man to use a gun, now a hammer, that takes guts.

It's the fact he was given a second chance rightly or wrongly and then of all things was caught downloading peado shite,does this not change peoples opinions on what rights he should and shouldn't have ??. What does that get put down to ?? I'll buy into it the rehabilitation stuff to a degree but after hearing that I don't know where else there is to go.

I don't buy into it at all; I don't agree with the death penalty but I do believe a wrong un is a wrong un. Treat them humanely but just keep them out of harms way, that's all I've ever asked. I'm not talking here about your common or garden criminal, just the real nasty bastards, you aint changing them.

Guest davelfc
Naahh , a spoons the true hardman's weapon of choice.

And yes i have used one in anger.

Fucking internet hard man, you're not scaring us with your spoons. Like you've got the balls to use spoons.