You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Israel - A Rant

Rashid

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

No specific point, I just thought the extra information would be useful, especially as it contradicts some of what was in the news report (eg he apparently took his reflective vest off).

Not condemning someone being shot for throwing stones though no? Negged

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

No specific point, I just thought the extra information would be useful, especially as it contradicts some of what was in the news report (eg he apparently took his reflective vest off).

Does it contradict it though? It doesn’t show him, if it is him, being shot. So, I guess it’s open. No harm in posting that video though. Is there more footage or did the battery in the drone miraculously run out when they shot him? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Numero Veinticinco said:

Does it contradict it though? It doesn’t show him, if it is him, being shot. So, I guess it’s open. No harm in posting that video though. Is there more footage or did the battery in the drone miraculously run out when they shot him? 

Your guess is as good as mine. I can't verify the provenance of the video and presented it without comment or judgement. And it is certainly possible he put his vest back on after throwing rocks/petrol bombs/whatever.

• Downvote 3

Just now, Strontium Dog said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I can't verify the provenance of the video and presented it without comment or judgement. And it is certainly possible he put his vest back on after throwing rocks/petrol bombs/whatever.

erm....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moof said:

When do you ever do that?

If only there was a search function that would help you find these things out for yourself.

On 08/04/2010 at 11:33, Strontium Dog said:

Israel's response then to the aggression of rocket attacks was horribly disproportionate

On 08/09/2014 at 20:13, Strontium Dog said:

I didn't say that and wouldn't say that, especially as I said it was disproportionate myself.

On 30/04/2018 at 19:17, Strontium Dog said:

Not at all. I hope they do read what I've written, and then they'll know that I condemn the excessive use of force whenever it is used.

On 16/05/2018 at 01:44, Strontium Dog said:

I condemned the use of excessive force in general terms (albeit, this is an Israel thread, so, you know) but I referred to their actions specifically as disproportionate and an over-reaction. Always happy to condemn Israel's excessive use of violence

56 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I guess the problem is that English is the first language for most people on this website, and therefore the stench of shenanigans isn't particularly difficult to detect.

No, the problem is that people prefer to cling to their own faith-based beliefs rather than taking the actual facts for what they are, even when presented with overwhelming evidence.

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

No, the problem is that people prefer to cling to their own faith-based beliefs rather than taking the actual facts for what they are, even when presented with overwhelming evidence.

I disagree. I think the problem is partial evidence displayed dishonestly in order to further an agenda. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I disagree. I think the problem is partial evidence displayed dishonestly in order to further an agenda. 

My only agenda is self-defence. I've been asked when I have done X, and presented a litany of examples of when I have done X. If someone is going to accuse me of lying on all those occasions, then they had better support it with evidence.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

My only agenda is self-defence. I've been asked when I have done X, and presented a litany of examples of when I have done X. If someone is going to accuse me of lying on all those occasions, then they had better support it with evidence.

That’s not your only agenda overall, but I had no issue with you responding to moof with what you did. It’s a fair answer to his question. I was talking in the wider context. 

55 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

People are basing their opinion on the overwhelming evidence. 

Not the handful of comments over the last decade posted in order to display a veneer of balance. It simply doesn't wash. No-one fucking believes it. I don't know why you insist on either pretending to be an imbecile or pretending everyone else is.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

People are basing their opinion on the overwhelming evidence. 

Not the handful of comments over the last decade posted in order to display a veneer of balance. It simply doesn't wash. No-one fucking believes it. I don't know why you insist on either pretending to be an imbecile or pretending everyone else is.

I don't suppose you'll be presenting any of this "overwhelming evidence", will you? If it's so overwhelming, it should be an easy task.

Hardly a day goes by without someone claiming something about me which isn't true, for which they assert there is lots of evidence, which they never present a single shred of. Funny, that. Almost as if the evidence doesn't exist.

52 minutes ago, Strontium Dog said:

I don't suppose you'll be presenting any of this "overwhelming evidence", will you? If it's so overwhelming, it should be an easy task.

Hardly a day goes by without someone claiming something about me which isn't true, for which they assert there is lots of evidence, which they never present a single shred of. Funny, that. Almost as if the evidence doesn't exist.

Claiming that doesn’t make it true. I’ve done it a number of times. Relying on the laboriousness of a task to defend yourself from old posts being dragged up doesn’t mean they didn’t happen. 

It's not especially laborious, not now the search function and multi-quote works really well. It took me about three minutes to assemble all those comments upthread. But, tell you what, I will do the hard work of dredging if people can just give me a vague inkling. I mean, they must have at least a vague idea of what I'm supposed to have said, given they're basing their entire opinion upon it.

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

I won't be, no. For a multitude of reasons. One being that's it's really dull. Another being that you have a 100% track record of being the referee is such interactions. It's why people don't bother any more. 

However, thirdly, and this was really my point, posts in isolation just like stats without context, don't paint a very representative picture. You know this, which is why you're so keen to do the former. You find a post from 42 years ago where you criticised the sleeve length of IDF uniforms and this, in your eyes, exonerates you from any accusations of imbalance. 

The overwhelming evidence is the body of work. The hundreds of posts related to the topic. The difference in tone when describing actions carried out by Israel and actions carried out by Palestine, the number of articles/criticisms posted about each side of the situation, etc, etc. It's precisely why I alluded to the fact that anyone with a decent grasp of the English language can see your angle. They can see what you think about the topic. It isn't balanced, and you know this. In fact, it's this mind-numbingly tedious pretense from you that is most, well, mind-numbingly tedious. 

• Upvote 3